• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot

kaoutar

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
kaouhar
Hello avian avenue, thank you for this amazing website. i want to ask you about my parrot, i have a ara macao green feathered i had him when he was 5 months now he is 8 years. here in morocco we dont have avian vets so he never went to a vet. when i had him i didnt know what should i fed him. so he is used to eat bread he dont like fruits and veggies. he dont pluck his feathers he talk he dance i dont know how to take him to a vet here in morocco we dont have one.

Last edited by a moderator:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Do you bake. Many of us bake a special bird bread. I use corn flour (or oat, quinoa, or spelt, or a combination) some crushed up bird pellets, eggs and a variety of finely chopped or pureed vegetables, and carrot juice. I also add some ground flax seed and ground chia seed. Sometimes I add cinnamon and nutmeg. Other times red pepper flakes and paprika. I can't really give a recipe because I put some flour in the mixing bowl add 2 or 3 eggs, the vegetables seeds and spices tgen add carrot juice until i get the consistancy I want.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Spices I use in birdie bread are a small amount of ginger and cinnamon. What do people do if a companion bird is injured and need a vet?

Have you checked with these vets via a phone call to see if any of them will treat a bird? Sometimes a regular vet will treat an injured or sick bird.

Best 25 Veterinarians in Morocco, Indiana with Reviews - YP.com

Last edited:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
yes, you should try to find a vet so you know one for emergencies at least.

You didn't give much detail on his diet except for bread but to have lived 8 years there must be something else.
I have no idea what's available in Morocco, but I'd guess you'd have these.
To prevent vitamin A deficiencies you can feed Red Palm Oil on bread. Most fresh palm nuts would probably be accepted too.
You could also put almond butter on the bread.
Almonds are good for calcium and protein.
Walnuts are good for beneficial omega - 3 fatty acids.
Scrambled eggs can give protein, but my vet says they do not encourage any animal protein these days.
Cooked or fresh beans would also have protein.

You need to experiment with ways to offer veggies. Parrots often hate them until you figure out what interests them.
try offering raw vs fresh. cut in circles vs sticks vs cubes. pieces of corn on the cob. Whole snap peas instead of shelled.
Put some on a skewer so it is more like a toy to rip up.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Also breakfast cereals without sugar and salt would be something to give him. Sorry I posted Morocco Indiana. Silly me!