• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet or green cheek?

Kelli

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli
I am seriously considering adding a parrotlet to my flock. I was wondering how they compared to green cheek conures as far as noise level and personality? I am familiar with green cheek conures and haven't decided for sure whether to get another one or a parrotlet. Parrotlets are so darn cute, but I want to make sure I make a decision on more than just appearance as I haven't had any experience with them. Thanks!

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
I have never had a green cheek to compare to, but my little p'let girl is absolutely precious! She does have some attitude, but is very cuddly when she is in the mood to be, which happens every day. She does explore and fly around some but primarily likes to be on me when she is out.

I would say the noise is moderate. She has a chirping session a few times a day but it doesn't last long. The volume, while not extreme, seems to me to be high for such a small bird. When I am downstairs I can clearly hear her upstairs chirping. It is not at all bothersome to me though. It is a pretty adorable chirp. :)

If you haven't yet, you can check out this thread: http://forums.avianavenue.com/parrotlets-place/106531-parrotlets-good-bad-ugly.html

Kelli

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli
thanks! the green cheek noise doesn't bother me at all - I had just heard that parrotlets were quiet and I know any bird can be an exception but was wondering how true this was. I've read that thread and learned a lot from it!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Omg I absolutely love my parrotlet.Maya. She is such a sweet girl with that little edge once in a while. Definitely very head strong! She is an excellent flyer but prefers to be on me when out. If I get up she flies over to me immediately. I would say she is not loud at all. Yes she loves to chirp but it is so quiet and cute....music to my ears compared to my canary wing, too, eclectus and Amazon.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
My guy Rocco is feisty, territorial, very active, loud and fun! He is a lot of fun - full of personality. He is very cage aggressive, but okay once away from his cage. He is quite loud - but only in bursts. He can really yell! But it's usually while he's attacking a toy or mad about something, otherwise he just chatters away and whistles.

He is very attached to me and won't play while out of his cage, he only wants to be on my shoulder.

He is definitely not an "easy" bird, but he's awesome. :heart:

Trinity23

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather
I agree with what everyone else is saying. P'lets are basically shrunken down amazons. As for noise levels...I live in an apartment and my neighbours never knew I had a parrot until they saw him with me. So that gives you an idea of how "noisy" he can be. In my experience my little guy is a mischief making troublemaker. Very curious. Very adventurous. No fear. And, while he's a very smart bird, the fearlessness makes him stupid. He's very affectionate. Every morning he needs his snuggles with mom. My guy has such an attitude that he takes on my parent's 'tiels who are 3x his size. If one of them is on my shoulder and he wants on he kicks them off. So I'm sure a plet would fit in well with your gccs. I love my Pickles and I wouldn't trade him for anything. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would say almost at lovebird noise level for my two p'lets. Not very loud at all. But they do have moments of being noisy. Like when I give them their daily veggies or seeds (they eat pellets and are given seeds as an evening snack) and they get noisy! Excited to eat!:)