• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

% of parrots clipped?

shanlung

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
From talking with other parrot owners from the general population I would say most of them know that good parrot owning means keeping their bird clipped for safety. Yes, yes, yes, I know people here will disagree. But the average person has been taught or read that its good to keep them clipped. However, I would also say many of those people are not as good about staying on top of the clip as they should be so at any time, the bird could potentially fly even though they keep it "clipped." Which possibly sets them up for a nasty situation where they aren't as careful as they should be about keeping doors and windows closed because their bird is "clipped" but the clip isn't maintained. I think most people realize their bird needs to be clipped when it starts flying around the house and getting a little out of control. They don't necessarily think of it in terms of consequences of losing their bird though through an open door because they keep it "clipped." Not saying this is right or wrong, just what I've gathered from talking with others at fairs, pet stores, people that have bought birds from me in years past and when they call me to re-clip the bird or get more instructions. I don't think it would be easy to define the percent that keep the bird well clipped and maintained vs. fully flighted. At any given moment a clipped bird might be fully flighted and the owners just let it go until the bird gets a little too nuts to handle, then they clip it again.
Have you noticed how many parrot alerts that are posted on this forum? I wonder how many of them could have been prevented with a clip. Is having a harness on a guarantee that he will not escape or get injured?
I thought I copy into here a posting I did elsewhere in a poll on whether to clip or not clip

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a

This is a most interesting thread.

From the polls, the majority of the birdies are kept flighted.
As also seen in similar polls in other birdie forums.

Below is a letter I wrote in another forum just a few days ago which I think has its place in this thread, especially in the poll which started this thread.
That was for a birdie Echo who flew away, and with a happy ending of being rescued.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

The strange part is that the BULK of escaping birdies were birdies with clipped wings , not fully flighted birdies.
Even more strange is that more birdies are kept fully flighted now, at least from the polls I seen.
Surely, shouldn't it be the other way? That more birdies that are fully flighted be lost instead of birdies that are clipped forming the bulk of lost birdies?

It is not the scissors that prevent unwanted escapees.
More often than not, that lead to undeserved complacency.

Consider how my saga with Riamfada started.
She was clipped, and assymetrically clipped on just one wing. A clipping designed to cause imbalance to birdie and about the worse of clipping.
She flew away and landed in a garden with very high walls around it to be rescued by a lady. She looked and asked around the entire neighbourhood. She was a very determined lady walking about the neighbourhood to find whose grey it was.

So it was likely Riamfada flew into her garden from a much further place.

She then gave her to my care.

So not only Riam flew far away with clipped wings, but flew high enough to get over a high wall.

I guess as Riam was a wild caught, she retained enough of her flying knowledge to overcome those clipping done on her.

And as birdies have clipped wings, that would make it almost impossible for them to fly down.

Flying down is a lot lot lot more difficult than flying up. And as clipped birds probably had never been allowed to fly at all, they do not know how
to turn and fly in any controlled way by them. Flying up is about all they can do.

That is the reality.
Not what most folks love to think.

But strangely, folks who clipped birdies and never known of them flying seemed to know so much more about
flighted birdies than I do. And so fond of asking one and all to reach for those scissors to crunch off those feathers on the wings.
Their one infallible solution to any and all problems.

It is ok for folks.
But its the lost birdies that will pay the price.

What chance have they got? Never knowing how to fly with control? Barely enough feathers to fly and no feathers for flight control?
Clipped birds lost outdoors will in almost all likelihood escaped with a death warrant tied to their clipped wings.
Do remember that whenever you reached for that scissors.

If Echo was clipped, instead of having all her feathers, Echo would not have been back and likely to have died instead.

Flighted birds, and birds knowing flight, lost outdoors will survive a lot better than birds clipped.

It is the knowledge and care and attention to details that keep your birdie safe with you.
Nothing else.
Think about it.
Go and clip and hope you beat the odds.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

and a follow up letter from me which hopefully can help those with escaped birdies.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Needless to say, I am so happy you got Echo back!

I will not, and never will, wish even the worse villian on Earth be him Hitler or Osama or my ex mother in law , that they lost a birdie, especially a grey.

The pain and anguish is so incredible and impossible to bear that it defied words and description.

Now that you got Echo back, can you ever recall the pain and depth of despair that you had when you first saw Echo winging off?
Its just not possible now. That pain was too great and utterly impossible for you to replicate in your heart now with Echo's return.

As for Echo on top of tree and not flying down to you, I believe that you missed what I wrote on getting a lost birdie back. If you had, you might have saved yourself quite a bit of pain and gotten Echo back earlier. It is too long and too detailed to copy and paste here.

You should read it, as you never know if you ever need it again. After all, Murphy is everywhere.

Search & recovery of your lost birdie
shanlung: Angkor Wat & stuff// Wife to say hi to Domdom and Riamfada// Search & recovery of your lost birdie
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Mike, the Daddie of Echo, agreed if he read that , and the 45 degree rule, he probably would have gotten Echo back a lot earlier instead of begging Echo directly under him on the branch.

But I do understand folks with a birdie up on a tree find it more gratifying to grovel and beg directly under the birdie to fly back, not realising that only a birdie
highly trained and experienced in flight can do a flight directly downwards.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

A posting that I did before somewhere long time ago but still relevant

Another posting I did in a couple of forums a short while ago in line with clipping.
I also have to add that I am actually very neutral as to clipping or not clipping. I only draw the line against that incredibly silly fantasy that clipping will keep you birdie safe as your birdie will then not fly away.

Everything have its pros and cons.
Nothing ever is infallible.

Weigh and weigh and think and think from all angles.
Then you decide, in the context of your life and the environment that you can reasonably provide, at least in the NOW that you are in.

Then go and do the best for your birdie and by your birdie, regardless of what anyone else will say. After all, you , having weighed everything that you can, is the person that must decide the best for your situation and circumstances.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaa

I thought I will post another old piece I wrote a few years back.
Not to do with total free flight outside.
Heck! In what I posted on how to do free flight outside, I hope that put the scare in those that read not to try that at all.

Leave that to the slightly and/or greatly deranged idiots like yours truly here.
But allowing them to fly at home is a different matter entirely.

After all, it is not the flying that birdies get onto birdie911. Especially when the bulk of the birdie flyoffs in birdie 911 have their wings clipped in the first place.
Makes me wonder why folks still hope to the belief that clipping of wings solved all their problems when in reality, many more clipped birdies fly away then fully flighted birdies.
And as what I said in in the poll Do you have full flight birds,

What chance have clipped birds got? Never knowing how to fly with control? Barely enough feathers to fly and no feathers for flight control?
Clipped birds lost outdoors will in almost all likelihood escaped with a death warrant tied to their clipped wings.
Do remember that whenever you reached for that scissors.

And hopefully what I wrote might persuade them to return the gift of flight back to their birdies.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Written in about end March 2007

More thoughts on wing clipping
shanlung: More thoughts on wing clipping

The extract
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Dave wrote:

Proper wing clipping will allow a bird horizontal movement and the ability to glide downward to a floor. The ideal wing clip is one that allows a bird to fly about 8 ft before gliding down.

Hi Dave,

In an ideal world, what you say above may be right.

The other extreme will be extremely severe clipping of wings. When I was in Riyadh and in a parrot shop, this grey jumped off the top of cage about 5 feet from ground. The sound of him hitting down, the spray of blood around him, and the screaming of that poor guy hurt me crazy. I do not wish ever to have another keel bone broken even if not in front of me.

People clipped for a few key reasons.

1. They had been conditioned to that because of what they read or were told. This seemed to be peculiarly American. Tinkerbell wings were so nearly clipped by me at the beginning as the books I read all recommended that (all American books) as well as forums in 2002 when I first had Tinkerbell. I was lucky enough to bought a British parrot mag to give me second thoughts.

2. The sight of initial flights, the crashing into walls was extremely frightening and I thought my precious Tink was crazy in trying to fly through walls while I stumbled about chasing her with a pillow to cushion her falls after hitting the wall. Once again, I so nearly reached for that scissors and Tink the flyig grey of Taiwan so nearly did not exist. But that british mag persuaded me to let that continue for a few more days.

She then found her flying skills to turn, slow, hover and stopped banging into walls.

Folks, this episode is inevitable. Your birds may be natural fliers, but even so, they MUST develop their muscles , flying skills and sense of balance. But at this early stage, their speed will be very slow(even if it appeared fast to you) and chances of harm to them will be there but not that much.

You can minimise this by letting them fledge in a small room, with curtains or rope nets around the walls for them to fly to and cling too. Or you can run around like me with a cushion.

If you see a human toddler trying to walk and falling down, will you have fear for his/her safety and not ever let him discover balance and walk? Will you have him/her crawl for the rest of their life because you are afraid to see them fall?

This is same as your choice for your bird.

3 By clipping wings and thinking thus the clipped bird will never fly away. I need not repeat my earlier postings of clipped birds that flown away.

In what Dave said , that is true in an ideal world. Unfortunately, we live in the real world.
But most people then went on to extrapolate that then, their bird will never be able to fly away. That is where I draw that line.

So after you got that 'perfect clip' and your parrot then fly about 8 feet and not gaining height. But again, have that clip been tested under worse case condition? Such as a sudden blast of air horn , or a strange hat thrust in front to see if that parrot cannot gain height in a spook situation?

Can you bear to do a sudden spook, or allow others to do that to your parrot? To see if that clipped wings hold good in spook conditions? And with Murphy at your elbows, how about throwing in that gust of wind at the same time?

Can you ever guarantee such conditions will never ever occur to you?

People had thought so. Their parrot paid heavier price than they did.
Your choice again to see if you can beat those odds.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

In saying that I gave anecdotal evidence, then what is it that scientifically approved of by you? Do give me the scientific evidence that you have that made what I said to be only anecdotal.

After all, as far as I know. folks that kept greys or parrots have only a few or even one parrot. If that made what they say to be anecdotal, then will the words from breeders of parrots with hundreds make what they say even more scientific? And then why not managers of poultry farms who might bred a few hundred thousands of birdies. Will then those managers of poultry farms be guru emeritus with impeccable scientific credentials to expound themselves?

Then go to them by all means and ignore all that I say as merely anecdotal and not worthy of your time to read.

If folks feel heart and mind is of no place in this modern scientific world, then obviously, my thoughts should be discarded as trying to prove heart and mind scientifcally, I leave that to those inclined on that path.

I have seen enough of bird alerts, but I guess that's only anecdotal.

People can even write to John Hayward of Parrots Lost and Found Register UK Lost and Found Registry and hear his anecdotal views that more clipped birds than flighted birds are on his register.

In that forum and that thread I was on in ,Wing-Clipping: a poll, please join in!, which I send my postings here from, that went to 224 postings on 12 pages.

After my two postings above, some one decided to go through those 224 postings on their own anecdotal accounts and this was his summary on 8 Dec 2011.

Results:
Hi guys, I've tallied up the results from the start of the thread, it is fairly rough but the general idea is there. The results are actually quite interesting. Hope everyone agrees with the figures.

Number of birds:
Clipped: 58
Un-clipped: 255 (some are aviary birds)

Injured whilst clipped: 15 (main reason, keel damage and broken legs)
Injured whilst un-clipped: 16 (main reason, collision with windows and walls, a few chip pan and fire incidents)

Escaped whilst clipped: 2 (1 injured, 1 killed by cat)
Escaped whilst un-clipped: 8 (most recovered unharmed)

Feather-pluck whilst clipped: 10
Feather-pluck whilst un-clipped: 10
Feather pluck seems to be more due to conditions kept and behavioural problems than clipping.

Hope this helps! If any one wishes to try and get better results please feel free.

Needless to say, an entity there decided clipping and not clipping gave the same results for feather plucking as she saw either way, 10 plucked giving rational and blessing to her already predetermined desire to clip. Yes, she later went on to say her maths is very good. I guess seeing 10 and 10 and recognising those numbers are identical made her maths to be good. She claimed to be accountant as well. I hoped she used a nick because if I happened to be the boss and see her mathematical skills, she will be doing accounting anywhere but in my company. It seemed those determined to clip will keep doing so based on the maths that they want to use or scientific evidence that they deemed more scientific then mere anecdotal conjectures.

I then added.

And not to forget, with flighted birdies very much the majority, 911 bird alerts consist largely of clipped birds. As reported in the survey summary, it seemed that flighted birds were recovered unharmed. Which meant that never went to the HELP! MY BIRD FLEW AWAY and consisted largely of clipped birds and likely never recovered . As I said before, clipped birds that flew flew away with a death warrant tied to their clipped wings.

And yet, folks with clipped birds who dont know how to fly will keep urging others to clip their birds to prevent birds from flying off when it is their own clipped birds that flew off.

I then I said enough on this.

I have said before this must remain the choice of the individual.

After all, why should we care for the choice of the birds themselves?

What say have the birds on this matter?

After all, whatever the bird say, that cannot be scientific enough.

JokerGirl

Meeting neighbors
Clipping is off and on in my house. I generally clip in late winter/early spring when my Amazon begins to show aggression towards my husband and just leave him be until the time comes again. It usually gives him a couple of months out of the year where he is mostly, if not completely, full flight. He's too aggressive towards my husband otherwise and will chase him through the house on attack mode.

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Update: none of my birds are clipped. Im keeping them flighted, I think that birds really enjoy flying, and that's what they're supposed to do. I want them to get Lots of wing stimulation and excersize so both will be healthy and happy.:)

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Bella is psychologically clipped. She came to me with a severe clip but when I read about everyone who allows their birds to fly, I decided not to clip her. But she does not like to fly. She loves to run though. Why fly if she can screech and I give into every demand. She is not called the Princess for nothing. :faint:

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
I clip my birds.

For us, it makes sense. Floor to ceiling windows, open floor plan, no way to keep them out of the kitchen, busy household with people coming and going all day long, either front or back door wide open almost 100% of the time.

If I kept them flighted, they would spend most of their time in a back bedroom all by themselves. Now, they are in the main part of the house around people all day.

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
Clipping is off and on in my house. I generally clip in late winter/early spring when my Amazon begins to show aggression towards my husband and just leave him be until the time comes again. It usually gives him a couple of months out of the year where he is mostly, if not completely, full flight. He's too aggressive towards my husband otherwise and will chase him through the house on attack mode.
In this forum there was this lady who have a huge flying U2 Amigo. And took to making flying lunges on her son each time he visited his mom.
I think you agree the U2 got bigger chomping jaws then a Zon.
While separated by half the planet but within reach of each other via this forum via the keyboards, I tried to help her resolve her extremely difficult situation as a flying attacking U2 can be extremely unpleasant and dangerous.

She taken my advice against the other counter advices that my advice was very bad.

Except it was as I expected and it worked for her.
Best you read that particular thread and see for yourself in her words what happened and if what I told her worked.
Hopefully that will work for you as well.

I allllmost quit. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I clip my birds.

For us, it makes sense. Floor to ceiling windows, open floor plan, no way to keep them out of the kitchen, busy household with people coming and going all day long, either front or back door wide open almost 100% of the time.

If I kept them flighted, they would spend most of their time in a back bedroom all by themselves. Now, they are in the main part of the house around people all day.
I am happy for you. I have good friends that I met in real life that kept their birdies clipped with friends that kept their birdies flighted.
You noticed I did write you must judge your own environment and living and must judge for yourself what you can do.
I will never try to brow beat you or anyone with inneudoes that you do not know good parrot keeping or hate your parrot if you chose to clip.

I do not presume to judge them, unlike those that clipped that chose to judge me and others who allow their birds to fly saying I would say most of them know that good parrot owning means keeping their bird clipped for safety.
With the innuendo that those who allow birds to fly meant we do not know good parrot owning and clipping.
As if I am one of those rotten few who do not know good parrot owing and therefore allow the birdie to fly.

I was tarred and feathered so often in 2001 when I started with Tinkerbell of Taiwan that I hate my parrot and wanted her to die
lingering death and I knew nothing of good parrot keeping and if I truly love my Tinkerbell , I should at once reach for the scissors to chomp off the feathers.
I had even been kicked out of parrot forums for allowing my bird to fly so I cannot contaminate the purity of their good parrot owning culture.

So very nearly the flying Tinkerbell of Taiwan did not exist.

But a chance glance into a British parrot magazine persuaded me to hold off the scissors for a couple of days and life was never the same after that.
I was lucky not to live in a house with kids running in and out as I suspect in your case, and with their friends.
Just me, my wife , a kitty and a ferret. And the trio became very good friends with Tink flying her mash in her mouth to feed to Zorro the ferret.
A kitty who remained a kitty, a ferret who remain a ferret and a parrot that remain a parrot, but regardless of the differences, all became very good friends and companions of us.
And another thing, I never own a parrot, or any beastie, as if I am the owner.

I am honored to be their custodian and caregiver for the period of time they were with me.
And I am honored to get their love and companionship when they were with me.
And their remembering of me, in the case of Yingshiong, even ten years after I parted with them.

Tinkerbell will fly only to two person. Mr Yu who is his current custodian and caregiver for the past 11 years.
And to me in my yearly return to be with my little girl in Taiwan.

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
My 2 have always been flighted.
When we got Nila we were going to clip his wings because that's how everyone we knew did. His breeder said not to clip him for a few weeks as he wasn't very good at landing. He enjoyed his wings so much and flew everywhere instead of climbing that we couldn't chop them off. It turned out that was the best thing for him, he actually had nutrient deficiencies that resulted in several fractures in his legs in the nest. When we took him for his first avian vet checkup, the vet explained this and said it was the best thing for him that he was never clipped he would have had a really hard time getting around without flying. The vet also was impressed at how confident Nila was for a bird with such bad skeletal issues and attributed that to Nila being left flighted.
He is now much more flexible and better at climbing, he can do all kinds of stunts.
Sapphire is just a master of flying. When she was about 6 months old she would practise diving from the curtain rail, under the pool table (dodging whatever we had stored under there at the time) to the playstand. Since she was our second bird we spent more time observing her flight development, and it was absolutely fascinating to watch! She refined her skills more and more for the first 6 months that we had her. Our favourite thing that she does is to dive from the lampshade above the stairs, which must be about 5m high, to us when we are right below it. It's so cool to watch! She dives, aims and then back pedals like anything to stop in time!
We absolutely love watching both the munchkin's skills and enthusiasm for flying! And playing games with flighted birds is great fun. :)

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think most owners do clip their birds. It's what is usually recommended in books and in articles; people just get told that clipping is what responsible owners do so they clip.

But I do not, and would not, clip my own birds. They all fly loose in the house. However all of my birds have come to me clipped already. If I got a new bird that was flighted, I might consider giving it a light clip until it had time to settle in, learn where windows are, ect.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So Tyrion has finally grown out of the his baby clip and is now fully flighted ..but he is crashing all over the place ...I see the benefit to having small birds fully flighted and had my teils that way all their lives ...but a larger bird ..I dont know I finding it to be dangerous for him ..how do the rest of you with large parrots find having them fully flighted in the home ...do they fly and crash about ..or is it just because Tyrion is just learning that is crashing so much :blink:

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
I would guess that something like 80-90% of bird owners clip. It's one of those "traditional" (read: outdated) pet practices that people automatically do when they get a bird, without really giving it a second thought. Almost all breeders and pet stores I've ever seen or heard of clip, and you can bet that any bird owners not doing research or engaging in the avian community also clip.

The good news is that attitudes about clipping are changing, as people become more and more educated about avian welfare. Take the practice of keeping birds in small cages, or not giving them toys to play with... For hundreds of years, since people have kept birds as pets, they were not given toys or enrichment and were kept in tiny cages...and no one saw that as harming their bird. It wasn't until the 80s that people started to realize it was a bad thing. Attitudes and practices slowly changed, and now MOST people (at least in the developed world) know that parrots need large cages and plenty of enrichment. Flight is part of that enrichment, and people are slowly realizing that, and there are more and more advocates for full flight. I would bet that within the next 50 or so years, more and more birds will be kept fully flighted, until that becomes common practice.

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
So Tyrion has finally grown out of the his baby clip and is now fully flighted ..but he is crashing all over the place ...I see the benefit to having small birds fully flighted and had my teils that way all their lives ...but a larger bird ..I dont know I finding it to be dangerous for him ..how do the rest of you with large parrots find having them fully flighted in the home ...do they fly and crash about ..or is it just because Tyrion is just learning that is crashing so much :blink:
Extract from a long post above that you might have missed as that was a long long post.

2. The sight of initial flights, the crashing into walls was extremely frightening and I thought my precious Tink was crazy in trying to fly through walls while I stumbled about chasing her with a pillow to cushion her falls after hitting the wall. Once again, I so nearly reached for that scissors and Tink the flyig grey of Taiwan so nearly did not exist. But that british mag persuaded me to let that continue for a few more days.

She then found her flying skills to turn, slow, hover and stopped banging into walls.

Folks, this episode is inevitable. Your birds may be natural fliers, but even so, they MUST develop their muscles , flying skills and sense of balance. But at this early stage, their speed will be very slow(even if it appeared fast to you) and chances of harm to them will be there but not that much.

You can minimise this by letting them fledge in a small room, with curtains or rope nets around the walls for them to fly to and cling too. Or you can run around like me with a cushion.

If you see a human toddler trying to walk and falling down, will you have fear for his/her safety and not ever let him discover balance and walk? Will you have him/her crawl for the rest of their life because you are afraid to see them fall?

shanlung

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
shanlung
I would guess that something like 80-90% of bird owners clip. It's one of those "traditional" (read: outdated) pet practices that people automatically do when they get a bird, without really giving it a second thought. Almost all breeders and pet stores I've ever seen or heard of clip, and you can bet that any bird owners not doing research or engaging in the avian community also clip.

Your guess might be right about 15 years ago.
When people new to keeping parrots were literally terrorised into crunching the feathers off their parrots by pitchfork carrying members of purity of good parrot owning kulture.

Times have changed.

Only a minority of folks clip their birds, from behaviourial problems or from situation where proper environment cannot be provided for flighted parrots.
But eventually kids will grow up and perhaps they can reconsider that again.

See the poll that read from and in other parrot forums that I am in.

Results:
Hi guys, I've tallied up the results from the start of the thread, it is fairly rough but the general idea is there. The results are actually quite interesting. Hope everyone agrees with the figures.

Number of birds:
Clipped: 58
Un-clipped: 255 (some are aviary birds)

The majority of folks do not clip their birds anymore.
And in addition to that, some folks even go to the extent of flying them free in the open

They treat their birds with respect and dignity due to fellow sentient beings.
And they listen to their birds and be student of their birds
Instead of becoming master and dictator and OWNER of their birds.
Look at those folks. Just ordinary folks.

See the magic that is possible

FREE FLIGHT IS LIFE AND DEATH PLEASE DO NOT TRY THIS YOURSELF UNLESS YOU DO KNOW.
NEVER EVER FREE FLY WITHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE AS THIS CAN LEAD TO LOSS AND DEATH OF YOUR BIRD.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Extract from a long post above that you might have missed as that was a long long post.

Yes I did miss this ...thank you for posting it again ....it does seem like he is going to kill himself but I have noticed he is getting better as the days go on ...so I guess Tyrion will just have to keep learning ..and Ill have to keep biting my nails :omg:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You you can Tyrion to fly from point A to point B locations in a straight line and once he's got that, you can then work on teaching him to fly in a curved direction, flying up, flying down, etc.

The question is, does he know how to land?

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
You you can Tyrion to fly from point A to point B locations in a straight line and once he's got that, you can then work on teaching him to fly in a curved direction, flying up, flying down, etc.

The question is, does he know how to land?
That would be the question ...and no not really ...he is really only just starting to fly ..and its always unexpected :eek:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You might want to help him learn how to land by jumping off of your hand and onto a bed, couch or other soft landing location. Start at a *really* short distance and gradually work on him jumping further and further off of your hand and down onto something else. This may help him learn how to land once he's in the air, and may thus reduce the amount of times he crashes.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
You might want to help him learn how to land by jumping off of your hand and onto a bed, couch or other soft landing location. Start at a *really* short distance and gradually work on him jumping further and further off of your hand and down onto something else. This may help him learn how to land once he's in the air, and may thus reduce the amount of times he crashes.
Thats a really good idea but how do you get him to jump :huh:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You can teach step down or off in a manner that he does know, reinforce, reinforce, reinforce. Then move to a longer distances (say 1/2" to 1" away) and ask for the same behavior. If he's uncomfortable, go back a step until he's comfortable enough to move onto the next step. Keep on slowly increasing the distance. Start from a step, a long step, a hop, a jump, then into flight.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
You can teach step down or off in a manner that he does know, reinforce, reinforce, reinforce. Then move to a longer distances (say 1/2" to 1" away) and ask for the same behavior. If he's uncomfortable, go back a step until he's comfortable enough to move onto the next step. Keep on slowly increasing the distance. Start from a step, a long step, a hop, a jump, then into flight.
Thanks ..Ill start tomorrow :dance5:

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I was always afraid Coco would kill himself by flying into things so I kept him clipped for years. Unfortunately, that didn't stop him from taking off at a random time in a random direction and still crashing and hurting himself. In fact, I was causing him to have more accidents by keeping him clipped and never allowing him to learn. :(

It's been about 5 months since I decided to let his flights grow and he already maneuvers throughout the main living areas beautifully. He does laps with Athena and they can now both buzz my husband as they fly by :laugh: (I think they like his hair -good nesting material). He started out only being able to land on something large, like a cage top, but now he can land on perches, atoms, boings, and my head.

An added bonus is that Coco is more confident and less nippy. I will never clip again.