• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Normal first time molting age for a green cheek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carley

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Carley
So my Mango is a big boy and is molting. I found my first tail feather today!
But I thought it was a little early, he is almost 5 months old.

So either they molt earlier then I thought, or my breeder lied about his age. :(
I hope he did not lie about his age, because I like knowing my pets birthdays.

Anyways, I can not wait to see what he looks like with fresh feathers!

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
5 months was about the time Neelix started molting too, I don't think it's a sign his birthday was lied about though. Their first molt is around 6 months anyway.

sland165

Walking the driveway
We are coming up on 6 months for Snuggles, no signs of molting yet, but I will keep my eyes peeled!

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
Aristotle and Merlin began molting at about 5 months. It started with ta feathers :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It kind of depends, I think, on the seasons/ weather, feather condition, etc. Birds have an internal clock, and depending on when one was born, very well could mean that they will molt sooner than others :) right now lots of birds are molting, so it might just be that clock saying it's time :) I don't know when mine first molted as I didn't get her until 10 months and she started at about 12-13 while in my home.

Bobioden

Walking the driveway
Maxx also had his first molt at 5 months, and it was a LONG one.

Carley

Real Name
Carley
Ah okay guys, thank you.
Maybe I just have an early bloomer LOL.

My guy is right by the window gets sun everyday, so maybe that's moving it along faster.

crazyanimal

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
I think a good time line for the smaller conures for molting is between 5 months and a year... depending on each bird, their diet, environment and what not. I've had some that ranged within that time frame.

sland165

Walking the driveway
So me and snuggles were playing earlier, and I noticed a bunch of sheaths around his face and behind his neck. They were very long, and he let me break them open for him, and poof, bright green feathers popped out, funny part was he loved every minute of me doing it for him :)

Conmom

Real Name
Helen
I have two GCC's one is 14(pineapple) the other 13(standard). Jake, the pineapple, molted @ 2 months ago. Julian is molting as we speak. So I don't think there is any set time, each bird molts whenever they do. Hope this helps.

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
My three are molting currently. First molts are between 5-8 months, depending on hatch date in relation to summer months, diet and light exposure.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Bump

Seems silly to start a new thread, so thought I'd revive this one. Titus is 4 1/2 months and I've started finding not just floofies but lots of little little green and yellow chest and head feathers in his cage and around the place. Is he starting to molt early or is this something else? Also, I've noticed a stubby white feather at the base of his tail and a little white feather sprouting on his head. He seems to be scratching his head a lot but there is no sign of mites or anything like that, just a few pin feathers.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Bump

Seems silly to start a new thread, so thought I'd revive this one. Titus is 4 1/2 months and I've started finding not just floofies but lots of little little green and yellow chest and head feathers in his cage and around the place. Is he starting to molt early or is this something else? Also, I've noticed a stubby white feather at the base of his tail and a little white feather sprouting on his head. He seems to be scratching his head a lot but there is no sign of mites or anything like that, just a few pin feathers.
Sounds like he's just molting! As I said on the first page, Neelix started his first molt at around 5 months old.

eta: The white feather above his tail is his preening gland! When I first saw it I was distressed lol. Not sure about the one on his head though.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.