• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oh boy, any duck people out there? I'm a new mommy!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
So it seems the eggs my kids found were fertile. Out of the three eggs only one hatched. Well I had to help the poor baby hatch after 24 hours of him trying himself he was stuck. So I very very carefully helped him out. It was nerve wracking but mission accomplished and now we have an adorable baby mallard. My concern is that she/he is alone this is where I'm seeking advice. Should I go to the farm store and get another baby ducking to raise them together? They have mallards. I read online that ducks shouldn't be raised alone. Here he/she is. So cute how he loves Donald. There were other things in the area for him to cuddle with but he chose Donald right away he's doing really well. Eating and drinking fine. Growing an inch daily. He hatched on Friday. he's been in a giant metal bath tub type thing with his warming light, safety water dish and his baby duck (unmedicated) food crumble. kids are having lots of fun watching him all weekend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332732292.379216.jpg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awwwwwwww, I had one here for a while. We named her Rubber Duckie. When she started flying through the house :eek: I took her to a wildlife rehabber and she was placed with a bunch all about her size. Then they were all released together as a flock. She was fun though, I went through literally thousands of meal worms.

Teasha

If you do get a mallard from the hatchery you must know it is a different kind of mallard and should not be released. Those are domestic mallards, so please do not release it! I had to take in some domestic mallards and a few others someone let go so they would not freeze and starve through the winter. You will have to mark them somehow so you know who is who. The look exactly alike lol. Do NOT allow her to swim right away. Since she was not hatched by her mother she does not have the oils the mother 'rubs' on her when she sets on her babies. I used to hatch out ducks and chickens out of incubators, I had a small game farm. I usually waited about 3 weeks to let them swim and never in icy water. Depending on how cold it is and how the baby handles it you should let her have access to heat lamp afterwards. But in all reality you should look for a rehabber so they can get her ready for release. Just releasing them with no life skills sets them up for failure. They earn learn a lot from their peers. :) Glad she is doing well so far! Your doing a great job!

Teasha

How long did you give the other eggs in the incubator before chucking them? Some babies can be late hatchers so I always gave them extra time....

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Well the other egg is still in the incubator. I don't have the heart to throw it out. still hoping. The 3rd egg never really developed due to being cracked very early on. But the one still in incubator was DEFINATELY alive at some point I saw it when I candled it.

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
We named him/her Quacker Jacks

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw what a little sweetheart :heart:

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
So cute! I rescued a baby duck that was stuck in the boat lift on our dock a couple years back. I could hear its cries, and momma duck was FREAKING out, so I knew something was wrong, but it was dark and hard to see. After I called a bunch of friends to help, we managed to raise the lift just enough to get him out (moving the lift the wrong way would have just killed him, it was very stressful!). He had a big laceration on his neck. But he made it through the night and we brought him to wildlife rehab place so they could treat him. We named him Donnie :D Ducks are awesome, but checking with a wildlife rehab center might be a good idea. It just depends on whether you want to release him or not.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww, so adorable! We have 3 pet ducks.. 2 females and 1 male.. named Millie, Daisy and Bella. Congrats on the ducky.. they are very fun pets.. we love ours so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.