• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our unexpected new family member

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Trust will eventually blossom. She is a pretty green girlie.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's very pretty! It's great that you are making progress.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
She has such a sweet face! :bighug: Thank you for taking her in and giving her the care she deserves, Kenny :heart:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
She is precious. ...

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Thank you all, she is sweet but a challenge. She does this crying sound like a baby bird does, I can only assume its because she misses her old owner. Its really sad sounding and makes me
sad when she is doing it. Its getting less frequent thankfully.
I reread Monicas thread how to change a bird over to a better diet and tried some of it this morning. She actually ate a bunch of better stuff this morning and a few pellets as I didnt give her the seed mix
she came with. I also changed her paper so I could monitor her poop to make sure she is eating. She likes to come out on her own and sit on top of the cage but Im afraid to let her do it unsupervised
because her wings are butchered and she cant fly at all, she just falls like a rock, so we sit and talk to her when she is out.

This is all completely new to me, Lucy came to us as a baby so we didnt have to do any of this. Im so thankful for this forum and the people here, all of the encouragement and great threads on
how to do this stuff is extremely helpful.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
nice

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Such a pretty and happy looking little Miss Birdy!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Thank you all, she is sweet but a challenge. She does this crying sound like a baby bird does, I can only assume its because she misses her old owner. Its really sad sounding and makes me
sad when she is doing it. Its getting less frequent thankfully
Patience and tolerance are the keys! She has her own pace and trusts as she is capable of it. Just remember, you're the lucky one here!

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Miss Birdy got a clean bill of health today :starshower1:

She weighed 353 gms and the vet said she was a good weight for her size. She said her feet looked great which we were worried about since her only perch was rough sandpaper like
material. Her beak and talons were fine, we told her we were letting her wings grow out of that horrible clip, but she never even mentioned it. We still have to wait for blood work to get back though.
She was pretty good and stepped up for the vet and didnt bite anyone. She protested a little when the vet was spreading her wings but overall she was a good girl. She got treats when she got home
and seemed happy to be home :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great! :)
And what a sweet girl she is. ♥
I have never had a parrot at the vet that step up, so Miss Birdie sure sounds special.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Awwwwwwwww

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Just an update on Miss Birdy. Shes settling in pretty good so far, she doesnt play with toys and refuses veggies, but she is eating some pellets now. She also refuses a shower or bath and she seems really dusty but we will keep trying different things on that. She has really taken to my wife which we knew she preferred women, but she does step up for me and gives me kisses when I ask for them. We are still waiting for labs so she is in the spare bedroom and we can tell she hates it. She contacts calls and wolf whistles for my wife in the mornings and whenever she is in there and can hear us in the living room. We bought her a play stand just for her and she sits on that quite a bit near us and enjoys it. Tonight my wife was holding her and she crawled off her hand and onto her shoulder and cuddled in her hair and went to sleep. My wife was really nervous because she doesnt even let Lucy on her shoulder, but in the couple of months we have had her she has never bitten either of us and doesnt even attempt to bite. Here is a pic of her on my wifes shoulder before she went to sleep. Sorry for the long winded post :)

miss birdy shoulder.jpg

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
she is so beautiful....

Did you try a spray bottle? When i first got these two, I bought one at the store and put it on a fine mist setting, then I spray way ABOVE the parrot so it drifts down on them. It's taken years but now MC is ok with a shower mist. Secret still hates it UNLESS it is 2pm in the afternoon, light is coming thru bathroom window and her crock dish has lukewarm water in it. THEN she will sit on the side of the dish in the shower floor and will step off during the mist and crawl into that bowl and HELP me give her a bath.

They need that water for their pin feathers so they get a bath once a week.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
they were feeding her hot cheetos, peanuts in the shell and sunflower seeds.
I'm so glad y'all were there!!!
Diet is SO important!!! My 27yo YNA had spent over decades eating nothing but Goldfish crackers, Ranch dressing and graham crackers only. His only known vet appointment was by his foster mother.

Best wishes! Remember, love and patience can overcome!!! :dance4::heart:

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
@Clueless She is terrified of a spray bottle, as soon as she sees it she starts squawking and trying to fly away. She still cant fly with that horrible wing clip so we havent tried that again. I dont
want her to get hurt because she cant glide to the ground yet. I did get a misting system that Im going to install in the aviary, it will be well above where she perches and Lucy as well so
we are hoping this will work. It has a very fine mist and I can cover the entire aviary with the system.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Very happy for all of you! God Bless! :)