• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PDD Researc

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Completed the survey

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Who would give their bird the vaccine? :facepalm:
Not me. The vaccine would have to be proven to be successful for several years before I just took Java in to be vaccinated. Even then, he'll always be an only- bird so I don't think he's at risk. If scientists aren't 110% sure, them I'm not going to chance it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Not me, not now. Jasper has a probable short life span any way, and she doesn't need to be stressed with unknown side effects from a new vaccine.
I'm very pleased that there is still research going on.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Completed. I would give the vaccine. Jingo is young and healthy and may not always be a lone bird.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Depends on the bird but I would, especially a younger, healthy bird. They are finding that up to 60% of parrots have bornavirus and may never develop PDD. They think that stress may be what brings about PDD. You have to start somewhere. We've been at a stand still with research for too long...we have to move forward.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
OMG did I read the thing wrong?

It said ALL test subjects were infected with ABV after the vaccine correct?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
OMG did I read the thing wrong?

It said ALL test subjects were infected with ABV after the vaccine correct?

That is correct. All 3 groups were infected. One before vaccine, one after vaccine and then the control group.

Science is sometimes cruel :(

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I think they are looking for a vaccine to treat parrots who test ABV positive birds to stop them from getting PDD...at least that's my understanding.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The vaccine did not stop PDD development in birds that were given the vaccine after being infected with ABV.

It was only effective for birds who did not have ABV.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@jmfleish - Do you have the full explanation of the survey and test parameters? Can't seem to bring it up on the University site and I'd really like to read it again.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
No I don't...Shauna, where are you getting your information from?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Avian Bornavirus and Proventricular Dilation Disease (PDD)

Avian Bornavirus is a virus that infects the nervous system of birds. In 2008, two research teams independently reported the presence of Avian Bornavirus in birds diagnosed with Proventricular Dilation Disease (PDD), also known as Macaw Wasting Disease. Later studies found that birds infected with Avian Bornavirus can develop PDD. As a result of this and other work, Avian Bornavirus is recognized as the causative agent of PDD.

The Disease

Avian Bornavirus infects nerve cells and the clinical signs of the disease result from the bird’s immune system interfering with the normal function of these infected nerves. The disease often manifests as a series of gastrointestinal intestinal problems. Intestinal paralysis and general degradation of intestinal function eventually result in death by starvation. The disease can also cause a host of neurological symptoms, including depression, tremors, loss of balance and coordination, blindness, and seizures, which can also lead to death.

Infection and Transmission

How birds normally become infected with Avian Bornavirus is still uncertain. Infected birds shed the virus in droppings and feather dander, thus transmission is most likely from exposure to the virus through these sources. Birds infected with Avian Bornavirus can remain healthy for many years, even decades, before becoming sick. Unfortunately, this means an entire group of birds can be placed at risk for the development of PDD well before the initial infection is detected.

Development of a Promising New Avian Bornavirus Vaccine

There is currently no treatment available for PDD. However, in 2014 researchers led by Dr. Ian Tizard of the Schubot Exotic Bird Health Center at Texas A&M University successfully developed and tested a new vaccine intended to protect birds from PDD. The vaccine is made from a recombinant Avian Bornavirus nucleoprotein. To date, the vaccine has been tested in Cockatiels and has been found to prevent the development of PDD.

In the vaccine trials, three groups of cockatiels were used:

Group 1 - vaccinated, then one month later infected with Avian Bornavirus;

Group 2 - infected with Avian Bornavirus, then vaccinated one month later; and,

Group 3 - infected with Avian Bornavirus, but not vaccinated.

Results of the study were:

Birds vaccinated before being infected (Group 1), did not develop PDD and survived.

The vaccine did not protect birds if given after infection (Group 2).

All groups became infected with Avian Bornavirus and virus was shed in their droppings.

While the current vaccine does not prevent birds from becoming infected with Avian Bornavirus, the results suggests that if the vaccine is given before the birds are infected, it has the potential to protect at least some species from becoming sick with the disease PDD.

The Future

Further studies of the vaccine involving other parrot species (Macaws, Amazons, African Grays, Cockatoos, etc.) are planned.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
1. So, if they shed the virus after vaccination, they could infect non-vaccinated birds that could go on to get PDD?
Sounds like you'd have to vaccinate just in self-defense.

2. Since there are a number of kinds of ABV, and having one doesn't protect you from getting another type * which type are they using to make the vaccination and would they only be protected against one type?
*The genetic variability of ABV is much greater than that observed in Borna Disease Virus. There is a 91 to 100% shared nucleotide identity within a genotype and
only 68 to 85% between genotypes. Different genotypes seem to cause different disease in different species and individuals but the relationship between genotype,
species of bird, and observed clinical disease is obscure at this time. Infection with one genotype does not appear to be protective against another. Simultaneous
infection with two genotypes can occur and may result in severely worse clinical disease.
from
Avian Bornaviral Ganglioneuritis in Clinical Practice
Robert D. Dahlhausen, DVM, MS, Susan E Orosz, PhD, DVM, Dipl ABVP(Avian), Dipl ECZM(Avian)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
will be giving this link to Dr Barb&Tony tomorrow. They deal with this.
Also I should send it to
M.A.A.R.S. the sanctuary, in MN, , better then half their birds have PDD.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Birds infected with Avian Bornavirus can remain healthy for many years, even decades, before becoming sick. Unfortunately, this means an entire group of birds can be placed at risk for the development of PDD well before the initial infection is detected.
Sounds like you'd have to vaccinate just in self-defense.

2. Since there are a number of kinds of ABV, and having one doesn't protect you from getting another type * which type are they using to make the vaccination and would they only be protected against one type?

I would give our guys the vaccine after it's been completely proven and approved, only because it's so scary that the disease can hide for years! No quarantine can catch that. :( And with the different types, it sounds like they'd need one like our flu vaccines, one that covers multiple types.

It was awful to read how it's being tested; I understand, but it's still sad. I'm telling myself that this could save many birds if they complete it, but if they did decide not to continue due to lack of interest, those birds have died for nothing. There's no good answer. :sad1:

And I read the survey before coffee this morning. When they were asking if we wanted to give our email, etc, if we wanted to be kept up-to-date, did that feel like they might be putting out feelers for potential volunteer subjects for late-stage testing? Especially after they just asked how many of what kinds of birds we had? :unsure1: I'm hoping I just read too much into that.