• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Old Threads

alcmene

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This old thread http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/old-threads.129508/

talks about how the preferred policy on AA is to not resurrect old threads but to start new ones instead. I've noticed quite a few zombified threads lately though. I just wanted to check in and see if that policy has changed? And, if not, is there a way to set it up so that threads automatically lock once they are older then a certain time period?

Whenever I log on to AA I always click the button to read new posts and don't always check the dates. Sometimes I comment on something and then feel like a dummy after the fact when I realize I've replied to a thread that's a year old!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
We have to manually go in and close old threads. It's been awhile since we have done it. Once things slow down a little bit for me in real life I will work on it again :)

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Don't worry about it! It's definitely not a big deal. I just didn't know if i was doing the right thing or not and wanted to check in about it

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I've had that happen to me and realized that it's usually because a new member has obviously been perusing all the threads and has commented on something which then revives the old thread. I'd hate to see the "Shame" thread go though ...

Last edited:

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Im guilty of bringing up old threads in doing research. I did run across a thread where someone said it was better to just ask a new question, so thats what Ive been trying to do.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I've had that happen to me and realized that it's usually because a new member has obviously been perusing all the threads and has commented on something which then revives the old thread. I'd hate to see the "Shame" thread go though ...
I don't think the criteria for defining an old thread is from the date the thread was started, but from the date of the last post. I could be wrong though?

I've seen quite a few old threads brought back to life lately and i thought maybe the mods had decided that closing down everything old was too much trouble so they were changing the policy (which would be totally reasonable!)

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how the old thread thing works, which is why i started this thread for clarification to make sure i'm not doing the wrong thing. :)

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't think it is a big deal if anyone brings up old threads.
:shrug:
I don't either. But I knew there's a sticked thread that says not to. So I wasn't sure what to do when I see an old thread. Didn't want to break the :aarules:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
IMO there is lots of valuable information in some of the old threads and sometimes it is easier to provide a link to one instead of going through the same exercise again. Also, some of the old threads contain information from members who are gone or no longer active and their expertise would be lost.

It's ok to stop comments on them, but I would sure hate to see many of them thrown into the trash can.

PS - the "Bite" thread should stay forever.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I like old threads unless they are hurtful or rehashing drama, controversy

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
IMO there is lots of valuable information in some of the old threads and sometimes it is easier to provide a link to one instead of going through the same exercise again. Also, some of the old threads contain information from members who are gone or no longer active and their expertise would be lost.

It's ok to stop comments on them, but I would sure hate to see many of them thrown into the trash can.

PS - the "Bite" thread should stay forever.
Old threads don't dissapear. They're still searchable and readable. They are just locked for new responses. So if someone wants to talk about the topic, they have to start a fresh thread rather then reviving one that is years old.

I honestly don't know which way I prefer. What prompted me to ask about which way other people prefer and what the board policy is- I was reading along, not realizing a thread was an old one that someone had resurrected, and up popped a comment by Peggy and I felt like I'd been punched. Her posts were always so valuable, it's good for that information to still be available. But to have her ghost sneak up on me like that was really hard.

I miss her. :sad11:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I love old threads. I especially take the time to read posts from certain members like Peggy. It's how she will stay here with us always. I also love to look back at how I've changed. I laugh at some of the things I said years ago.