• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Our rooster is DEFINITELY not himself! **Sad Update**

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
Just the other day, Izzy was acting mopey and we were concerned . He drank alot and didn't eat for that day. We pick him up and he vomits after drinking and today he won't drink or eat anything! He won't show any interest in the other chickens and this morning we found his balled up under the closet in the coop ( their nesting boxes). Anything helps, this roo is very dear to us. Thanks

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Can you take him to a vet?

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
My parents are not too enthusiastic about that idea but I belive it is a crop impaction because of his symptoms. My dad recommend laxatives like olive oil for him to eat.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm afraid I don't know much about chickens but in parrots vomiting is often a sign of infection. I think there are on-line vets you could at least ask if you can't get your chicken to a vet and see what they suggest.

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
Thanks all for the help.. I will definitely take your advice :)

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
UPDATE: Izzy is back to drinking by himself occationally, we put olive oil in his water and soaked bread in it too. The only way to get him to eat is to force his mouth open and place the piece of bread in his mouth and he ends up swallowing it, even showing some interest in eating more bread but ends up not. I have been watching him poop and it is yellow and white... In parrots it is a sign of infection, so i might just end up calling a vet and asking them what we should do.

quazy4quakers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Olivia
Izzy is eating by himself!! We have to force feed him at first. This morning, i got his normal pellets and soaked them in water so they were soft and tugged slightly at his waddles, put the food in and waited. He showed some interest in the food and then started eating!! I was so happy! One of our friends is a vet and i will ask her about the rooster