• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Off we go - Round two - Caique breeding

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Walked into the aviary last night, let birdies out for exercise ( but they have LAAARGE flight cages anyway).

Busy busy feeding, watching not to walk on new lovebird chicks, learning to fly and appearing under my feet all the time. when

......I turned round and there's Jack_Jack attempting to mate with Soentjie. Several times. unembarassed by the surprised human and the frankly shocked lovebird babies LOL

Houston, we have a go!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Playin with the babies tonight, all three sitting on my arm quietly, 3 peas in a pod. Boo-Boo ( about a year old), and the GTC pair - 6 mths.

Peace descends.....ahhhhhh!

Then Boo-Boo lifts his leg and places it firmly on the female baby's back and rubs hinself vigorously and unmistakeably on my hand.

WTF, hes only just gained his orange head feathers!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:devil: Your hand was, umm, available?:zipped1:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well its been a looong wait. Apparently Soentjie didnt like the cold spring we've been having this year, avg temp 15C, and waited till yesterday to lay her first egg of the year.

So all breeding protocols now swing into effect. All caiques stay in their own flights at all times. (no more nestbox invasions). Babies in the bedroom - you are exempt from this.

All papa's stay the hell away from the nestboxes.

Minimum disruption when cleaning floors etc

Even more variety and abundance of food to be supplied.

Wish me luck

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
good luck JP, and also to Soentjie and (assuming) Jack-Jack

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well, I thought I'd have a second egg today, but nothing this morning. But Jack_Jack is taking no chances. He knows he has to fertilise any new egg in a narrow window of opportunity, and I've seen him 'on duty' several times. Hard to miss really since their flight is right inside the aviary door and the highest flat perch directly level with my eyes, lol

The GTC babies have taken this mood to heart and are energetically competing to see whether they can beat the WBC adults to producing the first chick. I know, both of them still have black streaked heads. But they KNEW what they were doing all right.

Oh my eyes, my eyes, I need a stiff drink!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well here we are on Friday, and no second egg from Soentjie. She seems to be sitting pretty tight on it, and there is no competition from Jack-Jack, ie no egg football between them. Ill candle it this weekend and see what the story is.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I can't wait to hear how THAT goes over with Mom and Dad. I hope you have medical insurance!
It will be fine. I take ONE quick look in the nestbox each morning when they both come out to eat. They' re used to it now. As long as they dont see that egg out of its rightful place lol

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Ok so I went in late to the aviary this morning (8am). Jack Jack is out of the box, no Soentjie. She must be humgry, she heard me come in, no appearance.

A strong feeling washes over me. Another egg?. Start feeding Jack Jack and the others. She will appear when she wants, and sure enough she does. She looks a bit dishevelled, and not sure what she wants to eat. But shes staying out. Hmm I pop round the back, and yes, TWO eggs. Two beautful big eggs!.

Now members of the jury, having two eggs with 6 days between them creates a range of parenting issues, which we will need to discuss later. But for now we need to return to the subject in hand, I still have no pix. Soentjie is calm and relaxed.

So I pop back for the camera, one quick pic I say, autofocus, in and out in 5 sec. Open the box, viewfinder fills with orange................................

WTH?

She's messing with my mind, right?. She wants me to go INSANE!

001.jpg

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
And now its Evil EVA's turn. Feeding her and Igor goodies through the netting this morning I suddenly noticed, she has a distinct lower abdomen bulge, with even bare skin visible in that egg producing area.

I immediately added calcium to her Banana bread mush. I think she may be the next to lay
eva.jpg

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Woke up normal work time 5am, coffee - coffee! Then hear repeated harsh one note screeches from the aviary.

It goes on and on. Whats happening. Peek into aviary, sound coming from Eva's nestbox. So theres an update. Good or bad?

Good!. The egg has arrived. First GTC egg! . First egg from Eva. No complications!. I think Ill have a party! :dance5:

Mom and dad ( Igor) sitting happily outside nestbox, congratulating themselves. I tell momma shes SUCH a good girl - she'll get SPOILED ROTTEN today!

Pix later

To be noted: Eva went through the whole traumatic hormonal egg laying process with no personality changes, no mood swings, no random lunges or attacks, and looking like a supermodel for caique swimwear.

Spot, on the other hand, continues her daily attempts to slice me up and eat me like sushi. But no egg! LOL

Soentjie, with HER three eggs, is entirely happy with her life. She is sitting tight in the nestbox, only popping out when she hears me come in. she loves her treats hehe

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
The happy couple, earlier this morning. Eva on the right. Shes being quite attentive to the egg so You guys will have to wait for a pic lol
Note the slight disruption in Igor's upper chest feathers? he used to be a plucker in that area.

hc1.jpg

Mama is still quite shy about the new egg
mommashy.jpg

Last edited: