• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Parakeet laying egg

bb'sbirds

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey, I have a female pet parakeet (4 years old) and she's obviously laid quite a bit of eggs in her past, and I've made sure she gets enough calcium and vitamins and that her diet is stable so that she has no problems. But today while my brother just had the bird on his arm I noticed she was trying to poop. I then realized that nothing was coming out, so I look and I see that there's an egg stuck in her behind. I am fully aware of what egg binding is, and I understand how urgent and fatal it is, so I was panicked. But I realize that she has none of the typical egg binding symptoms, such as staying in a depressed manner on the bottom of the cage, fluffing up her feathers, a lack of appetite, or blood on her eggs. She's fine now and poops normally, but I'm still worried about her. What should I do?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello,

I am very sorry I have only just seen this thread. Has she laid the egg now?

Increasing humidity can help hens pass eggs.

Hopefully the egg is out now, if not head to the vet for emergency extraction.

bb'sbirds

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,

I am very sorry I have only just seen this thread. Has she laid the egg now?

Increasing humidity can help hens pass eggs.

Hopefully the egg is out now, if not head to the vet for emergency extraction.
Hey thanks for your response! No she hasn't laid it, hopefully I will be able to get her to the vet soon.