• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot is over-preening and not eating

Uglow

Moving in
Real Name
Uglow
I recently went through a divorce because my ex was harming me. The bird was harmed in the process, unfortunately. I was forced to sell my house and move to the city into a noisy apartment. There have been a lot of changes for my little Ecclectus, Uglow, who I have had since 2015. My ex-husband worked from home and Uglow was never alone. Now I have to go into an office a few times a week and leave him in the apartment by himself. I hired a sitter, but they can only come on certain days.

When my husband first left the house because of a restraining order I obtained, Uglow stopped barbing, ate more, and his health improved. He seemed really happy. But once I started going into an office, he began barbing (over-preening). He won't eat during the week, bites, demands snacks and screams a lot. He seems sad and I don't know what to do. The vet started him on Gabapentin (spelling?) today and I hope it helps. But I don't want to rely on medication to keep him happy, if it even works at all. Any suggestions from those with experience with sad birds? He's breaking my heart.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can try playing music or letting the TV on. Bird Sitter DVD is one made just for parrots. Saw a new unopened DVD on E-bay for $13.73/free shipping.

DVD info:
Now pet birds left alone at home can watch fellow birds frolic to pass the time. The program is designed to give birds a feeling of their natural habitat, with sounds and sights of the parrot's outdoor surroundings filling the screen in one continuous loop featuring several soundtrack options.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Sorry for everything you have had to go through. That much changes and stress has to be hard on all.

Have your routine, talk to him and have a phrase for it's a work day..like just saying it's a work day be back tonight, whatever phrase you use have it always be the same. Have a different phrase for running out for errands back soon.

When I had my first green cheek conure, she was very sensitive and stressed by work days. I bought a small aquarium with guppies to put by her cage . Lol this is not something you have to do , I'm just sharing what I did ..I also put the TV on toddler cartoons, as big kid cartoon are to violent to much chaos . Then I told her was a work day I'd see her tonight. Pretty soon she was used to the routine and much less stressed. Btw we both loved watching the guppies and zoning out.

Getting your birds foraging can also help

Uglow

Moving in
Real Name
Uglow
You can try playing music or letting the TV on. Bird Sitter DVD is one made just for parrots. Saw a new unopened DVD on E-bay for $13.73/free shipping.

DVD info:
Now pet birds left alone at home can watch fellow birds frolic to pass the time. The program is designed to give birds a feeling of their natural habitat, with sounds and sights of the parrot's outdoor surroundings filling the screen in one continuous loop featuring several soundtrack options.
Thank you! I have a radio timer on to play a couple of times a day while I'm out, especially on days when the sitter can't come. I'm going to look into the bird DVD. Appreciate this!

Uglow

Moving in
Real Name
Uglow
Sorry for everything you have had to go through. That much changes and stress has to be hard on all.

Have your routine, talk to him and have a phrase for it's a work day..like just saying it's a work day be back tonight, whatever phrase you use have it always be the same. Have a different phrase for running out for errands back soon.

When I had my first green cheek conure, she was very sensitive and stressed by work days. I bought a small aquarium with guppies to put by her cage . Lol this is not something you have to do , I'm just sharing what I did ..I also put the TV on toddler cartoons, as big kid cartoon are to violent to much chaos . Then I told her was a work day I'd see her tonight. Pretty soon she was used to the routine and much less stressed. Btw we both loved watching the guppies and zoning out.

Getting your birds foraging can also help
We miss our house! The apartment is too small for a fish tank of any size, but maybe when we move again. That is a really great idea - I appreciate it, thank you. I do the phrase thing so he knows when I'll be gone for work. I also say he'll have a friend today every time the sitter is supposed to come. He seems happier those days and screams less when I leave, so I think he knows what it means. I have to get a TV - I didn't bring mine with. When I do, I'll start setting a timer for that to play rainforest sounds and little kid cartoons. Love these ideas, so thankful!

Uglow

Moving in
Real Name
Uglow
Uglow was put on a low dose of Gabapentin on Saturday and he's already been eating more and preening less. He even started singing again. I hope it keeps helping!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Uglow was put on a low dose of Gabapentin on Saturday and he's already been eating more and preening less. He even started singing again. I hope it keeps helping!
That's wonderful news! I'm so sorry to hear what you've both been going through. I really hope the Gaba will continue to help him. It's a wonderful drug to help with animal anxieties.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a lot of changes for both of you!

I have a really old laptop that is only good for browsing the internet, and I play ParrotTown TV on YouTube while I'm gone.

I also have always told my pets what I'm doing when I leave and how long I'll be gone, out of habit. I'll say "I'm going to work now; have a good day" versus "I'm going to the store; I'll be right back". My ringneck and dog seem indifferent to which is which, but my Quaker has definitely picked up on the difference and shows different behaviors for each, so I'm not surprised your guy is happier on sitter days :)

I'm so glad the gabapentin is working already; that's a promising tool for you!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am proud of you for making the tough choices and deciding to improve your wellbeing. It is of course stressful and of course not every day is easy, but you did it. Leaving abuse is not easy. I am sure as life starts feeling safe again and you find your stride things will also improve for Uglow. This is of course also a big adjustment for him. I have no new advice to add to the chat. I just want you to know how proud I am for your new life direction. I too survived abuse, I know how scary and difficult it is to break away and start your own life.

Sending warm and peaceful vibes your and Uglow's way.

Uglow

Moving in
Real Name
Uglow
I am proud of you for making the tough choices and deciding to improve your wellbeing. It is of course stressful and of course not every day is easy, but you did it. Leaving abuse is not easy. I am sure as life starts feeling safe again and you find your stride things will also improve for Uglow. This is of course also a big adjustment for him. I have no new advice to add to the chat. I just want you to know how proud I am for your new life direction. I too survived abuse, I know how scary and difficult it is to break away and start your own life.

Sending warm and peaceful vibes your and Uglow's way.
Thank you so much for the kind words. It is a real struggle, and the system sets us up to fail - but we can get out! I'm just hoping my little Uglow can remain as resilient as he's been. He's my little treasure, and the best part of my former marriage.