• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlets vs Lovebirds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsAmandaYall

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Amanda
From what I've researched so far, they're similar in nippiness, cage aggression/territorial, cuddly, and turn wild if not handled frequently. The p'let seems to be more comical and feisty, and prone to feather plucking. Female lovies are moodier, aggressive/territorial and their chirp is more shrill. Are there other differences? Does one species chatter more than the other? Which is more playful? Which is more cuddly? Which bird do you prefer? Thank you.

Brooke

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brooke
I prefer the lovebirds, only because I think they are prettier. I know nothing of their demeanor or parrotlets demeanor, i'm just going off looks :p

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
I have both and I find the plets much more bitey/nippy than the lovebird. My plets are girls and my lovie is a boy, but the lovie is snuggly, sweet, cuddly and gentle, while the plets tend to be bitey and nippy, and very cage territorial. They also dont like strangers, while my lovie will go to anyone. As for noise, the lovie is noisier by far....the plets are almost silent. Both are very active, playful and entertaining.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
It depends on the birds own personality. Yoshi my parrotlet isn't cage aggressive and isn't a plucker. He is sweet, playful, full of personality, and adores me. He also eats very well and loves anything green. Now, he is very possessive of me and doesn't hold back if he thinks someone other than me is in his space. That can happen with any parrot though! Also, Yoshi gave my son a few chances to redeem himself. My son made some choices that were disrespectful to Yoshi therefore ruining the trust. My cousin had a lovebird and it was constantly chirping and screaming. Yoshi gets loud though too. If he hears water running or certain sounds around the house, he sounds the alarm! He is always playing, chewing, shredding, swinging, doing complete flips around his rope perch for me....really a joy. He trained me with his beak. He hasn't drawn blood but if he didn't like something or wanted more of something, his beak let me know. Once you learn your bird and their own specific likes and dislikes a lot of the biting/nibbling stops or is prevented.

Have you had the chance to meet parrotlets and lovebirds? Nice adult ones?

ItsAmandaYall

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Amanda
I've only saw lovebirds in a cage at a pet store, and that was years ago. I don't know of any reputable breeders around me in Houston. For p'lets their is one breeder about an hour away, but nothing available. The next closest breeder is 3 hours.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Wow, I didn't realize you were in Houston. Duh! So am I. Yoshi's breeder is here local.

She always has the babies out and about with her.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Sorry I didn't see your post. ;)

Yeah JB didn't have pet quality and I never contacted Almost Angel's. I found this very small scale breeder on Hoobly. I hate to ask here but hwat is your email address? I will send you an email.

Naiera

Real Name
Alyssa
I have four lovebirds and cared for three parrotlets temporarily for a few weeks not too long ago. My lovebirds are loud and chatter often and the propellers swarmed to do the same, just in a higher pitched, more squeaky manner. Their activity levels and playfulness seemed similar. The parrotlets were not used to being handled at alland so were pretty skittish, but I think that was more situational than any thing else. The personalities of the parrotlets seemed to be very individual, as it seems to be in my lovebirds too. The most outgoing of the parrotlets was quickly learning to interact with people. The two of my lovebirds who were initially people shy also learned quickly. I did find the parrotlets were agood deal smaller, could mimic much better, and i thought their sexual dimorphism was pretty neat. For whatever reason, the parrotlets seemed more interested in trying new foods than my lovies, maybe just an individual thing but it was nice! Generally pretty similar though.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I have no parrotlet experience, they've always seemed pretty similar to me though. I've even heard both called "mini-amazons" for their temperament (which is only true for parrotlets, lovebirds are from a different continent.)

I hear male(?) parrotlets are more likely to talk, neither gender of lovebirds are really known for talking. Could be wrong on the parrotlets; again, no experience.
I would describe Peanut as both comical and feisty too, I don't know that a parrotlet would be more so. :D

One thing I do want to add is that thing about them going wild quickly is a myth, or at least widely misinterpreted. I'm sure they do become less tame if they go extremely long periods without being handled but I've not experienced any of that with Peanut. I've gone out of state for two weeks and occasionally take 1 week trips (not often these days.) Once several years ago she was so hormonal and grumpy she didn't want to leave her cage for about a month. Once I get back or she settled down there is little indication she is less tame. Sometimes she will bite first thing when I ask her to step up (like "how dare you leave for that long!") but then once she has made her opinion clear she settles down. Then is generally very happy to see me.

I wouldn't get either bird (at least singly) if you don't intend to interact with them most every day anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue.

If I had to choose, and assuming the impression I have about both species is correct, I would choose lovebirds just on the basis of them being slightly larger (and, to be completely shallow, slightly more cute IMO.)
Size makes any veterinary care they may need a tiny bit easier; there isn't a lot of room for error in any of the little species but being 15 to 30 grams heavier is just going to make things like anesthesia or being medicated a little bit simpler in the hands of a skilled avian vet.
That said, even a large lovebird hen at 65 grams will never be a good candidate for surgery and anesthesia is risky for most birds. I don't know how much greater the risk really is in a 35 gram bird versus a 50 gram bird. Just the smaller the animal is, the harder and less safe it is (in my understanding.)

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I have two lovies and I adore them :heart:

But just to give you an idea of their shrill call....

You know the feeling when you first leave a concert or a really loud party? The deaf feeling you can't get to stop for a good hour or so?

Yeah, when Bubbles is on my shoulder and does his little call :omg: its murder. It makes you deaf in that ear for a second.

My lovies also chatter a lot but its not really terrible in my opinion. I kinda like their chatter, I think it sounds cute. I only have a problem with them when they're on my shoulder.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Never had a lovebird but have had two parrotlets, both females.....both adorable. they were/are both very sweet, a little nippy but not bad...Maya is a very sweet bird who loves to be on me all the time... if I went a day here and there without letting her out, she is just as sweet......she had Tina of personallity

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.