• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot food

MickeyD

Meeting neighbors
I'm interested in knowing what recipes people use for birdie bread and a chop. Nothing to elaborate. Is the chop all you feed them or do you substitute pellets and seed. I have been giving our Rusty fruits and veggies with pellets and a little seed on the side, but he tends to throw the f & v out. Maybe I should make a chop and put seeds and pellets right in the chop.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use Harrison's Bird Bread for the bird bread. Here's how I make it: Making Harrison’s Bird Bread Perfect | Parrot 1-2-3 I actually a not a huge fan of most bird breads, but feel better about Harrison's as it is a base of pellets vs. flours that offer little in the way of nutrients.

And as for chop, I keep it simple: My Chop “Recipe” | Parrot 1-2-3

I keep pellets as at least a 50% base, seeds 5%, and then bird bread and chop to make up the middle, with an emphasis on veggies over fruits.

The problem with just chop is that it doesn't provide trace nutrients very easily (iodine, for example) or vitamin D3 (which is what birds need unless they are getting access to unfiltered sunlight routinely to produce their own). They also can pick and choose what they want to eat, so if they only eat the fruit, for example, they could be deficient in other things. So, a base of pellets helps to alleviate those potential issues.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I mixe pellets or seeds in the chop sometimes to make my cockatiel eat it. I do not use a recipe for chop, basically use everything fresh I have available.

MickeyD

Meeting neighbors
Thank you. I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome