• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oh Noo?????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
Theres a girl that comes over who is deathly afraid of Sierra. Its so bad that she flung a pillow that sierra was on. She has even kicked at poor Sierra when Sierra came near her.
Now Sierra has had enough. She literly chased after the little girl. She ran after her wings a flareing straight attack mode. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. I have gotten after this girl for being mean to my bird so much that she isnt even allowed anywhere near Sierras cage. Now that I have stopped the girl from terrizing my bird my bird is terrizing the girl. Its the funniest thing ever. Sierra chased her from one couch to the other,then ran acrossed the floor after her into the kitchen I wanted to stop her but I was laughing so hard I couldnt....luckly the little girl managed to escape thru the back door. Now what do I do about this???????????????????:rofl:

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Who is this girl? A neighbor? relative? Does someone in the house babysit her? Does she have to be there?

Mexy52

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Denise
it still amazes me how parrots recognize people and know who they are and if they have a history of terrerizing a bird lol

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not let the bird on the floor. A LOT of cockatoos get aggressive on the floor. If she's chasing after this little girl, it likely won't be long until she tries it with you. It helps if you don't run. That kind of takes the fun out of it, but you need to make sure your wearing decent shoes that she can't bit through and some good jeans that protect your ankles. My large cockatoo isn't particularly aggressive, but she has tried charging at me. A lot of cockatoos are better at biting than Ariel is, so I wouldn't take this too lightly. Also, I'd keep her off the floor and out of kick range from this kid. There's no reason a cockatoo should be in a position to be kicked.

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
Who is this girl? A neighbor? relative? Does someone in the house babysit her? Does she have to be there?
I have known her step mother for over 20 years and am helping them out right now until they can get on thier feet. I have a house full....Her brother and sister play with Sierra and just adore her and so does her parents its just her that has a problem.

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
Both of them can bring great harm to one another, and a situation could develop exceptionally fast. I would not allow either of them to be in that position. I would handle the situation like I would if the little girl were a cat. By starting the situation off by terrorizing Sierra, she has created a history with Sierra which includes predator-like behavior, and Sierra is going to respond accordingly. I wouldn't allow them to be anywhere near each other, or certainly to ever be alone together. It would be my choice to take zero chances that there might be any interaction at all, ever again, for both of their sakes. I don't see any possible good coming from it, and I wouldn't want Sierra to have any more bad history with this girl than she has already experienced. Often when a bird cannot bite the one it wants, it bites the one it is near. And that means that no one is immune to being bit, even the bird's favorite companion, if the bird goes into overload.

Last edited:

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
Not let the bird on the floor. A LOT of cockatoos get aggressive on the floor. If she's chasing after this little girl, it likely won't be long until she tries it with you. It helps if you don't run. That kind of takes the fun out of it, but you need to make sure your wearing decent shoes that she can't bit through and some good jeans that protect your ankles. My large cockatoo isn't particularly aggressive, but she has tried charging at me. A lot of cockatoos are better at biting than Ariel is, so I wouldn't take this too lightly. Also, I'd keep her off the floor and out of kick range from this kid. There's no reason a cockatoo should be in a position to be kicked.
Thats easier said than done. I rescue all types of animals and this house belongs to them and my son not me them. Sierra walks the floor and climbs up your pant leg when she wants your attention and even goes to the Kitchen where her treats are stored she is really smart. I would hate to ever tell one of my animals they couldnt roam around thier home. I would rather keep the little girl out of parts of my house which is what I have decided for now to do. My animals are my children and I love each one of them with all my heart.
This is only temperary with the little girl...my

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
Thats easier said than done. I rescue all types of animals and this house belongs to them and my son not me them. Sierra walks the floor and climbs up your pant leg when she wants your attention and even goes to the Kitchen where her treats are stored she is really smart. I would hate to ever tell one of my animals they couldnt roam around thier home. I would rather keep the little girl out of parts of my house which is what I have decided for now to do. My animals are my children and I love each one of them with all my heart.
This is only temperary with the little girl...my
I certainly understand your connection with animals, especially birds, and relating to them as if they were children. But I would add that, even with our children, we set rules and boundaries, that they may not like, but are necessary to maintain their health and safety. It would be wonderful if you could ensure they would never come into contact with one another even again. The next hurdle will be Sierra coming into contact with someone who reminds her of that little girl, for whatever reason, and Sierra goes off the deep end unexpectedly. I've seen that happen quite often - or that it develops into a bird that dislikes all children, all men, all women, etc. Bad experiences can become generalized in a bird's mind. Ultimately, I know you will do whatever is best for your bird. :)

Last edited:

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway
Both of them can bring great harm to one another, and a situation could develop exceptionally fast. I would not allow either of them to be in that position. I would handle the situation like I would if the little girl were a cat. By starting the situation off by terrorizing Sierra, she has created a history with Sierra which includes predator-like behavior, and Sierra is going to respond accordingly. I wouldn't allow them to be anywhere near each other, or certainly to ever be alone together. It would be my choice to take zero chances that there might be any interaction at all, ever again, for both of their sakes. I don't see any possible good coming from it, and I wouldn't want Sierra to have any more bad history with this girl than she has already experienced. Often when a bird cannot bite the one it wants, it bites the one it is near. And that means that no one is immune to being bit, even the bird's favorite companion, if the bird goes into overload.
Thats kinda what I have done. See I have her family living with me until they can get on thier feet. My thing is my home belongs to my son and my animals. Im not going to change any of my animal habits for this child who knows better and honestly had it coming. So what I have done is forbid the little girl from the living room where Sierra is. Sierra stays in the living room except when she wants her treat then she goes to the kitchen and no kids are allowed in there with out an adult cause they make messes and Im OCD....;)

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway

I certainly understand your connection with animals, especially birds, and relating to them as if they were children. But I would add that, even with our children, we set rules and boundaries, that they may not like, but are necessary to maintain their health and safety. It would be wonderful if you could ensure they would never come into contact with one another even again. The next hurdle will be Sierra coming into contact with someone who reminds her of that little girl, for whatever reason, and Sierra goes off the deep end unexpectedly. I've seen that happen quite often - or that it develops into a bird that dislikes all children, all men, all women, etc. Bad experiences can become generalized in a bird's mind. Ultimately, I know you will do whatever is best for your bird. :)
The best thing for Sierra is for the little girl to move out. But Im not about to kick them out the little girl will just have to stay out of certain rooms and deal with it. I think for now that would work until her parents get on thier feet and get thier own place.....I have known her step mom for 20+ years I cant kick them out

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Best thing you can do is stop considering it a joke. This girl has caused stress to Sierra to the point that she feels the need to attack. Nothing funny about that :(

Brooke

Real Name
Brooke
I don't see why it's funny that your bird lungs, chases, and attacks the little girl :huh:
Even though the child does not belong to you, I would take extra precaution to ensure that the girl is safe by securing your bird. Even though your bird is like your child, I believe that humans should come before animals. It's not uncommon for a child to be afraid of a bird, especially a too', so I can see where she is coming from. I would have a good long talk with the girl about not terrorizing my bird, in the same sentence, I would also secure my bird so that problems like this would not arise again.

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin

The best thing for Sierra is for the little girl to move out. But Im not about to kick them out the little girl will just have to stay out of certain rooms and deal with it. I think for now that would work until her parents get on thier feet and get thier own place.....I have known her step mom for 20+ years I cant kick them out
I'd be puttin' a heavy leaning on my friend of 20+ years to keep her wild coyote-child corraled!!!:eek:
:lol:
It would be the perfect learning opportunity for the parent to have some long heart-to-hearts with the child about how she has treated/terrorized the bird, and the affect it has had on the bird and the entire household. And finally the effect it has had on her since she has been forbidden to be in the bird's areas. ;)

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway

I'd be puttin' a heavy leaning on my friend of 20+ years to keep her wild coyote-child corraled!!!:eek:
:lol:
It would be the perfect learning opportunity for the parent to have some long heart-to-hearts with the child about how she has treated/terrorized the bird, and the affect it has had on the bird and the entire household. And finally the effect it has had on her since she has been forbidden to be in the bird's areas. ;)
We have grounded this child placed her in time out done just about everything you can think to do besides spank this child trying to get her to leave my bird alone. This kid just wont mind. I dont know what to do about her....All her parents can do is keep appoligizing for her behavior punish her again and wait for the next thing she does.....I personaly cant stand thiis child I love her to death but I cant stand her....I dont know what to do.....I know Im not making any of my animals live locked up in a cage all day because of this child....This arrangment where she cant come in the room where Sierra lives is gunna have to be inforced by everyone in the house so that Sierra can not be terrized by this child and/or Sierra cant hurt this child either....

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
If someone, regardless of family ties, was unable to respect my birds then they would not be allowed in my house. Simple. I'm not having my birds behaviour affected because someone was unable to control themselves.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

No kidding.

(I might even be tempted to tell the girl that if she doesn't start towing the line that I will hog tie her up, throw her in that room and let the bird terrorize her for a while.)

Sierra2012

Walking the driveway

No kidding.

(I might even be tempted to tell the girl that if she doesn't start towing the line that I will hog tie her up, throw her in that room and let the bird terrorize her for a while.)

I have made it where this child is not allowed in almost half my house and trust me everyone in this house knows how unhappy I am about this whole situation and hopefully everyone reforces this new rule and this dont happen anymore

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you are certainly in a tough situation and I know you must have thought it funny at first, but I am sure that looking back on it, you realize that it was not funny and that your reaction was misguided....so now it is up to you to not reinforce that behavior in the too...I realize that you are trying to help these people out as they are down on their luck..but that being said, they are guests in your home and must follow your rules...make sure you are firm about this and do not allow Sierra any further attack opportunities.

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
I live with an unpredictable too that would love to attack my family members. It's not fun being in the middle and having to put myself between them constantly. Even worse is taking the bites for having done so. That said, I would suggest showing the little girl some pictures of too bites so that she understands that by constantly trying to put herself in the same space as the bird that those bites could be her fate. All About Cockatoos - MyToos.com has quite a few pictures and stories and there have been quite a few posted on AA as well. I hate to scare a child even more when she's already afraid of the bird but if Sierra gets a hold of this little girl she could be scarred for life, lose fingers, be disfigured, and on top of the guilt you would feel for that you would probably be looking at a large lawsuit. Not to mention just a trip to the hospital for any bite could put you in a position where animal control is called in and once that happens there is a potential you would lose all your birds. Yes, that's probably a little extreme but I do think you have to think about about worse case scenario. It could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.