• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One Month In...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaimmorr

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaime
A lifetime to go. :)

We've had Ricco for a bit over a month now. I'm head over heels. My partner... Not so much. LOL. They'll be alright in the long run, I'm sure. Ricco is definitely "my" bird, but he's getting so much better with others! He nows lets me set him on my partner's arm or shoulder and he's alright with her, but she still can't pet him or step him up. He has let two of my friends pet him now which is big progress! Yay!!!

He's "sort of" potty trained. As long as I remember to put him over newspaper or outside or something, if I give him the cue word he will go. But He won't ever let me know or anything, but that's fine!

There's only a couple things so far that I dislike... One, he refuses to try any new foods, so getting veggies and fruits into him is a nightmare. But we're working on it. He is almost completely converted to pellets, though. He took to those well, he likes them! I have also discovered that he loooves walnuts. Pine nuts are still his favorite (of course, they're the most expensive!) Two, he is still plucking. :( He's got a nice bald patch on his chest now. :( It makes me so sad! I think it's because of his rehoming. I don't know. He is going to the vet again on Monday, so I will have to see about that. Three, he is OBSESSED with putting things in his feathers... I don't know if this is even a bad thing or not, but he just does it soooo much. He can't shred a toy or eat or anything without stuffing it in his feathers what seems like violently! Should I be concerned? If so, how do I stop it??

Thanks for all the support, guys. I need to post more, but I've been so freaking busy. Ugh!

:hug8:

DSC01019.jpg DSC01015.jpg DSC01017.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwwwww he is a cutie.

KatherineI

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katherine
Rrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I always do that in my head and felt like I had to share :lol: I even roll the R when I do it, haha!

Unfortunately, I have no advice. I do, however, think you're doing a fantastic job! Plucking is also something that may never be "cured" :( Sorry. But it does sound like he's adjusting well. Hubs and I can't believe we've had Sugar 3 months now, it feels like we've always had her and she's just awesome. Tonight, she let us know her new favorite word is "what", and has said it over and over and over. LOUDLY, :rolleyes:

Also, I demand more Ricco pictures!!!

Mare

Hit the Road
Hi Jaimmorr! Ricco is very handsome! So happy to hear all is well! I'm going on three months with my Sassy girl and have finally come to the conclusion that she just likes to pick at herself, especially when I'm giving her scritches. She is also going through a very heavy molt, which doesn't help. The vet found nothing wrong with her skin. I'm thinking that goffin's are prone to this. The perky, bouncy personality also goes along with them and that is a wonderful trait!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a doll..so glad he is doing well

Status
Not open for further replies.