• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Parakeet throwing up

Light enix

Moving in
Real Name
Alicia Elmer
My 7-9 month old male parakeet, Mizu, started being quiet and settle, but still played a little and ate. Don't know if he's been drinking water. Haven't been seeing him drink any water. He started throwing up hours later. It looked like when they regurgitate coming out. Full seeds came out too. When he first started, he would throw up then eat. Then, he threw up again. I took his seed out for his stomachs to calm since that was agitating it. He calmed down last night and had sleep, but was very agitated. This morning around 3 AM he started throwing up again. He tried eating again after, but I removed the food because that caused him to throw up some more. I don't know what to do and I have no money to take him to the vet. He has been my support animal since I deal with anxiety and depression. Not registered yet though. WHAT DO I DO? I'M SCARED!

Last edited:

Light enix

Moving in
Real Name
Alicia Elmer
My 7-9 month old male parakeet, Mizu, started being quiet and settle, but still played a little and ate. Don't know if he's been drinking water. Haven't been seeing him drink any water. He started throwing up hours later. It looked like when they regurgitate coming out. Full seeds came out too. When he first started, he would throw up then eat. Then, he threw up again. I took his seed out for his stomachs to calm since that was agitating it. He calmed down last night and had sleep, but was very agitated. This morning around 3 AM he started throwing up again. He tried eating again after, but I removed the food because that caused him to throw up some more. I don't know what to do and I have no money to take him to the vet. He has been my support animal since I deal with anxiety and depression. Not registered yet though. WHAT DO I DO? I'M SCARED!
He was picking at the green small perch, and it seems he would get something off of it. I also just found a tiny piece of a chicken bone eaten in his dish for his greens that he must've found. I'm just finding it

Attachments

Light enix

Moving in
Real Name
Alicia Elmer
He's feeling much better now, but he's still not as active as usual. Kind of expected after being like that for so long. I haven't been able to take him to the vet. He does clean himself a whole lot more than usual right now, like he's itching.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Bump

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Is he making a mess on himself? One way to help determine if it is regurgitation (social interaction) vs vomitting (illness) is how controlled it is happening.

If he is making a mess on himself, his beak or generally getting it around the enclosure, I would consult an creditable avian vet. Asap.

If he is regurgitating and reswallowing I would consider it may be behavioural. This should still be addressed by providing added enrichments, foraging opportunities and providing more fresh veggies.

I would not withhold food nor water at any point. Birds, especially small species of herbivores, can starve much more quickly than you may think. Budgies maintain a higher body temperature than we do and have a much quicker metabolism.

Light enix

Moving in
Real Name
Alicia Elmer
He's feeling much better now, but he's still not as active as usual. Kind of expected after being like that for so long. I haven't been able to take him to the vet. He does clean himself a whole lot more than usual right now, like he's itching.
Apple cider vinegar is a great remedy for everyone and just about everything.
Was told by a vet, this is even for all together health for parakeets, the measurements differ the type and size of animal.
♡ADD 1.2ml of apple cider vinegar, approximately 1/4tsp, to every half cup of water.
- Also helps with overall daily health

Light enix

Moving in
Real Name
Alicia Elmer
Is he making a mess on himself? One way to help determine if it is regurgitation (social interaction) vs vomitting (illness) is how controlled it is happening.

If he is making a mess on himself, his beak or generally getting it around the enclosure, I would consult an creditable avian vet. Asap.

If he is regurgitating and reswallowing I would consider it may be behavioural. This should still be addressed by providing added enrichments, foraging opportunities and providing more fresh veggies.

I would not withhold food nor water at any point. Birds, especially small species of herbivores, can starve much more quickly than you may think. Budgies maintain a higher body temperature than we do and have a much quicker metabolism.
He's pooping fine. I'm not withholding anything anymore from him since it helps him. Found a remedy that is all natural. The CURE ALL I now call it. Add apple cider vinegar to his water. ♡Thank you for your help.♡