• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent non urgent-just got bird and her toes are falling off

scheri1254

Sitting on the front steps
I just got my four month old Crimson Bellied Conure and I was told she had a hurt foot but it was already healed. Well she has lost two of her toes and it looks like she is going to loose the other two. They are not swollen or red they just look thin then they fall off. She is acting normal eating and singing. I am wondering what a good and safe antiseptic I could put on her until I can get her in at the vets tomorrow

Latency

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ashley
I saw "non urgent" then I saw "toes are falling off" and I was really really confused :jawdrop1:
I agree with Suncoast, she needs to see a vet. Especially if she is acting normal, that is really odd. None of us can prescribe the medicine you might need for her. :(
I would take her to the vet and then take that vet record to the breeder or wherever you got her and complain. Did she have a health guarantee? That isn't right for ANYONE to sell a bird in that condition.
Hopefully you'll get it worked out. Best of luck.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'd also suggest contacting your breeder immediately about this problem. To me, and I'm by no means an expert or medically trained, it would mean that her toes were injured and possibly lost circulation to them, causing them to dry up and "fall off".

The latter part I have had happen to one of my birds but it was being seen by an avian vet at the time and being given medication for the injury. I'd agree with the recommendation to see a vet asap. :hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Praying for you little fid.

scheri1254

Well we are home. Jenny has her foot rapped and a collar on. She is also on antibiotics. Hopefully we can save what she has of her foot left. The vet said there was a good chance we will be able to save the rest of it. I am a little concerned with the collar. What if she doesn't drink because of it? I will watch her closely. Thanks for the help

Latency

Real Name
Ashley
Well it's nice that it is mostly good news! :) Do you plan on taking any action with the breeder/person you purchased her from?
Did he say what was causing the toes to fall off? I assume since he gave her antibiotics, there's some sort of infection, or just to prevent infection?
Many birds wear collars for different reasons, and many do fine with the collar. I'm sure she'll eat and drink, just keep an eye on her, I'm sure the vet visit was quite startling!
May she recover quickly and without trouble. :heart: :hug8:

Edit: If she likes apples, those are good to eat, and they'll do good at keeping her hydrated! Or mix some 100% apple juice with water if she likes that. :) My conures like diluted chamomile tea.

scheri1254

yes it was I did write the breeder I got her from and she is not answering her phone. She told me her foot got caught in the door and they had to cut her ring off. She told me she was healed when I picked her up. Well she is safe now away from her. Jenny and I go back to the vet on Monday or before if she takes off her bandage which she is already trying to do.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about Jenny and hope that all will be well with her. I would not let up on that breeder if I were you. In fact you should email a copy of the vet report to her along with the bill.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@scheri1254 While I'm sad :( about what happened to you and Jenny, I am relieved to know you took Jenny to a vet and she is being treated. Collars usually don't stop a bird from drinking or eating unless they are very very depressed but it might help stop Jenny from picking at the bandage (ha-ha). Anyone else here can tell you that birds will try everything to pick/chew off bandages. The meds should help her feel better though. :dance4: :dance4:

As iamwhoiam said, keep calling/emailing the breeder. Did you get a sales receipt with any type of health guarantee from the breeder who sold you Jenny? If so and depending on the time frame, you might be able to get some money for the vet expenses back. o_O I would not hold my breath over it or depend on it but it sometimes does happen.

And for you - remember to breathe. ;) Our fids (feathered kids) give us gray hair and ruin our nerves - welcome to parronthood 101 and AA! :greet7: From the crazy bird mom of a mixed flock of fids. :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Her toes that fell off were most likely gangrene. The antibiotics are for preservation of what she has left. Is this breeder in Pensylvania? A friend of mine took in a similar injured baby bird. This bird has a stub instead of a foot now. Breeder never took this bird to the vet.

Latency

Real Name
Ashley
Wow, I'm only an hour away from there. (Benbrook and Denton. Maybe 1 1/2 hours) if there's anything I can do to help feel free to PM me. Maybe I can try to contact her for you, not sure. But if she replies to me before you that could be an indicator she is definitely avoiding you.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Thank you for getting her to the vet. That is abuse, plain and simple. Shame on that breeder.