• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Outside Aviary, ideas, pictures please

Rahel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rahel
We've built an outside aviary last year and because I'm always looking for new ideas on how to improve them and make them nicer for our feathered friends, I would love to see how other aviaries look like. What plants, perches, toys did you put in there? What are their sizes, how many birds and different species are in there? How is the setup for the feeding and watering bowls? etc., etc.

This is a very big project to me and I really appreciate suggestions, ideas and tips.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I can't wait to see some pics too! I'm getting ready to redo my aviary as well, might even change or make a new one... Here is a picture of mine. I'm going to add some rope perches and a 2x4 perch. Maybe even a shelf on the left corner and cover the sides so he can get out of the sun/wind if he wants to. It's 7 1/2 by 3 1/2 I believe. image.jpg

Roxxie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Whitney
Ohhhhh, I need ideas too.

My husband is about to build a deck that spans the whole width of the back of our house and I want to build an aviary on part of it. I don't want it for the birds to live in but for them to have a safe place to enjoy the nice weather with us.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
This is right after I finished building it in 2011:

This is in the fall of 2013:

This was sometime last summer. My birds do not go to the ground for the most part. My youngest male cannot use his legs so he is lying on a towel on a little cage I have in the aviary that I sometimes hang so a naughty bird can be out there too without causing drama. This picture was taken from the sliding glass door out of my bird room looking through the pass-through I built so I did not have to carry my birds to the aviary. The camera has distorted the length, but you get the idea I'm sure.

This picture was taken last winter on a rare day that it was warm enough for them to go outside for a bit. My standards of "warm enough" have definitely lowered since I built the aviary! They soooo enjoy going outside for a breath of fresh air, even if it can be just for a few minutes.

I have shelves along the sides of the aviary on top of regular shelf brackets where I place their food and water dishes. I use heavy dog-food-type bowls out there for the most part.

Rahel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rahel
Haha, so other people have the same idea to combine deck and aviary.

We've built the deck over the whole width of the house just like as you Whithney plan to do, it is almost 9 feet high. Underneath we built in the aviary, I think it is 25x40x9 feet so it is quite a big thing.
I wanted different grounds and so we put in a grass area, there is a big area that is concrete (was there already when we bought the house) and onto the concrete, we've added a big self made 'flower bed' which is 8x8x3 feet. In there, I've planted three different kinds of bamboo for the birds to climb around and chew on it. Bamboo is a very fast and aggressive grower, the concrete underneath it gives it the borders so it does not grow out of control.
I've planted two different kind of banana trees which both supposed to be hardy even up here in MI. They both died at the first couple of frosts (learninglearning, always learning not to believe everything) in which I am still very disappointed since I was so happy for the birds to have the fast growing trees to work on and also to have bananas that they would be 'harvesting' by themselves, almost like in free nature. Oh well, it looks like this one is not going to happen.

We've added some bobwhite quail as 'ground maintenance'. They do a great job in cleaning all the leftover nuts, fruit, veggies, pellets etc. that fall down from our messy eaters, less to clean up for me and the aviary is free of ants and other insects. These little guys add a lot of living to the aviary and our birds don't seem to have any problems with the little guys.
We choose the bobwhites because they are a native species to MI so they can live outside all year long and we can relieve the future babies back out to nature instead of have to sell them or take all the eggs out from the parents.

My husband built feeding systems/stations that can be operated from the outside (they turn 180 degrees). This way we don't have to be concerned for the case that out of whatever reason someone else has to feed the 'beasts'. They can do it from outside and don't have to go in there. Most of our friends are not very comfortable around the big birds, so this makes it so much more comfortable for everybody.
In the moment, the water is provided by bottles from the outside but I want to put in a large bolder with a flowing system, a little pond and maybe a waterfall. Just have to find out how to keep it clean and what filter systems ect. to use.
There is a sprinkler/misting system installed but still, I think the birds would love to take baths in that little pond.
We try to make the whole thing as self efficient as possible. This will for sure not relieve us from supervision but it still takes a lot of work away.

There are still so many ideas and projects that we want to add, so I am very excited and hoping for a lot of posts and pictures here.

Rahel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rahel
I agree Kathy, they love to be outside. In the beginning I was so insecure on how much cold they could take but I've learned that there is no problem for them to stay out day and night as long as the temperatures are over 55 degrees, they probably could tolerate even lower temps if they are getting used to them in a slow way.

Ours love to play out in the snow for a little bit, as you say, a couple of minutes will be fine for them, they can tolerate way more then I ever expected. This is one of the things one has to check out step by step ... learning, always learning ...

Do you keep your birds outside during the (warm) nights too?

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I'm thinking about a water system also and have purchased the pump. Sometimes mine stay outside overnight in the summer. I made sure the wire is buried beneath the ground a full foot deep and the lower 3 feet of the aviary are double wire with 1" mesh and 1/4" mesh to deter critters. My biggest worry is mosquitos.

Roxxie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Whitney
Haha, so other people have the same idea to combine deck and aviary.

We've built the deck over the whole width of the house just like as you Whithney plan to do, it is almost 9 feet high. Underneath we built in the aviary, I think it is 25x40x9 feet so it is quite a big thing.
I wanted different grounds and so we put in a grass area, there is a big area that is concrete (was there already when we bought the house) and onto the concrete, we've added a big self made 'flower bed' which is 8x8x3 feet. In there, I've planted three different kinds of bamboo for the birds to climb around and chew on it. Bamboo is a very fast and aggressive grower, the concrete underneath it gives it the borders so it does not grow out of control.
I've planted two different kind of banana trees which both supposed to be hardy even up here in MI. They both died at the first couple of frosts (learninglearning, always learning not to believe everything) in which I am still very disappointed since I was so happy for the birds to have the fast growing trees to work on and also to have bananas that they would be 'harvesting' by themselves, almost like in free nature. Oh well, it looks like this one is not going to happen.

We've added some bobwhite quail as 'ground maintenance'. They do a great job in cleaning all the leftover nuts, fruit, veggies, pellets etc. that fall down from our messy eaters, less to clean up for me and the aviary is free of ants and other insects. These little guys add a lot of living to the aviary and our birds don't seem to have any problems with the little guys.
We choose the bobwhites because they are a native species to MI so they can live outside all year long and we can relieve the future babies back out to nature instead of have to sell them or take all the eggs out from the parents.

My husband built feeding systems/stations that can be operated from the outside (they turn 180 degrees). This way we don't have to be concerned for the case that out of whatever reason someone else has to feed the 'beasts'. They can do it from outside and don't have to go in there. Most of our friends are not very comfortable around the big birds, so this makes it so much more comfortable for everybody.
In the moment, the water is provided by bottles from the outside but I want to put in a large bolder with a flowing system, a little pond and maybe a waterfall. Just have to find out how to keep it clean and what filter systems ect. to use.
There is a sprinkler/misting system installed but still, I think the birds would love to take baths in that little pond.
We try to make the whole thing as self efficient as possible. This will for sure not relieve us from supervision but it still takes a lot of work away.

There are still so many ideas and projects that we want to add, so I am very excited and hoping for a lot of posts and pictures here.

I want mine on the deck so I can build it up against the window above my kitchen sink. I am thinking of placing a shelf just outside the window for food and water, but also leaving the window open so they can come in if they'd like.

Rahel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rahel
I want mine on the deck so I can build it up against the window above my kitchen sink. I am thinking of placing a shelf just outside the window for food and water, but also leaving the window open so they can come in if they'd like.

We cut a hole of 8x8 feet into the deck and put panels in there, so they have their 'watch tower' on top of the deck and they can be with us when they want. The hole is just over the flower bed. We cut down a tree that we placed in the middle of the bed, so they can climb up on it. It's their preferred sleeping place too. Same when it is raining, everybody has to sit at the highest point to enjoy the rain.

Rahel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rahel
I'm thinking about a water system also and have purchased the pump. Sometimes mine stay outside overnight in the summer. I made sure the wire is buried beneath the ground a full foot deep and the lower 3 feet of the aviary are double wire with 1" mesh and 1/4" mesh to deter critters. My biggest worry is mosquitos.
This is why I asked, I am worried about critters and so we placed two rows of the big center stones into the ground underneath the panels to make sure nothing is digging through underneath to sneak in.
Mosquitos are a big concern though, especially with the west niles virus. But, there is always a risk whatever you do. Otherwise the birds can fly out there and have healthy and clean air to breed. It is a pain during the winter when they are all in the house, I'm constantly cleaning dust, refilling humidifiers and opening windows if the temps are just a little bit warm enough to do so, even if it's only for a couple of minutes.

Rahel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rahel
Those are pictures that I took while building it and when we just finished putting up the panels and the first trees. It looks different now but, there is still a lot to do. I love it!

Attachments

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I am glad you started this thread as well. As I mentioned before, we are looking to build an Aviary this spring. We have been looking for ideas as well. So far our biggest obstacle so far is, what is safe wire? We have been looking around trying to get an idea as to what is available in our area and it seems slim pickings at this point. What has everyone else used? We are wanting wire, not netting, though the birds would only be outside when we are. The big thing is that it cant be permanent. We do not own this house.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Rahel, that aviary is outstanding! I love the cut out in the deck. I would think they would spend a lot of time up there because it's the highest point?? Where did you get your framing/wire from?

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I am glad you started this thread as well. As I mentioned before, we are looking to build an Aviary this spring. We have been looking for ideas as well. So far our biggest obstacle so far is, what is safe wire? We have been looking around trying to get an idea as to what is available in our area and it seems slim pickings at this point. What has everyone else used? We are wanting wire, not netting, though the birds would only be outside when we are. The big thing is that it cant be permanent. We do not own this house.
I used galvanized wire and scrubbed it with a wire brush and vinegar water. I have read doing that and or having the wire sit out in the elements over time takes the zinc (or whatever it is) off the wire.

Rahel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rahel
We have been looking around for a while to find what we liked the most. Our panels came from 'cornerslimited.com' in Kalamazoo, MI. They do a lot of work in zoos (all custom work) all over the USA and they absolutely do a perfect job, they know their business. It is not cheap but we thought we would just wait and save the money because we wanted a very save place for our birds. And with Macaws, it really has to be solid and stabile.
We have been working with Jeff, he always had an open ear to our thoughts and wishes and did a great job. We assembled everything ourselves but he will also do the job for you if you don't have the skills or the time.
The 'tower' on top was an idea that we had during building the deck. We love it because we can share time with our birds while being on the deck. We eventually plan to add more aviary that will be higher, out in the yard. But, oh well, we will need to save money again for a couple of years before we can make this wish come true. For the moment, we are very happy with what we have to give to our birds. They love it and so do we.

Rahel

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rahel
Corners Limited goes all over the USA and they are on the rode quite often, so maybe they could just drop off your panels while passing through so you would not have to pay extra for the shipping. It's always worth a try.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
i love your aviary rahel. are those their modular panels that were customized to fit the side of your house?