• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Okay, is There a Well Constructed Cage Out There that Doesn't Cost Thousands of $$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Feather Fantasy
I bought this cage for Tequila probably 7 years ago and I have to say this cage as far as sturdiness and overall wear has been better than the Kings cages I have. I have been wanting to replace Tequila's cage and would even consider getting this brand again over Kings.

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
Nice little aviary for the big bird.

I suppose I'm lucky having a smaller guy. We opted to go for the largest cage on the smallest dime. I guess I'll find out in time how the quality really is but it's going on 3 months.

as for craigslist. They usually have a really large cage for a hundred bucks or so that has been left out on the patio or side of the house for at least six months. usually. I won't travel outside of the east valley to look at a cage unless it looks spanking hot in the ad.

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Karen ... that is AMAZING. Did you make that yourself?

I'm actually in talks with Bennett right now :)
Yes, we're lucky to have a local place to get the anodized aluminum tubing. The SS mesh came from California to NY. We built one for Kady & Kita.

I've always admired the Bennett cages. Next on the 'to do' list is a cage similar to Bennett using the Anodized Aluminum tubing and the AA rod instead of SS mesh.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Have you thought of making your own cage?

BirdyBooty

Walking the driveway
Feather Fantasy
I bought this cage for Tequila probably 7 years ago and I have to say this cage as far as sturdiness and overall wear has been better than the Kings cages I have. I have been wanting to replace Tequila's cage and would even consider getting this brand again over Kings.

Yes! I love the two Island Cages I have, they have held up extremely well for us, and we've had one of them in constant use for about 6 years.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
As I'm looking at the acrylic idea, only as bizarre thought right now, one thing that has me interested is acrylic glue. A guy that made a rat box said that the glue basically melts the two pieces of acrylic fusing them into one and then evaporated leaving nothing harmful behind for his rats to find. I wonder how true this is? I do not know if it would be possible to hold large pieces together long enough to meld them into one but how about a cockatiel sized cage?
Please dont build a plexi-glass cage. They are worthless cages! They scratch easy, have little to no ventiliation in the cage, are very hard to clean and keep clean, not to mention you are basically shoving your bird into a clear box. Seems like torment to me. Everyone I have ever talked to that has one of these hates them and says throw them away. The only thing they are good for is a hospital cage or special needs birds.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
The A&E cages have lead in them...they state that on their web site...I wouldn't buy one of them. Don't you have a true Kings European for Truley Ginger? I think that's the best you can do unless you want to go custom made SS and even then, I'm personally not happy with the choices.
Jen, I think you are mistaken. A&E cages are tested and they post the results on their website. I carry A&E cages and I wouldn't carry them if I was not sure they were safe. Here is the link with the actual test results for all of the paint: http://www.aecageco.com/painttesing.html

Last edited:

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
So why again do the birds need a new cage now? Perhaps they could wait another year and that will give you more time to look around.

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia
Where I live is almost impossible to find a good cage or at least a big one. All is made in china and no brands. SS are only sold for small birds and they a so expensive so I will never think of buying them. I have 2 cages and they are both made in china-no brand but I have no choice so that is still good. My Macaw has the cage for a year no and it is fine. I jus got the second one-corner cage for my CAG and it look nice and hope will last long. Both cages are about 230-250 $ each-this make 500$ for both. Reasonable and I think they will be long with us. I wash them outside in the garden with a lot of water and no rust. Easy to clean. I only have problem with the feeding bowels as Jack learn how to open the doors(now they are all locked) and he know how to push the bowels down so they end up in the bottom of the cage. Now I got 2 SS bowels and mount them opposite way so he can't take them out or push them down.
I wish to make them a small aviary out or buy a big - huge cage to keep them out in the days we are out with them but for now this look impossible because I can't fined such cage here or build myself-materials look very expensive and it is not easy to do it - we may move from the house (I have been changing houses every 2 years, this is normal here) and then what will happen with the custom aviary?
I some how envy you because you have so much options there. Here in Dubai it is like you live in a different planet with no access to birds accessories and cages. You can buy any bird you wish but how you will be looking after is your own problem....
I find the cages here very expensive too and I got mine from a place that price them very reasonable but the other pet shops carry the same things on double and triple prices because they know that they are only 5-6 shops sealing this cages.
I'm ordering many things from US but can’t afford to ship a cage or Play Stand-Java Tree (wish to have one of them some day)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Wow..those Bennetts are nice.:eek:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Jen, I think you are mistaken. A&E cages are tested and they post the results on their website. I carry A&E cages and I wouldn't carry them if I was not sure they were safe. Here is the link with the actual test results for all of the paint: Paint Testing
Nope, they state right on the pages you listed that there is lead in their powder coatings...all of them. They seem to think this is acceptable and maybe others agree but frankly, I absolutely would not buy anything that had any lead in it whatsoever...it isn't needed and shouldn't be there. Lead in any amount is a hazard. I've had a Kings cage and an HQ cage tested and both came back at 0 ppm for lead. Those are the kinds of cages I would ever consider buying.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Feather Fantasy
I don't think these cages work well for the larger birds either. I wouldn't put a Cockatoo or a Macaw in one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.