• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One Legged Canary

rosedene

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
carly
Hi!
I'm having big problems with my Canary!
I normally have my two together Coco (boy) and Charlie (Girl) , they have been together for like 6 plus years.
Coco has had to have a leg off yesterday and is not coping very well, and I have had to separate them because charlie has started fighting him! (Is she just being dominant or something? normally they would be in love and snuggle together and now she seems to hate him.

I'm thinking about buying a separate cage, what do you think? The one I have now is a parrot cage so I don't know whether I could find the room for another one ):

I don't know if it is just me stressing for no reason at all and I suppose it is too soon to start, but he is having problems getting around, balancing on his one leg and even with his wings straight out he still falls off.

Birds having a leg off doesn't seem like a very common thing to happen so I can't really find any advice?

Also I was thinking because He just keeps sitting at the bottom of his cage, is there like a platform type of thing I can get him so he could sit up high. Anything you can recommend, bearing in mind I live in the UK.

My poor baby I just feel like there should be more I can do for him?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Sorry your canary had to have her leg amputated. I don't know why he's being mean but I think they should definitely have seperate cages while Coco is still recuperating.

I think she should probably have a small cage to restrict too much activity. Other members will hopefully chime in to give you some tips on how to do that.

Hopefully one day they can be reintroduced but she definitely needs time to heal.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Your little one needs a separate cage, like yesterday.

In nature, if an animal is ill or other disability (amputation) the other birds will pick on it to the extent they kill it.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
yes, definitely separate cages immediately.
I don't know vendors where you are, some of our vendors that sell platform perches probably ship there but you want it now.
if you can't make your own from wood and hanger bolts, you might be able to work it with a sturdy box, flat side up with a towel over it for traction.
go to this "special needs crossing" subforum for more ideas - one-legged birds are not as uncommon as you think, it just will take him a bit to adjust.
Special Needs Crossing | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
I thinkk the separate cage idea for awhile is a good idea. Keep them close to each other though. They both need time to adjust. Platform perches are a great
idea and in time she will adjust. My canary has one and he has no problems and loves his. Sometimes he just sits on it and looks out the window. Time and patience and all should work out. I would also keep food and water lower while she is recuperating

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Fleece for the platform will help with grip and give a little cushion. And yes you need to separate them but keep them were they can still talk to each other. Birds will change their minds for reasons we will never know and turn on each other. It is just what they do. Good luck and keep us posted.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome