• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I've been thinking about Sophie's (Meyers) foot a lot lately. My AV seems to think that at one time her ankle and toe was broken and never treated. She gets around okay but I was wondering if it would be in her best interest to have her toe amputated. One of her two toes that are supposed to go forward actually go underneath the other toe (does that make sense? I'm horrible at explaining things!) Here's a close up of her foot:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338775961.220957.jpg

The white nail is the toe that goes under her other toe. That toe seems to be her biggest restriction when climbing. It is constantly getting stuck on the bars of her cage. I've also noticed that she doesn't perch well because of that toe. Here's a picture of her on her flat perch:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338776101.080134.jpg

I kinda feel like if I was to have that toe amputated, she would get around a lot better. What do you guys think? What would you do?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it would help her get around better I would do it,it seems that it's pretty much dead weight at the present time. I would worry that if that gets stuck in the bars and she panics she might rip it off that way,and cause herself a huge trama. Instead of a qualified vet doing it in a proper medical setting.

Love the pic by the way,she is so freaking adorable :heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would have to agree. I think it looks uncomfortable and looks like it gets in the way of otherwise easy movement.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
What does your AV think?

And yes, she is freakin' adorable. :D

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have to agree, I would definitely consider it if it holds her back significantly. The only thing I would consider is what the best timing would be. Any kind of surgery is stressful, and the recovery especially so. If she hasn't totally settled in yet I would maybe wait on it since she's gotten on okay this long.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would agree also.

Anytime surgery is involved with a bird. Anaesthesia is a huge concern and always risky. Your bird being healthy, fit and of good weight to withstand the surgery should be weighed against the toe problem.

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
She looks so cute and wonderful. I have this terrible facination of Meyers; and don't need another one, of course. But her markings are very interesting.

Talk to a vet about the amputation. If she is getting stuck in her own cage bars she would benefit from losing that misplaced toe. Either that or needs to have a cage with larger spaced bars so she is not getting stuck. You could try that first.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
What does your AV think?

And yes, she is freakin' adorable. :D
Thanks!

I haven't talked to him yet about it. He actually called Friday with her test results and I totally forgot to ask him :rolleyes:

He said all her results came back great which he was surprised because of her past history so I would think that she would be okay to go for the amputation.

I plan on waiting a while so she can settle more but if the doctor ok's it, I really think it'll help her. She is a total sweetheart :heart:

JackDele

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
Could you vet-wrap it to the other front toe? That would keep it out of the way for the moment and give you an idea of whether the amputation would help.

Mrcrowley

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
I think if she is getting caught in her cage on that toe chaces are some time she could get it stuck causing panic and like some people said traumatic injury beside the fact she might chew it off in panic . Her emotional state of mind needs to be
considered also if that happens . I think her having it amputated will be quicker and less traumatic .

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I had Hobbs Meyers in a cage with larger spacing than needed because he had a twisted toe that sometimes got stuck. Worked ok until one day he broke the toe somehow. I took him to the vet and she taped it to his other toe and it healed stiff, but no longer got stuck. I do not do anesthesia with birds unless I absolutely have to do it. I left him in the too large cage he always had and he had a great life until he died four years later of that anesthesia reaction.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Maxwell's toes are like that, but much worse...if you think the benefits would be good, then go for it..however definitely consider the fact that anesthetic can be a killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.