• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

OMG Topper laid an egg!

samccormack

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Scott
Topper my approximately 21 year old citron crested cockatoo just laid an egg! I’ve had her for 9 years and this is the first one she has laid with me (and I suspect ever). Of course she starts doing this at 10pm on a saturday when there are no qualified vets around I can just get advice from.

For those who have layers what’s a typical clutch? I am guessing I can expect at least one more (I think I felt one in there). Should I get her into the vet and get her checked out at least? I didn’t see any blood and the egg (see attached picture) seems to be normal. She also had some clearish fluid that would drip out for a bit after (not a stream just drops every 30 seconds or so for a few minutes after the egg came). I left the egg in the cage with her (it broke when it fell to the cage bottom) and I’ll replace it tomorrow with a fake one as soon as I can find some.

I hope I am doing the right things for her and this doesn’t become a new thing for her. I think this happened because I’ve been a way for 2 and a half months and she’s been super happy and cuddly since I got home.
FDA705BB-F025-4B54-8765-BA76952538AE.jpeg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That must have been a huge surprise. Citrons tend to lay two to three eggs in a clutch.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I hope you have an avian vet to take your bird to for wellness checks and any emergencies should you have one.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I think this happened because I’ve been a way for 2 and a half months and she’s been super happy and cuddly since I got home.

That would do it. Nothing you've described is out of the ordinary. As long as she laid it fairly easily the second one should appear in 2-6 days. It's rare they only lay one.

If she takes an interest in them let her have them until she voluntarily abandons them (30-40 days). Stay on top of her diet and make sure she's getting all her nutrients.

Nice to hear from you Scott.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If she laid the egg Saturday she should be due for egg #2 come tomorrow (Wednesday).

How is she pooping?
Eating?
Activity level?

samccormack

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Scott
went to the vet today. Topper doesn’t have another egg, at least naot yet. they think she was just sore so they gave her some pain meds which seem to be helping.