• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Off balance Jardine's

Mary M_S

Moving in
I brought home a seemingly health 5 month old Jardine's in Nov. Almost immediately he started having issues with balance. He has a wide-based stance and prefers to sit on the bottom of hid cage. He can't stay perched on my finger without falling off, and when he steps down he usually falls forward onto his face. Or he rolls onto his back- not a Jardine's roll but a tipping over. He sits in my lap but doesn't even try to climb on me. To top it off he's developed stress bars. Otherwise he eats/drinks/poops normally, is a good weight and is trying to talk. Bloodwork has been normal except very mildly elevated WBC and CPK. Going to try Baytril and meloxicam on the slight chance it's infection. Any thoughts?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Could be neurological maybe, or a trauma that didn't get resolved correctly. Maybe Ataxia?

Does he seem to be splay legged? Your vet had no suggestions? Any other vet you can take him to for a second opinion?

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree with Mizzely that you may want to get a second opinion. Did he suffer any type of trauma? Did he chew any metals? He may need to be tested for metal toxicity.
Was he able to perch when you first got him or was he perching and on balance when he was at the place you got him from? Do contact the place you got him from (pet store or breeder) and let them know about the issues.
Make sure for now that the bottom of his cage is padded with paper towels or non pilling fleece, that perches are lowered and he has easy access to food and water dishes.