1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Opinion on grain/seed mix

Discussion in 'Feathered Food Court' started by tattoosiva, 8/13/19 at 12:37 AM.

1. tattoosiva

tattoosiva Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

This will be split between:

My 4 cheeks
    Friend 2 cheeks
    Friend 3 cockatiels

I applaud those who sprout but these guys aren't having it. It's all organic and stuff all 9 have eaten mixed and seperatly.
    • 4 pounds oat groats
    • 3 pounds muti color quinoa
    • 3 pounds soft wheatberries
    • 3 pounds millet
    • 2 pounds millet clusters
    • 3 pounds buckwheat groats
    • 2 pounds hemp seed
    • 2 pounds milk thistle seeds ( not in mix, split 3 ways to add as needed/wanted)
    • 2 pounds amaranth
    • 2 pounds golden flaxseed
    • 2 pounds brown flaxseed
    • 1 pound chia
    • 1 pound sesame seeds
    Will post pics after I mix and pack on Wednesday.

Hawk12237, Rain Bow, jmfleish and 4 others like this.
  2. Shezbug

Shezbug ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW! Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

I can not wait to see it all mixed together :)

Hawk12237, Rain Bow and tattoosiva like this.
  3. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Finchly
    Wow! Sounds great.

Rain Bow and tattoosiva like this.
  4. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    That’s a great mix!

Rain Bow and tattoosiva like this.
  5. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! Vendor POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    Looks like a great mix :) If you DO want to sprout later though, don't add the flax and chia as they will suffocate the other seeds :)

6. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Jen
    Looks good to me. The smaller birds need some seed in their diet. Millet is incredibly good for them and is actually an ancient grain. Hemp is really good for them too and I offer it to my bratty medium sized birds!:) The flaxseed is the one thing they might not benefit from because it has to be ground to get any nutritional value from. It's my understanding that birds don't generally bother to actually open them and then don't benefit from the goodies inside the seed. If you grind it up and serve it that way or get flaxseed oil, that's the best way to offer it but it has an incredibly short shelf life once you grind it or if you buy the oil.

7. tattoosiva

tattoosiva Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

I took out the flax and chia and added 1 more pound of oat groats and 1 pound of golden quinoa.

Seeing last month I paid $29.95 for 5 pounds of organic grain/seed, $54.00 with coupons at Amazon for over 20 pounds seemed the better deal. We got small samples from a local health food store to see what everyone would eat and the quinoa and groats were the favourites but everything was liked except hard wheatberries.

8. javi

javi Jogging around the block Avenue Veteran

JAVI
    I am glad you took out the chia. If it is fed dry it will absorb liquid from the body, doing damage to the body. And yea flax has to be ground up.

tattoosiva likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)