• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

PBFD discussion

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Following on a thread where PBFD was discussed and the topic of disinfectants and whether suggested ones were effective.
This thread is talk about anything related to this dreadful disease, new research, new methods of killing the disease, what's effective, what isn't, what can be done, how do you test for it and such, so off we go.....when I get home tonight I will gather the bits and pieces I know about the disease and let's see if we can become more educated on it. :)

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Hankmacaw I've been looking at the F10 website which is F10 disinfectants and treatment products treatment of Avian Influenza (Bird Flu), Newcastle Disease, IBD, Parvo and PBFD which is a South Africa based company, under the vet disinfectant I can see that F10
Is listed to be effective against circoviruses. It doesn't list PBFD specifically although you can see the link had changed to show it in the title but in the body of the product if formation it only states "circoviruses". As PBFD is a circovirus it would make sense to assume that it is effective. I'd be interested to get a definite answer from the manufacturer. Until then I will be using a rotation of Virkon S and F10 for my PBFD preventative measures when doing my weekly disinfecting. :)
Another site you linked specifically said what dilution to use, I couldn't get it to work on my phone so will check later on unless you can whip it up here. :)

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@CheekyBeaks I found what I needed, F10 is indeed effective and has a specific dilution and schedule of disinfection to be effective against PBFD. :cool:

Details here: :: Health & Hygiene :: The Facts...

Certainly gives me piece of mind that I don't have to use Virkon S as it is a very toxic product and needs to be prepped correctly. Although I will still do a yearly wash down with it or mainly use it on the outside of the house where the wild ones land.

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
That's great :) I would have thought my vet would have mentioned if it wasn't effective against particular pathogens as they highly recommend F10.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This is what I would like this thread to do, dispel mysteries, allow us to see what range of weapons we have to go into combat and arm is with information to deal with PBFD. :)

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
I skimmed through the article, am I right in thiking the dilution for F10 is 1:100 for Circovirus. The highest dilution rate on the bottle mentioned is 1:125 (parvovirus) which is what I use if I know I need some muscle, general cleaing I tend to use the 1:250

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes that's what I read the dilution is as well 1:100 for circoviruses.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
I know this thread is a little old but thought I'd try here first.

I have just purchased F10 online.

I will be looking after a cockatoo with PBFD for a few days. He will be housed in his cage in a room separate from the house. I will spend time with him however will change and shower before tending to my budgie in the house. Clothing worn will be washed in F10 and discarded once the birdsitting is over. I will clean his cage daily and everything will be kept separate to anything used for Louis and discarded thereafter.

The 'too with PBFD is pretty much bare of feathers. He has lived with my parents for the past 6 or 8 years and is extremely friendly. They rescued him from his plight upon finding him weak on their property, unaware of his illness. He eventually he trusted them enough for him to be put in a cage. He is an amazing little thing. He loves talking and saying "hello there" and loves a good stroke on his back. He pokes his head out of his cage for a pat and rests his head and beak in your palm. I know in theory he should have been euthanased but he wasnt and he lives inside with my parents. He has a heater to keep him warm. He is a gorgeous little thing.

I realise the need to not contaminate my own birds environment. I have read extensively of the disease.

Does anyone have any useful/positive suggestions for me in addition to the above?

Many thanks in advance!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I realise the need to not contaminate my own birds environment. I have read extensively of the disease.
Then you realize that bringing this bird inside your home with your other birds, different room or not, you are taking a very big risk. The chances of it infecting your environment far outweigh the chance that it won't. That is your risk and your decision to make.

The proper advice would be to keep this bird in a different air space (or building) in order to truly be safe.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He will be housed in his cage in a room separate from the house.
Yes I'm a little confused as to what she said. Separate room still attached to the house? Same air system?

slinky-kitty

Hi again. The bird will be housed in a separate room not attached to the house. Totally separate ventilation however is attached by a verandah. I do realise the risk. As someone who has to employ infection control measures on a daily basis I am also accustomed to the basic principles of quarantine. I wish there was another option but there is nowhere else for my parents bird to be looked after while they are away.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I hope everything works out.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Remember to blow your nose, wash your ears and under your nails too. Don't forget to not wear the contaminated shoes into the house either.

My thoughts will be with you that you still don't carry it into your flock as that is still a high risk for them.

slinky-kitty

Thank you very much @JLcribber @Macaw Lover and @Bartleby for your input and advise. The F10 arrived last night. Also got F10 wipes and gel pump for hands. Have disposable gown, hat and booties and have cleaned thoroughly inside and in Scruffys room outside. Have scrub for hands and nail scraper. And will remember to blow my nose etc and still wont wear shoes inside even though using booties over. I have washed all our carpets and the room outside before Scruffy arriving. He arrived this afternoon. I have diluted F10 1:100 and have sprayed down the "transition area" which is the laundry and will continue to clean/disinfect as much as I can. Would you recommend spraying the carpet in the house with F10? From my reading and reading some threads re F10 on AA it sounds as though this is effective if allowed to dry.

Last edited: