• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Parakeets Won't Stop Sneezing (After Multiple Vet Visits) - Advice?

Azellia

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Hi, everyone.

My parakeets have been having sneezing issues for the past month. Some days, they sneeze multiple times an hour; other days, they sneeze very little. Most of the sneezes are dry, but I have seen a few wet ones.

Apart from the sneezing, they're acting completely normal, although I do think their poops look a bit odd. One bird's poop clumps together; another's is "damp"; still formed, through. Chalky feces, normal urates, and green-tinged urine (no uric acid crystals as far as I can tell). The poop changes only started recently, though, so they could just be in response to the antibiotics they've been on.

I've cleaned the room my birds in, deeply. Cleaned and sanitized their cage, cleaned and sanitized their toys, cleaned, sanitized, and baked all their perches. Vacuumed and dusted. I've been running an air purifier and humidifier. Humidity is fine, ranges from mid 40s to 50. If it's an environmental issue, the only thing I can think of is that it could be the carpet in the room they're in?

I've also taken them to three different exotic vets (w/ bird experience) in my area. Nearest avian vet is a plane ride away, so not very feasible for me. Spent close to $2,000 on tests and treatments so far.

They initially had a "mild" bacterial infection, which was resolved with antibiotics (Clavamox). One vet also tested them for chlamydophilosis; they don't have it. Still, they wanted to put them on a course of Doxycycline to see if that would help-it hasn't. They continue to sneeze. I've asked the vets what else it could be, asked for additional tests, but they haven't been very helpful.

I know that this forum can't diagnose my pets. But does anyone have some suggestions as to what this could be, so I can mention it to the vets? I've already brought up the potential for deficiencies (A or iodine), air sac mites, etc. to them but they seem unconcerned about these issues. Or is there anything I can try at home to help reduce my birds' sneezing? I feel bad that they've been sick so long & just want to help. :unsure1: Thank you for any advice!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Aww that's a lot to spend ! And you've made so much effort to get to the cause. I hate when health issues can't be figured out. So frustrating.

More information on course if doxy? If this has been going on a month and the standard treatment is 45 days of doxy?

If it's fungal antibiotics won't help and would need antifungal instead.

Mites are a thought as well. Tho often cause voice change and noise when breathing or exertion

Azellia

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Hi, sorry for the delayed response.

They've only been on the Doxycycline for a week. No improvements in health so far.

They seem to be getting a bit worse, honestly. They're napping a lot more often throughout the day. They're molting, and it's been rainy over here for a while, so that could maybe be influencing that, but this behavior still makes me nervous. They're eating and drinking, and chirping/playing when not sleeping, which is good though I guess?

I had to take one to emergency yesterday because he was throwing up seed, but the vet thought he just overstuffed himself. She gave him anti-nausea meds and an anti-fungal (Fluconazole... but isn't this toxic to parakeets? I haven't administered it yet because I'm worried about that) "just in case", since his swab showed a very, very small amount of yeast. He hasn't thrown up again since, but...

I'm at a total loss at this point. I've visited multiple vets, multiple times, but they only do the most basic of tests (physical, gram stain, choanal swab), even when I insist we try other types. And nothing they've prescribed has helped. There's one other exotics vet near me I can try, but I'm not super hopeful. :(

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm so sorry. This is frustrating. I hope you are able to find a veterinarian that can help you . There are so many things that can be wrong
Another disease to think about is

Azellia

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
Hi! Just thought I'd drop in with a (happy) update! :)

After nearly 2 months & $3,000 spent, we've found the cause of the sneezing! It was yeast; Candidiasis.

They've had yeast for a while, apparently, but the vet thought it wasn't worth mentioning initially because it was such a small amount. When I took them a week and a half ago, the vet mention their yeast levels were "slightly" abnormal but not to the point they thought it was an issue. This Tuesday, I took them back, and the birds' gram stains revealed something new... a significant amount of yeast in their systems. The vet put them on a 2-week course of an antifungal. They've had two doses so far, and the sneezing has already stopped.

If I had to guess, the yeast was able to grow because of how long they've been on antibiotics for bacterial issues. They were on Clavamox for two weeks, then had to go another week due to dysbiosis. Then, another vet put them on Doxycycline just in case they had Chlamydiosis. That probably wrecked their microbiome pretty badly.

They're getting better now, though, and that's all I can really ask for. Now my only concern is if their livers/kidneys are okay, since they've been on harsh meds for so long. Would it be a bad idea to give them Milk Thistle as a support?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Yay! Hope for full recovery!

I can't speak for the other antibiotics, but doxy is rarely ever associated with yeast overgrowth. While antibiotics like baytril almost always cause secondary yeast or fungal overgrowth.

Keep us updated! I want hear all about happy healthy birds! With pic!