• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One time words? Or am I crazy?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Does anyone have a cockatiel that says a word or a sound once and then not again? Sunny doesn't talk. Although there have been times that I've thought I heard him say something but then he never repeats it. Which leads me to think I just imagined it but.... I'm not sure. :confused: For instance, once and only once I thought he said "love you" which I say to him constantly. And then most recently, I thought he made the kiss noise. I always kiss his head before I leave for work and make the "Mwah" sound when I do. Yesterday, I swear he looked at me and went "mwah". Today, nothing. The only think that keeps me from thinking I'm completely crazy is that once and only once, Sunny whistled the Irish Spring tune after the commercial was on. My fiancé heard it too. So that time I had a witness. Do you think it's possible he actually says things just once or is it my imagination? Do your tiels ever do this?

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Nala used to sit and talk to herself. Although it wasn't clear so I have no idea what she was saying, but it was so cute. Then she just stopped out of no where. Now she just makes bird chirps.
So maybe Sunny is talking but it's not perfected yet so it's hard to really understand him. It is definitely possible he's saying those things.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
There are things I catch Tyrion saying ..whole phrases sometimes and then never again ...have to wonder what Im thinking :wacky:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I would think that tiels could and would do that. Awhile ago Kathy thought she heard Igor say "feed the pig", but hasn't heard it since... "eat a pig" still remains strong as ever. (thank you, Milton!) Doodle once said "wow" for a day or two, but never after those couple of days. Our tiels are big whistlers, but I've detected no distinctive human created melodies...

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Twilight talks some, mostly in summer or in the mornings when my husband is around. He might go months without saying anything, then start in again, so I think Sunny is probably saying he loves you and giving you kisses! Awe...:heart:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Not a tiel but I heard Itsy say "hello" once and right in context. She surprised me by flying into the shower with me when she first came & her cage was in the bathroom. When I turned around she was there on the perch and said "hello". Never again. She also said "stop" once. And I heard Tiki do kissing noises but not for awhile now.
So, no, I don't think you're crazy! :D

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Unfortunately, the only word that Bella has every uttered is, of course, the word NO when I wanted her to get back into her cage.

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
My Kiki starts chattering like crazy when I'm on the phone or talking to someone else! He also talks to me in the morning. He has a few phrases I can make out very well. (Pretty Bird, Margarita, whatcha doing,) The rest of the time I can't tell what he's saying. Sometimes I think I hear Hello. And once I thought he said Love you to.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
It's also possible he's talking when your not around birds like to do that

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks all for reassuring me of my sanity. :D It's good to know other birds do this too. So whether he really did or not I will relish the thought that Sunny actually told me he loved me. :) I do wish he'd make the "mwah" sound again. It was pretty cute. Much better than his crow caws. :facepalm:

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Buddy has one phrase, which sounds either like "Bub-bubs" (her nickname) or "bedtime," depending on the context. For all I know, she could be reciting the dictionary when I'm gone...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
For all I know, she could be reciting the dictionary when I'm gone...
Buddy has always impressed me as a very sharp birdie...she could be doing something like that when you're not there....:)

Jessie1285

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessie
Before Charlie passed, one day while we were alone, he said "Pretty bird!" Over and over maybe ten times. No one knew he could talk. I had him a month and it was the only time he did it. He was so special. I miss him. So yes, I believe it's totally possible!

retajomi3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tayla
Basil's said "hello" quite a few times and he spends a lot of his time barking and blowing kisses and Valor mimics my partner sneezing, he also makes a noise that sounds literally like he's saying "diddle-diddle-diddle". Our house-mate's budgie says "i love you", "who's a pretty bird?", "whatcha doin", "hi", "f*ck off", "CONNOR" and regularly mashes these words together, so you can only imagine the outcomes... Valor also makes a greeting chirp every time he sees someone, which is quite pleasant.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
As my gcc Yuka is young, her talking ability is quite little. But her favorite thing to do is make these "quack" sounds in different tones. She even does what sounds like her name but in quacks.:D
It's adorable. :xflove:
Mimi, my tiel, doesn't talk though. She does sing but it's more individual, different toned, squawks in a row. I think it's because she's a female, they aren't known for their singing but she certainly gives it her best try. :laugh: