• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One GCC or two?

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
Hi I am planning on getting a green cheek conure (or two). I need some info on keeping two conures together. I will probably get two young green cheek conures that are the same gender and from the same batch. I will also house them in a very large $350 cage and they will have adequate space. The questions I have are

- Will they bond with each other more than me, to the point they stop interacting with me (even if i give them individual attention)

- Are there issues even with birds that are siblings in the same cage (my friends who have them from the same siblings said they never did)

- If they are opposite gender, and they mature, will they breed and return to their wild instincts

If these issues are a thing, should I just get one GCC ?(I cant have another cage my parents will not allow them as they say it is an eyesore :( )

Should I just stick to one conure? or is getting two worth the hassle?¿ :)

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll try to respond to your questions.

Caging together: Sometimes they will get along great in the beginning and sometimes they won't but then as time goes by there is the possibility that even though they got along initially they will no longer want to be caged together and they will start to fight. You will wind up having to separate them and get them individual cages. Can't predict whether or not this will happen but I have had this happen each group of clutchmates I had caged together (except for Mulder and Scully who were separated because Scully got ill and then I felt it best not to put Scully back in the large cage). These are red-bellied parrots not conures but it doesn't matter....no predictability. Even my red-bellied babies bonded parrots had to be separated because they started fighting. It depends on the individual birds.

Bonding: My birds that are siblings always interacted with me except for the three who went through a phobic stage for a few years but when they came out of it they started interacting again. Once again, it depends on the individual birds.

Breeding: You do not want siblings to breed so probably best if you get 2 birds that they be the same gender.

2 or 1: That's up to you and your parents. Why do you want two and why do you think 2 might be a hassle? As you probably know, birds can be a lot of work and they can also be costly. More to consider besides the cost of the bird and the cage: vet costs, food and treats, travel cages or carriers, toys and accessories. Do you still have your Ringneck?

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
I'll try to respond to your questions.

Caging together: Sometimes they will get along great in the beginning and sometimes they won't but then as time goes by there is the possibility that even though they got along initially they will no longer want to be caged together and they will start to fight. You will wind up having to separate them and get them individual cages. Can't predict whether or not this will happen but I have had this happen each group of clutchmates I had caged together (except for Mulder and Scully who were separated because Scully got ill and then I felt it best not to put Scully back in the large cage). These are red-bellied parrots not conures but it doesn't matter....no predictability. Even my red-bellied babies bonded parrots had to be separated because they started fighting. It depends on the individual birds.

Bonding: My birds that are siblings always interacted with me except for the three who went through a phobic stage for a few years but when they came out of it they started interacting again. Once again, it depends on the individual birds.

Breeding: You do not want siblings to breed so probably best if you get 2 birds that they be the same gender.

2 or 1: That's up to you and your parents. Why do you want two and why do you think 2 might be a hassle? As you probably know, birds can be a lot of work and they can also be costly. More to consider besides the cost of the bird and the cage: vet costs, food and treats, travel cages or carriers, toys and accessories. Do you still have your Ringneck?

Thanks for your input and this is actually my aunts ringneck btw lol. Anyways what I meant by the hassle of 2 birds is first finding a reliable breeder, then finding a breeder that is willing to dna test, pay for dna test and then pay for more until you can find two birds from the same batch that are same gender. And then as you said, usually they will be fine when they are siblings in the same cage but over time they might change their mind and I would have to separate them. Thats what I meant and

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Most breeders who are responsible breeders do DNA testing. They don’t have to be from the same clutch, just the same sex. We got a GCC pineapple some months ago and now are getting a turquoise yellow side from the same breeders, whom I consider friends now. They also discount every fid you get after the first one as a courtesy.

As iamwhoiam has said, each bird is an individual so there’s no telling whether or not two fids will always get along but there’s no reason you couldn’t get a cage that has a divider so if it becomes necessary to separate them, it’s easy enough to do.

Having to GCC’s could end up with them bonding with each other more than you but that is also determined by you. If you have enough one-on-one interaction with each, then on the whole you will be part of the flock while having individual bonds. If you don’t, then yes they will be more interested in each other.

I hope that helps. :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I've found most breeders use a mail in system which isn't as reliable as some of the more well-known labs. You can certainly be a third flock member but you need to spend a lot of time with them. If you leave them for days with no attention, they will gravitate to each other.

You could get same gender birds wanting to be mates as well. They also do not care if they are siblings when the urges hit. Managing mating behaviors can be done. Again, that's were the work comes in...

What will you do if your birds fight and need another cage? Will your parents make you rehome one? That might be something to think about.