• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet life expectency

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I have read that a lot of parrotlets die before the age of 3 due to accidents. I'm wondering how old your parrotlet is. Or if you have had a parrotlet who has died, how did they die and how old were they when they died?

I have had 2 parrotlets die before the age of 3. Maddie died from egg laying complications and Harper died in an accident.

Kendalyn and Kin are 2 years old now and I want them to live a full life.

Also, I'm curious for those who have older p'lets, how much are they in their cage each day. My guys are out all day long which I know might be more dangerous for them.

Nevermores Mum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kacie
Jaxson is 8yrs old and out from 8am-8pm EVERYDAY. My best advice? Teach them to stay OFF the floor and cluttered surfaces like desks and countertops. Many p'lets are crushed to death. Either stepped on, sat on, or something is tossed on top of them. I heard of one gal who accidently killed hers when she tossed her heavy text book onto her desk not knowing he was there. Jaxsons brother was killed at their former home when he was shut in the sliding glass door. P'let proof your home. Toilet lids down, check before you sit etc... Also, hanging swings and play structures throughout the house help greatly because it keeps them up high. I have heard they can live up to 30 years. Most do not and its purely due to high incidence of accidental death.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a male parrotlet die when he was somewhere between 12 and 15. I had to remove his band because of leg irritation and I could barely make out the date on it. He was not especially well cared for before me, but I had him for about 8 or 9 years. I had a blue male die of cancer when he was about 6 or 7. The mates of both birds are still alive. One female I got as a 6 month old hand-fed and she is now about 12 years old and just starting to get that older bird look to her. Some changes are her beak is just a little longer and flakier, she is getting yellow feathers on her neck almost like a yellow naped amazon and the blue on her rump which was very dilute when she was young is almost as dark as a males now(she is a lucida) and has mothered lots of babies so I know she's a she. My other retired breeder female is about 9 and not really looking her age yet. I also have a younger pet and unproductive pair that are about 5. From what I can tell, females start losing fertility at about 5-7 years old. While the species might have a potential life expectancy in their 20s, a lot of birds that are well cared for start showing some age by their early 'teens. Based on talking to a few pet owners here and there, a lot of parrotlets die from age related issues around 12-15 years old or so.

Almost universally it has been breeders I've talked to that have older birds. These guys are so accident prone, when allowed the maximal freedom people seem to feel they should give their pets, it tends to result in tragic accidents. Basically as far as I can tell, guilt over caging pets and wanting them to be happy ends up killing them because people can't watch all the time and eventually become distracted or lax. I give mine reasonably large cages and then the pet bird is only allowed out when she's physically on me or when I'm in the room actively watching her on top of her cage. I have a cat that while good with the big birds, just can't resist the parrotlet. And for whatever reason, when this species decides to fly, where ever the worst place they could possibly land could be, that is where they land. Behind the refrigerator, on top of the knife I used to cut my salad, in the glass of water, on top of the dog, on the macaw cage. Really, of all the possible places a bird could touch down at, a parrotlet will pick the worst possible spot more often than not. Which means when I'm not looking and actively paying attention, there is about a 100% chance a parrotlet will get itself into a deadly situation. Every time I have one fly, my eyes immediately scan the room and look for the worst place they could land and normally I get their right before the bird touches down and so far have not had any deaths. Although, a couple injured toes from the quakers.

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Yoshi's breeder has a male parrotlet that just turned 24 years old!

The only thing she told me to NEVER do was feed pellets. And to be honest, I don't think she feeds a ton of veggies and she does NOT feed fruits. She says they cause issues with yeast. And she always adds ACV to their water.

It gives me hope for Yoshi that he will live that long. All I can do is try....:o:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I am thinking about trying to sell my cages in MN (with help from my mom) and the cage I just bought and get a double flight. I feel like they are becoming more curious and I don't want them getting into any trouble.

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
I think I would be sick with worry if I had a bird that small and delicate! I've come close to stepping on my tiel Freya before as she has no concept of caution. But I always watch where I'm walking, sitting, or placing things in the bird room. Thank god the littles have a designated room which really minimizes the risks since they can't get into much.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
My Male Pacific will be 14 yrs old next month. I am going to say improper diets, household accidents due to size with other pets and such are what cause them to perish long before their time. Mine gets his out of cage time with me, alone no other pets around. He is flighted and always has been. I also feed mine organic cooked foods mixed with fresh and the only pellets he gets now are Tops crumplets. I also feed egg food in with his cooked base. His feathers are great, he has never plucked but he has had issues with overgrowth on his beak for a few years now. The Vet has ruled out anything with liver running two blood panels all is a go there. We dremel his beak every few months to keep it in check. My Avian Vet also has said that he believes that the life expectancy for a P'let is around 15.

Nevermores Mum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kacie
So just a week or so after I posted on this thread about P'let safety, my son left the back door cracked open so slightly that I didnt notice and Jaxson is gone... You guys, I am so sad. I havent been on here since it happened. We are crushed.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So just a week or so after I posted on this thread about P'let safety, my son left the back door cracked open so slightly that I didnt notice and Jaxson is gone... You guys, I am so sad. I havent been on here since it happened. We are crushed.
I'm sorry for your loss :(

Quest

Real Name
Judy
Oh, Kacie I am so sorry.

liss1208

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa
Curious why your breeder said no pellets?? My vet said no seed because it's like junk food and to switch to pellets + fresh veggies and fruit.

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Curious why your breeder said no pellets?? My vet said no seed because it's like junk food and to switch to pellets + fresh veggies and fruit.
I have been told by a long time lovebird breeder that the SMALL birds who eat too many pellets develop liver (or was it kidney) problems. Pellets should be less than 40 % (or was it (20%) of their diet. I'm having a senior moment. I'll check my facts and get back to you. :o:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thats right. Small birds including parrotlets, cockatiels and budgies should not eat a lot of pellets. I talked to Sandee Molenda several years ago and she was absolutely convinced pellets were causing kidney disease in her mutation parrotlets. At the time, I don't believe she was feeding any pellets. Personally, I'd be doing more sprouts including sprouted legumes and cooked grains like quinoa to meet the protein needs that seed is notoriously for being deficient. Also, good quality veggies several days a week including orange or dark green veggies that the bird actually eats should take care of things, if given a seed base. Thats how I feed my parrotlets anyway. And I try to stay away from fortified seed mixes. Hard to find without special ordering. I give a cuddle bone and otherwise extremely light to no supplements unless its a laying hen. The thinking as of last time I looked it up was that larger species if fed pellets will just drink more to accommodate the drier diet. Smaller species won't or can't drink enough to make up for the dry pellets and their kidneys go.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
There is a recent thread about pellets vs seeds. I think everyone should read it.:)

liss1208

Moving in
Real Name
Melissa
Great, thank you for the info! This definitely helps.