• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Old oil tank out emergency

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm so glad things are getting settled and back under control! You have been through the wringers!!!
No on deserves so much at once!
:grouphug3::bighug::grouphug:
I hope this now becomes a beautiful holiday season full of good cheer and many blessings

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
So..... the Scrubbers blown out a breaker. Today we were able to find a way to make it keep it going :) So it's going to be here until Wednesday. There still a very faint smell in the basement. But it's definitely a whole lot better then it was before

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I can't picture what this thing you have in your home is but I certainly hope it is sorted out for you by Wednesday.

I keep trying to work out why a gas tank would be indoors but then I have to remind myself you guys have some very different names for items thank we do and also quite a few differences with other things when it comes to buildings so I may be visualising something totally different to what it actually is.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
The one I had in my house growing up was like this.

It was placed in the basement furnace room, could be filled through a pipe from outside and supplied heating oil to the nearby oil-fired furnace.

1702338262847.png
Throughout the heating season, a delivery truck will visit to refill.

1702338407174.png

When people convert their heating to something else, like natural gas or electric heat pump, the oil tank is no longer useful and needs to be removed.

It's a liability to leave them in place.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't picture what this thing you have in your home is but I certainly hope it is sorted out for you by Wednesday.

I keep trying to work out why a gas tank would be indoors but then I have to remind myself you guys have some very different names for items thank we do and also quite a few differences with other things when it comes to buildings so I may be visualising something totally different to what it actually is.
In northern areas (USA, Canada, etc), where it gets brutal cold in winter, oil furnace tanks are inside in the basement. Otherwise the cold would make the oil too thick to move thru the line to the furnace.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
@Shezbug It was a oil tank, sorry I was confusing the two in the beginning. Maybe you could change the title? Everything was such a panic in the beginning.

The tank was very old. I think it was last used in the 80's. The house itself is over 125 years old. I think 127 or 128? We've very lucky there's no asbestos down there. Our house predates that. There's horse hair insulation down there! Don't ask how that works because I have not idea. @JLcribber might better all these sorts of things. There's a machine in the basement and bigger in one the kitchen. I'll take a picture when I can.

The basement itself is more like a cellar. Its not like today's basements. It's not all finished and won't be easy to finish it. Plus the ceiling are so low anyhow.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
The one in the kitchen. Please excuse the mess.

20231211_195052.jpg 20231211_195047.jpg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The one I had in my house growing up was like this.

It was placed in the basement furnace room, could be filled through a pipe from outside and supplied heating oil to the nearby oil-fired furnace.

Throughout the heating season, a delivery truck will visit to refill.

When people convert their heating to something else, like natural gas or electric heat pump, the oil tank is no longer useful and needs to be removed.

It's a liability to leave them in place.
Oh my goodness I kept telling myself it could not be one of those old things that was inside the house... We used to have them here too for heating and cooking but never were they indoors, they were positioned outside the home close to where the oil was needed. I guess using that sort of fuel in an environment that is crazy cold would have its problems. The only one I can think of seeing here in a really cold area had a little shed built on the side of the house and that is where the tank was.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Shezbug It was a oil tank, sorry I was confusing the two in the beginning. Maybe you could change the title? Everything was such a panic in the beginning.

The tank was very old. I think it was last used in the 80's. The house itself is over 125 years old. I think 127 or 128? We've very lucky there's no asbestos down there. Our house predates that. There's horse hair insulation down there! Don't ask how that works because I have not idea. @JLcribber might better all these sorts of things. There's a machine in the basement and bigger in one the kitchen. I'll take a picture when I can.

The basement itself is more like a cellar. Its not like today's basements. It's not all finished and won't be easy to finish it. Plus the ceiling are so low anyhow.
I will change the title for you no worries :)

Lol my last home (which I loved to bits and am so sad not to live there anymore :( ) had horse hair plaster in some of the original walls- oh boy were they heavy and so much better insulated than the new thin plaster with top quality insulation- horse hair plaster kind of acted as an insulation on its own. Love the older homes so much!

We do not have too many places here with basements or cellars- many of the old pubs (of which there are a ridiculous amount!) and larger old shops in some of the local towns (country areas) do still have cellars if they have not had them closed up but very few of them are useable for anything other than storing kegs so I am always fascinated when I hear of you guys having basements and cellars.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
In northern areas (USA, Canada, etc), where it gets brutal cold in winter, oil furnace tanks are inside in the basement. Otherwise the cold would make the oil too thick to move thru the line to the furnace.
Makes sense! Thank you for the explanation.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My house is 109 years old. Still have most of the horsehair plaster walls. Original kitchen cupboards, including one with a mirror inset are Georgia Red Heart pine. Living room, dining room, downstairs hall & staircase are oak, including pocket doors & a full swinging door. 2 archways downstairs. Second floor all wood is Georgia Red Heart Pine. All floors tongue & groove Georgia Red Heart Pine. High baseboards. Only ever replace 2 original poured glass windows. Windows are double hung, tall & wider than normal windows in most houses. Window, swing open, at the bottom of the staircase is pressed glass with a starburst pattern. The front & side porch doors are original beveled plate glass. The slate roof we had to replace due to a bad hail storm, but the original slate lasted 88 years. 9 foot ceilings downstairs, 8 foot upstairs. Original Eagle Claw & Ball claw foot tub. Front porch is open L shaped, goes across entire front & half way down the side. Tall 8 foot columns across front & down the side porch. Tongue & groove porch ceiling. Full attic with 4 windows & one dormer. Basement was mostly dirt floor, but we did have over half of it cemented. We have 2 big chest freezers, lots of food storage units, shelves (loaded with bird food), porch furniture, an upflush toilet, water treatment units, etc., down there. We also heat it in winter to keep the old copper pipes from freezing. Original heat was room stoves (Parlor Stoves), which basically heated one room & were for wood or coal. There were 2 downstairs & a cast iron kitchen cook stove, that heated the kitchen. Upstairs one parlor stove in the master bedroom & one in the hall. They were removed back in the 40's. Coal furnace was put in sometime in the 40's, & removed in the 70's, when an oil furnace was put in. The house is red brick. The back porch was closed in back in the 50's & turned into a mud room, laundry & pantry. Oh and a lot of original tube & knob wiring. The house has so many doors & windows there is barely any wall space. I'd say probably 90-95% of my house is original. It's not overly warm due to all the widnows. So we use drapes & blinds to keep the cold at the windows in winter. Our area has many old homes like these with unfinished cellars/basements. Thirty munutes east of us is the city of Williamsport, PA. They have many huge old mansions that are 3 & 4 stories. Many with windows that go from floor to ceiling, marble fireplaces, etc. I love these big old houses. Only some newer homes here have no basements & are often heated with propane, so those tanks are outside.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
The smell is all gone and we didn't have to bring the machines back. Today is day we go to pick up Echo. I'm so worried he's going to be mad at me. I've never left he this long. Hopefully he'll be good, he normally is. But you never know....

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Good luck let us know how you get on I bet he will be so excited to see you
The smell is all gone and we didn't have to bring the machines back. Today is day we go to pick up Echo. I'm so worried he's going to be mad at me. I've never left he this long. Hopefully he'll be good, he normally is. But you never know....

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:bliss: :happydance:
I can't wait for you to be reunited! Big hugs and big smiles

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Aww Echo looks happy to see you! I feel happy to see Echo looking so comfortable, I really love his sweet face :heart: