• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Okay 'too masters! I have questions!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
Regarding romeo, the rbc we got yesterday...

He has sat in one place - without moving the entire day. No eating, drinking. Not a sound. I heated up mixed veggies and my hubby stood there, feeding him piece by piece. He ate it fine. It's like he doesn't know to go to the food bowl. We don't have a cage yet - which i feel could be part of the problem. I think he is used to sitting in his cage 24/7. ... :( do you guys think he will eat when he finally gets hungry enough? Sunflower seeds, ugh.

Are their beaks supposed to be a yellowish color? Or do you think this could be nicotine? He does preen, and did well with a shower this morning.

I won't handle him at all (because i handle my macaws all day when i'm home and i am trying to quarantine as best as i can). Hubby is doing the holding and feeding. The bird is talking like crazy to him and interacting well. Advice guys....please!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's only day 1. He's being very cautious and on guard. It's pretty common they won't eat or drink the first day. That would mean letting the guard down.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Some can be very shy, timid in fact. Maybe tomorrow out of the corner of your eye you will catch him taking a bite of food or a drink of water. Will he take food from you at all??

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
some can be very shy, timid in fact. Maybe tomorrow out of the corner of your eye you will catch him taking a bite of food or a drink of water. Will he take food from you at all??
yeah, that's the strange part. He will eat and eat if somebody hands him food. Just will not go near the bowls on his own.

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
He is probably, scared, upset, nervous, etc. after being moved to a new place.
We moved 3 months ago and my goffin just got to his normal self last week!! He did not accept the move well at all. Our Grey was the one we were worried about and he seems to love it here. So we never know how it will affect each individual bird.
Just be patient with him, but make sure he eats and drinks his water. He is probably just checking things out and will adjust in time.

igors mum

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
i agree with what the others have said about his eating.as for the beak colour it should be a greyish/tan bone colour it could be stained yellow from a food it has eaten maybe hopefully not nicotine. here is a pic of my females beak. the tip sometimes will turn a different colour as they wear it down.
as for him moving around mine stays pretty much in the sameplace all day to i think some red breasted toos are a bit on the lazy side lol.

Attachments

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Congrat on the Galah!

Can we have a pic? :dance4::D

How old is he? What is his story?

Your doing great. Handfeed him some steamed veggies and pasta and rice!

Also I recommend soaking up some pellets (until they are easily smashed down into a mash), mixing with a blend of veggies, like sweet potato and squash, add some oatmeal and some crushed flax seed or crushed other nuts (for protein and healthy fat), ad some water, and microwave, and stir (make sure there are not hot spots, and the consistency is like oatmeal) and serve up! Great way to get nutritional food into him from Day 1, and its a great comfort food for new birds:)

pineview01

Glad to see you maded it here. I'm so glad you got this baby and are getting info on how to care for him.

Did she not let you have his cage or didn't she have one for him? Do you know if she fed him out of a dish or did she just feed the seed by hand? If so he may not know food is in dished or that kind of dish.

I'm finding my U2 doesn't care for the crocks. He seems to like the SS dishes that are in the other birds cages.

Zelle

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zelle
My RBC loves scrambled eggs. You might try putting some in his bowl. I agree with the others. He will get used to the new surroundings in time. Just be patient. :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cindy you are getting good advice. Romeo is in a completely new atmosphere, new people, new sounds, new flock, that is pretty scarey! Sometimes it takes weeks to months to feel comfortable and build a trust bond. To eat from your hand is actually a great step in the right direction. Patience is the key.
As far as his beak color, it would help to have a photo. RB2s have a horn colored beak. If it is unusually colored it defintely could be nutritional.
Your doing great!

Last edited:

AngelGoffin

Sprinting down the street
I don't consider myself a "master" but I know that Angel didn't eat anything on her own for the first week that I had her. Although she knew me and although I took her out of that horrible environment she was in, she was very, very scared. She had the same cage but nothing else was familiar. It just takes patience. If he's eating out of your hand, well at least he's eating. Angel would only drink water and dried corn and only if I handed it to her. After five days of this, she would cautiously eat on her own (and I'd like to think she was eating at night but I don't know).

It's all about patience and the bird getting their confidence. She's a little piggy now. She loves her scrambled egg in the morning and now eats all kinds of veggies and fruits and organic grains.

He IS eating and that's the most important thing. Time and patience and you'll be fine.

Congrats on the newest member of your flock. Where are the pictures? :)

Sorry I don't know anything about beak color but looks like you have some good advice/feedback.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
Thanks to all of you...I will post more later. Just can't go there right this minute.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I don't consider myself a "master" but I know that Angel didn't eat anything on her own for the first week that I had her.
Along with Bokka's health issues and the stress of being in a new home (again!) he didnt eat on his own for a long LONG time! Well he'd eat "some" seeds, but I took those out of his diet 100% for a long time, they were killing (-my vet said) along with heavy metal toxicity, bacteria and crop infection, along with liver and kidney failure. I handfed him his meals 2xs a day for a year before he started to eat on his own, out of a food dish,etc. He even hardly drink out of his water, I had to give him warm water in a cup 3-6xs a day to make sure he was getting water. What I was eating, he'd eat, but he never ate out of his food dish. I personally soggied up pellets, cooked some veggies, cut up fresh,etc, and hand fed it to him(stick it into his mouth, tilt his head back, and he'd swallow it).

To this day, I still have to do this for Bokka when he is going through any type of medical treatment for his liver or kidneys (he wont eat much). Which is 80% reason why I handfeed all my birds their birdie mash at night, and then followed by a tiny bit of seed before bed.

Last edited:

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
Along with Bokka's health issues and the stress of being in a new home (again!) he didnt eat on his own for a long LONG time! Well he'd eat "some" seeds, but I took those out of his diet 100% for a long time, they were killing (-my vet said) along with heavy metal toxicity, bacteria and crop infection, along with liver and kidney failure. I handfed him his meals 2xs a day for a year before he started to eat on his own, out of a food dish,etc. He even hardly drink out of his water, I had to give him warm water in a cup 3-6xs a day to make sure he was getting water. What I was eating, he'd eat, but he never ate out of his food dish. I personally soggied up pellets, cooked some veggies, cut up fresh,etc, and hand fed it to him(stick it into his mouth, tilt his head back, and he'd swallow it).

To this day, I still have to do this for Bokka when he is going through any type of medical treatment for his liver or kidneys (he wont eat much). Which is 80% reason why I handfeed all my birds their birdie mash at night, and then followed by a tiny bit of seed before bed.
no words for this post...:hug8:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I would take it as a good sign if he's talking a lot. Will he let your husband handle him, can you feel his body to see where his keel is at? I wouldn't suggest any fatty foods like eggs, especially if you can't feel his keel or if you can feel fatty deposits on either side of his keel. These guys are really prone to obesity.

Status
Not open for further replies.