• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parsley Toxicity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
So I got this cute little planter that has sweet basil and parsley in it. I got the little kid one cause the other one had chives and I didn't think those would be good at all lol. So, is parsley toxic? I decided to ask you guys since I've gotten a few mixed reviews.

This is what I have found:

Parsley has often been reported as toxic in birds, but it has only been shown in ducks and ostriches to cause a sensitivity to the sun. No evidence exists to show this effect in pet birds, and many diets contain small amounts with no harmful effects.
Source: http://www.oldworldaviaries.com/text/miscellaneous/toxicoses.html

Soooo, do you guys feed parsley? Even if I don't feed it to the birds I want to make sure that even if they somehow get onto the table or wherever I'm putting this and eat a bit that they'll be okay. And can I feed them a bit of the sweet basil as well? I've read several places that basil is safe.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I watch the Nutrition for Pets group on Facebook; Scott Echols has stated that for smaller birds (cockatiels, conures, quakers, etc), he recommends smaller leafy veggies such as parsley, dill and cilantro, as they tend to be favored over large leaf varieties. So, since I saw that, I have incorporated parsley into my regime. So far it hasn't been a HUGE hit, but Koopa at least played with it long enough to throw it to the floor :rolleyes:

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
I watch the Nutrition for Pets group on Facebook; Scott Echols has stated that for smaller birds (cockatiels, conures, quakers, etc), he recommends smaller leafy veggies such as parsley, dill and cilantro, as they tend to be favored over large leaf varieties. So, since I saw that, I have incorporated parsley into my regime. So far it hasn't been a HUGE hit, but Koopa at least played with it long enough to throw it to the floor :rolleyes:
I forgot I was apart of that group too. Hmm. Good to know! I'm not sure my birds will eat it... Although Neelix might. I really want to grow some stuff and this seems easy enough, if it's good for them and they like it that's a plus!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
The link doesn't work for me...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Got it to work. Had to download it then open. Thanks! Reading it now!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I feed small amounts of parsley in their cooked foods. It's an amazing healthy herb.

Daisy_G2

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
We started trying to give Daisy organic parsley, because it's specifically listed as one of the supplements in the Harrison's handbook.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you only feed parsley daily, then yes, it's toxic. However, if you feed parsley as a small portion of all the other foods that you feed, then no, it's not toxic.

The biggest concern I think is the oxalates found in the plant, which are sometimes highest in rhubarb and spinach. There's also large quantities in parsley, kale, amaranth, chard, and even in things such as nuts and berries.

Here-in lies the rule that too much of a good thing can be bad. One parrotlet(?) owner supposedly fed her parrotlet kale every day of his life, and kale was his only vegetable. Unfortunately, kale killed him. Does that mean you shouldn't feed kale? Not at all! It simply means that you should feed foods in moderation. Ever heard the term, variety is the spice to life? Well, it certainly applies here! (with food, ofc!)

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Thank you all for the links and information! It is certainly very helpful. I planted my parsley seeds today along with red bell pepper and sweet basil. We are also going to go plant some other plants today (we bought a strawberry plant to add to ours already growing, some romaine lettuce, and tomatoes.) But those are mostly for us anyway lol. Except the strawberries and romaine, they can eat some of that with me.

When my parsley grows I think I'll just add it to some rice or quinoa now and then, or maybe make some more birdie bread since my first attempt was a huge hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.