• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Oatmeal for Budgie

Pepperjax

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm a new bird owner so have lots of questions and have been doing lots of reading. :). I have a couple of greyhounds and feed them a home cooked diet. One of those entails oatmeal with freeze dried carrots, spinach and corn a few times a week with breakfast. Oatmeal is cooked in bone broth I make, without added salt.

My question is would it be healthy to give a little of this to my budgie as well? Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Not sure about the bone broth (other members may know), but as long as the oatmeal isn't sweetened or salted, I think a little bit would be fine a few times a week.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Oatmeal is fine skip the bone broth. Any whole grain such as wheat, kamut, millet, steel cut oats, barley, buckwheat, bulgur, teff,sorghum, quinoa cooked works well for birds. No sugar no salt please

Pepperjax

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you everyone for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think you also need to check the iron content of the oatmeal. A lot of oatmeal is fortified with iron, which too much iron isn't good for little birds. Just like you don't want to feed spinach often, you don't want to give cereals with high iron content often.