• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrotlet information?

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
Hello!

I'm still learning more about my budgies and how to get them used to me so that I can handle them better, but, in time, I believe I'd be able to take in another bird. (I do lots of research on birds to make sure mine get the best possible care. I love spoiling my birds.) I would really love to get a parrotlet, so I'd like to hear what owners or really anybody who knows lots about them would like to say. What are their favorite foods? Should they have a companion? (When I first wanted a budgie, I immediately wanted another so that the first wouldn't be alone.) How big should a cage be for one or two? What are their needs in general?

Anybody willing to give me advice, thank you!
I don't think I'd get one anytime soon. I want to work with my budgies first, but, again, in time.
Thanks!
:budgie::budgie9:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Donna Anastasi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Donna Anastasi
I love parakeets! I had a pet duck when I was four, a parakeet when I was 14 and now I have a parrotlet named Sven. You can see him on youtube if you'd like. He is just turning five months old and already talking. He is intelligent and curious. He loves to fly, especially to land on my head and chest. His wings were clipped as a baby, but grew out in a couple weeks and I won't clip them again. He is very bossy and demanding. He also loves to sit on my chest and cuddle and be petted. He is out of the cage for several hours everyday. I work from home so he plays in the office while I work. At night he likes to sit on my shoulder in my hair while I watch TV. He was nippy as a baby and we worked through that. Now he is molting and hormonal so some days he is his normal charming self and some days he's nippy so we are figuring out that again. He can get territorial over things like inside and the top of his cage. He hates being made to do anything. He does respond well to words and parrotlet sounds. I know how to say ouch and back off in parrotlet. My understanding is that the males need to be housed alone. They can get aggressive and even kill another parrotlet, even their mate. They are fearless and can attack other pets. He is bossy with my degus and chinchilla, but wary of my rat and dog. Sven is very bonded to me. And I love him to pieces, but he takes as much work as a dog or a cat, or more. The most important thing with a parrotlet in my opinion is to try to think like a parrotlet and communicate in a way he understands and to be very gentle, patient, and understanding. Hope that helps, Donna

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
I love parakeets! I had a pet duck when I was four, a parakeet when I was 14 and now I have a parrotlet named Sven. You can see him on youtube if you'd like. He is just turning five months old and already talking. He is intelligent and curious. He loves to fly, especially to land on my head and chest. His wings were clipped as a baby, but grew out in a couple weeks and I won't clip them again. He is very bossy and demanding. He also loves to sit on my chest and cuddle and be petted. He is out of the cage for several hours everyday. I work from home so he plays in the office while I work. At night he likes to sit on my shoulder in my hair while I watch TV. He was nippy as a baby and we worked through that. Now he is molting and hormonal so some days he is his normal charming self and some days he's nippy so we are figuring out that again. He can get territorial over things like inside and the top of his cage. He hates being made to do anything. He does respond well to words and parrotlet sounds. I know how to say ouch and back off in parrotlet. My understanding is that the males need to be housed alone. They can get aggressive and even kill another parrotlet, even their mate. They are fearless and can attack other pets. He is bossy with my degus and chinchilla, but wary of my rat and dog. Sven is very bonded to me. And I love him to pieces, but he takes as much work as a dog or a cat, or more. The most important thing with a parrotlet in my opinion is to try to think like a parrotlet and communicate in a way he understands and to be very gentle, patient, and understanding. Hope that helps, Donna
Thank you so much! Sven sounds so adorable. :heart2: I think I'll bring home a parrotlet of my own soon enough! If I can clear some space in my room, which I already have an idea where, then I'll probably go to get one. I'll post if I do! Again, thanks! :budgie::budgie9:

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Another interesting thing about parrotlets is that they are huge eaters. They seem to eat more than other birds their size. I have a friend with a couple of baby boys she got from me about 1.5 years ago and she is astounded how they eat more than their lovebirds.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Parrotlets are fantastic, but please be careful as they are VERY territorial little birds! I wouldn't keep one (or two) in anything smaller then a flight cage because they are very, very active. Like other companion parrots they are smart and males can learn to say a few words and whistle. Shredding toys and balsa work great for them.

Something to consider is the fact that veterinary care for them can be VERY tricky because of their small size. Diagnostics are more difficult and anything requiring anesthesia is very risky because intubation is very tricky in something that small. Bloodwork can be challenging to get and often you only can get enough for a CBC or chemistry at one time and have to do the other in a few days to a week after the first blood draw. Of course this can be true for budgies too but it is definitely something to think about.

I think they're great little birds and I would get another in a heartbeat.

Budgie Babies

Meeting neighbors
Parrotlets are fantastic, but please be careful as they are VERY territorial little birds! I wouldn't keep one (or two) in anything smaller then a flight cage because they are very, very active. Like other companion parrots they are smart and males can learn to say a few words and whistle. Shredding toys and balsa work great for them.

Something to consider is the fact that veterinary care for them can be VERY tricky because of their small size. Diagnostics are more difficult and anything requiring anesthesia is very risky because intubation is very tricky in something that small. Bloodwork can be challenging to get and often you only can get enough for a CBC or chemistry at one time and have to do the other in a few days to a week after the first blood draw. Of course this can be true for budgies too but it is definitely something to think about.

I think they're great little birds and I would get another in a heartbeat.
Thank you, thank you! I've been doing lots of research on them to make sure I can know as much as possible!