• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Painful foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marie Marchand
Hi guys,

I need some advice for my little Viva this morning.
Viva is a BHP, she is about 6 months old. She is fully flighted and she has been behaving like a jet lately ;)

This morning she flew a lot arount the house and since she is gaining trust, she is becoming more adventurous. An hour after I let her out, I nitices she was perching on only one foot. When I called she name she flew to me and landed on both her feet. After she went back to her perch she eventualy perched on one foot again. So I went to pick her up I noticed that her little foot was warmer than the other. She wasn't like that when she came out of her cage this morning.

I left for work, she is with my husband. What should I do about it? She probably hurt herself with one of her landings and she skin of her foot looks good. SHould we rush to the vet or give her a day to see if it fixes itself?

Thank you so much for your answers, I don't know what I would do without this forum!

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Is it possible thats the foot she was 'warming' against her body? If not, a vet trip could be in order :hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Is it possible thats the foot she was 'warming' against her body? If not, a vet trip could be in order :hug8:
The same thought went through my mind as well.

If she is not using it (and not just resting it), you can put a towel in the bottom of her cage in case she wants to sit down there, or if she should fall off a perch. If she wants to stay in the bottom you may also have to put food and water dishes down there. Chances are if it's injured it's a minor sprain. If she goes more than 24 hours without wanting to use it, then you should consult a vet. She may need pain medication or there may be a fracture. As birds are learning to fly though they often get little bumps and bruises.

Marie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marie Marchand
Thank you for both your answers!

It makes so much sense that her foot is warming on her body since my husband confirmed that once she stands on it for awhile, it isn't warm anymore. She seems to stand on it on and off. She still gets around her cage pretty well.

Ill keep an eye on her and go to the vet tomorrow if it gets worst or doesn't get better.

Thanks again!

Marie

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
She might just be having cold feet. My birds do it all the time. You might want to check out a thermal perch some time. They are GREAT and keep my birds feet toasty warm. ;)

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Birds also have the unique ability to send more or less blood to their feet as needed. When they need their core warmer, less blood goes to their feet and their feet feel cool. When they want to cool down, they send more blood to their feet and keep less in their core.

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Many animals do this, us included and the process is not under voluntary control. In fact, I hate it cold weather for this very reason. Seems I shunt blood to my core at the expense of my extremities very efficiently.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Many animals do this, us included and the process is not under voluntary control. In fact, I hate it cold weather for this very reason. Seems I shunt blood to my core at the expense of my extremities very efficiently.
Do you have Raynaud's? Unless you do, your body shouldn't be cutting off circulation to extremities. I have it and yes, winter is miserable.

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Do you have Raynaud's? Unless you do, your body shouldn't be cutting off circulation to extremities. I have it and yes, winter is miserable.
I wiki'd Raynaud's and read the symptoms, and you know what, I may actually have a mild version of it. I definitely experience paleness and blood draining from the extremities during stressful situations, and extreme iciness of the extremities in even mildly chilly weather. Pretty interesting...I knew that many organisms have adapted to conserve body heat by shunting blood to the core, but Raynaud's almost seems like an over-adaptation of sorts that has become pathological.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I wiki'd Raynaud's and read the symptoms, and you know what, I may actually have a mild version of it. I definitely experience paleness and blood draining from the extremities during stressful situations, and extreme iciness of the extremities in even mildly chilly weather. Pretty interesting...I knew that many organisms have adapted to conserve body heat by shunting blood to the core, but Raynaud's almost seems like an over-adaptation of sorts that has become pathological.
I hate to tell you, but as time goes on it gets worse:( If it is under 60F I must wear gloves. I also have a cover on my steering wheel as the vinyl transfers cold much worse. I change my socks several times a day because even the slightest dampness turns my feet into icicles. You can also warm your hands/feet in warmish (not hot) water to help regain circulation quicker. Otherwise once they are cold it seems like it takes hours to get them halfway decent again.

Marie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marie Marchand
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to let you know Viva is standing on her two feet since last night. :dancing:

Thanks for the support!

Poetic Ramblings

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to let you know Viva is standing on her two feet since last night. :dancing:

Thanks for the support!
I'm glad she's alright! :dance4: I freaked out a little when I noticed one of Yoshi's foot was a lot warmer than the other because Oz's was and he turned out to have kidney issues (he had other symptoms too.) Then I realized it was the foot he'd been holding to his body. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.