• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Parrot diet

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
So parrot diets have been on my mind for a while now, well, ever since I got birds. Though recently a little more since switching my birds to pellets. My fids diet is mainly chop. I put tons of stuff in each batch, and now have started them on Zupreen pellets as well, to ensure a balanced diet.
Today I was reading about nutri-berries, and reading the ingredients, which one was corn syrup. WHAT? This is the stuff that has been found so bad for humans, causing multiple health problems, and they put it in this very expensive, and supposed to be good for birds food? Millet was also on the list of ingredients which is like birdie French fries. Not great for health, but a very compelling treat....
The good news is, I've convinced my roommate to cut back from feeding his birds a diet of peanuts and sunflower seeds to pellets. His birds actually prefer the pellets now!!! We knew these feathered angels were smart. They even know what food is better for them.
I applaud anyone who feeds their birds healthy diets, who takes time to cook for them, and care enough to provide fresh fruits and veggies for them.
Sorry, needed to vent....thanks for indulging me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yes, millet gets a very unwarranted bad rap, but it definitely can be part of a healthy diet. I also use nutribberries as a treat, and I like Roudybush because it doesn’t have sugar as an ingredient.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

Known Space

Meeting neighbors
Corn syrup isn't the same as high-fructose corn syrup. But the difference doesn't matter a whole and it's not much to worry about. Neither substance is essentially "bad": they're just sugar. And sugar is far from evil. And in theory harmless. In practice, though, we tend to get into a habit of overindulging in it And because these added sugars are low on micronutrients, they're empty calories which take up space in our diets that should be reserved for more nutritionally dense foods. And that's where the problem lies.

So the key thing to keep in mind here is how these tend to be applied practically, and not how bad or good they are in theory.

The thing that, at the end of the day, matters most about our birds' formulated diets, nutritionally speaking, are their profiles. And since Nutri Berries are heavily fortified with minerals and vitamins as well as other sources of nutritious foods, that addition of a sweetener shouldn't matter much. Formulas are controlled environments, as opposed to highly productive market economies with sugary sodas and highly-processed fastfoods on every corner, that we can indulge on on a whim. If all the essential nutrients, micronutrients, minerals, vitamins and fiber are in place, then the sugar won't detract from those. Think of how fruit has sugar naturally occurring in it too!

Last edited: