• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Outdoor cage upgraded!

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The cage's been out for 1.5 month and I've bored a tunnel in the wall so the birds will eventually be able to go in and out as they wish (when they learn tunnels don't eat small birdies up...). The birds love it and we were living happily ever after until Monday evening.
I was sitting on my balcony with the birds when my neighbor from the first floor started shouting at me that the feathers and seeds were everywhere on her veranda and to do something about it at once because she was fed up with cleaning every day... :wideyed:

Had she told me 2 weeks ago, it was still possible to move the cage on the other side to the veranda, but with the tunnel in the wall now, I can't move it anymore. I can't pack the birds in either, they are outside to get some fresh air and light, not to be cooked in an oven.

I found a mosquito net I fitted on the veranda railing + attached a bamboo mate on the side of the cage so that things wouldn't fly out. Also, I stopped giving them seeds outside, they only get some when they come inside.

Still, not good enough, says my nice neighbor :cautious:. I took the birds in and cleaned the cage with brush and vacuum cleaner. Nova is shedding feathers at the moment. Is there any way I can bound them so they wouldn't fly around? The only thing I can think of is having a thin layer of water at the bottom but that would only fix the feathers actually falling down. Many of the smallest ones are sitting in the net itself, on the cage's sides, and since the birds aren't using the bottom of the cage, the feathers start flying from the upper part of the cage...

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Oh crap. I would probably have to shave my birds to keep feathers from flying! If there’s no way to completely cover it with net, I can’t think of anything that would keep the feathers in.
I hope someone knows how to solve this for you. Otherwise you’ll either have an angry neighbor or angry birds. Not sure which is worse :(

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I was sitting on my balcony with the birds when my neighbor from the first floor started shouting at me that the feathers and seeds were everywhere on her veranda and to do something about it at once because she was fed up with cleaning every day... :wideyed:

Tell her unless she shuts up, you have a bunch of friends in the U.S. that will call her a party pooper!
Oh mercy... I will be thinking of possible ways to solve this, but my creative brain is certainly not as good as yours.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Best solution , would be to move them to the other side and repair the hole in the wall. Better to do that then trying to contain the mess and dealing with the aggravation from your downstairs neighbor.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
That's so awesome!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
She is a difficult person to begin with, so party pooper she is anyway, but I don't want my birds to be a nuisance to anyone. I'm just a little pissed by how she tells me about it.

I've cleaned the cage, I've cleaned the balcony and flushed it for any seed that would have been sitting under the boards. Hopefully that will help...

Last edited: