• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Not all Tigers have stripes!

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A couple of beautiful Tiger Snakes! Absoloutely love these guys. They have such big boofy heads, huge venom glands making for that muscular head, a fantastic threat display with they flatten their head and neck (cobra-ish), and teeny tiny little eyes.

Their colour variations are magnificant. Pure black, bright golden, bright red, all variations of stripes, amazing critters.

Here's a yearling Tiger from Victoria, Australia. His eyes look huge as he is growing into them!

Here's a beautiful female tiger from an Island population, her population is usually jet black or brown, so she is magnificent. So is her boy; but he didn't want to play today, but he puts her too shame colourwise! They're both so very rich golden coloured, with bright yellow lips and flanks, and charcoal faces and tails; Remind me of nice Inland Taipans!
This locality is listed as vunerable, as thanks to humans taking pleasure in killing them, along with predation, they're not doing so great.
She was SO heavy I had trouble picking her up to put away. She is also morbidly obese and needs a diet!
And yes she is sniffing my leg and camera strap! I soon moved her as this isn't a species you want mistaking you for food! Not a nice venom!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You keep venomous snakes? :jawdrop1: Way to scary for me. I might understand the draw of snakes of the nonvenomous type, but ones that can kill with a bite....Um no thanks!

I agree though they are gorgeous.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Wow! What a gorgeous snake!

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
You keep venomous snakes? :jawdrop1: Way to scary for me. I might understand the draw of snakes of the nonvenomous type, but ones that can kill with a bite....Um no thanks!

:wideyed: how venomous are we talking about?
on the plus side, very cool looking snakes

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Honestly,
all the non venomous native snakes here (we can only keep natives) get REALLY boring REALLY quickly. They literally just sit there, and poop, then sit there some more. Dont get me wrong, theyre beautiful, theyre lovable, but theyre almost a statue.
the vens are often day hunters vs nocturnal, and are on the move checking the enclosure out and everything that walks past too. Theyre like a peaceful fish tank to watch :) (theyre in locked enclosures in an otherwise empty locked room)

:wideyed: how venomous are we talking about?
on the plus side, very cool looking snakes

Probably not going to make you feel any better....but rest assured precautions are certainly taken.
tiger snake venoms and snakebites

Hopefully the big boy allows for photos tomorrow!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
:laugh: You can keep your 'peaceful fish tank' for of snakes!

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:laugh: You can keep your 'peaceful fish tank' for of snakes!

:hehe: I think snakes are something people wont change their mind about until spending time with some, like birds I suppose, you realize theyre not what movies make them :)

Thanks for thinking theyre pretty at least!
Im off to tempt the boy to come out but apparently he gets more defensive! Yay!

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
heres some less than amazing shots of "Grump!" he did not want to play. Giving me some world class hissing, so I left him be
Lighting sucks as he wouldn't move somewhere better

Lyzzi

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Lyzzi
Gorgeous snakes! I have always had a love/hate relationships with hots. So many gorgeous animals; but I know one day I'd just have an accident and WHAM. That'd be curtains for Lyzzi!

I'll just stick to my constrictors. :D

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Being a babe on the poolside! :lol:

Shivan

Walking the driveway
Nice pics! Love the bathing ones especially. I've had a few snakes as a teen and 20's, but just the local variety where I live. We don't have many ven species, those are beautiful however. :)