• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Odd feathers on my GCC

picopico

Moving in
Real Name
Jully
Hi everyone, I wanted to ask about my GCC's feathers. some of her feathers look like she bit off a chunk when she's preening. Is this an issue that can lead to plucking? Any advice can help
Please see the pictures

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Awww she and my Ta-dah could be twins !
How much does she weigh? How old? What's her diet like ? How often does she take a bath?
It's kinda difficult to say yes she is over preening from these pictures. I can maybe see a little taken off the ends maybe. A little maybe not keeping feathers in perfect position, not talking the one sticking out, that happens occasionally.
I was petting her so not perfectly lined up. She has normal festers, it's normal to be a little fringy on the edges . So you can see yours are possible just barely a little more, with minor clipped bits
IMG_20240113_161615616.jpg

Last edited:

picopico

Moving in
Real Name
Jully
Awww she and my Ta-dah could be twins !
How much does she weigh? How old? What's her diet like ? How often does she take a bath?
It's kinda difficult to say yes she is over preening from these pictures. I can maybe see a little taken off the ends maybe. A little maybe not keeping feathers in perfect position, not talking the one sticking out, that happens occasionally.
I was petting her so not perfectly lined up. She has normal festers, it's normal to be a little fringy on the edges . So you can see yours are possible just barely a little more, with minor clipped bits
View attachment 441677
omg twinsies! she weighs about 74g she easts garrisons daily pellets along with bird chop following the recipe from bird tricks. she usually showers 1-2 per week depending on if she initiates it.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
The camera and light can make ends seem more frayed than they are . But I do see thinking on yours around shoulder, and just a couple clipped orts in jys a couple of yours feathers.
Since ours are same color , more Ta-da examples
IMG_20240128_181357435.jpg IMG_20240128_181352451.jpg

So what changes?
More easy to chew toys , some of our Vendors like lil monster, and things for wings , have especially tempting conure toys . Some other toys are just to hard.
Teaching foraging, start so easy

Veggies, especially yellow orange ge and red pepper, sweet potato, carrot, mango even swiss chard and romaine are good sources of vitamin A.

Offer a bowl like a cereal bowl with an inch or 2 of water fur bath every day, they can decide it not.

A good routine

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
omg twinsies! she weighs about 74g she easts garrisons daily pellets along with bird chop following the recipe from bird tricks. she usually showers 1-2 per week depending on if she initiates it.
Sounds like good diet. My GCC chooses a bath every day

Toys GCC love! .

Also how are poops? Any new stresse in your life , or birds life ?

And because I noticed the eyes, Ta-dah eyes darkened so you could see pupil in her brown eyes, when sick , birds eyes can show systemic inflammation in the eyes. It's a subtle thing ..and depends how dark brown your birds eyes are normally....it's not something that even all avian vet s are aware of or pick up on.

So I would suggest a avian vet check , looking at poop and crop snears for possible budding yeast, or bacteria overgrowth . Checking for blunted

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

Ran out of edit time
Checking mouth for papilla blunting, as a sign of low A. Which can happen even on pellets

Eyes, can you see pupil in the brown?. Or all looks dark ? If all dark nit able to see pupil clearly, can be sistimc inflammation. If you're has anything going on , I expect will be relatively minor health thing ..nit trying to freak you out . But something worth checking..you can see Ta-dah, pupil in her brown eyes, when she has been sick , you can not, her whole eye just looks dark . But it's possible yours has deeper darker brown eyes , and not indicating anything

Last edited: