• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

No more scritches???

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Sooooo Iggy won't let me give him head scritches anymore. This has been going on for a couple of weeks. I don't know what happened. All of a sudden he just does not want to be pet anymore. He tries to bite when I try and pet him. =/ Did I break trust some how some where?! =(

He's stepping up for me some times (still needs more training) but not taking scritches!! Treats, yes. Scritches, No.

What shall I do? What happened??

Nargle

Walking the driveway
Skittles is really finicky about scritches. He'll only let me scratch his head when he wants it, otherwise he'll run away or scream and bite. He actually prefers when I pet his body over petting his head, though I limit that kind of petting. I just offer him my finger or hand and wait for him to come around and eventually he'll let me pet him when he's ready. I just can't be too pushy with him, I have to respect his boundaries.

Erin1979

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Erin
Not all birds like it and I've found that some grow out of it as they get older and mature. He just be one of the ones that don't care for it as much as he used to.
Besides the parrotlets, the only one that cares for it is Sunny and I actually ask him for his permission first. If he doesn't want to be petted, he will move away and if he agrees, he will bow his head down to me. They have certain boundaries and I don't believe in forcing things like that.

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
My birds only let me scritch them when they want to. I use a hand signal to ask permission and if they want scritches they bow their little heads. :)

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
yes it just sounds like he's not a baby any more. not all birds want to cuddle 24/7 that is the reality. i'm sorry it's happened, but work on building trust and your step ups, he will want head scratches eventually on his own terms. my bronze wing loki will come put his head into my hand when he wants head scratches, but if he doesn't want them, watch out!! :eek:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Simba loves scritches more then anything. but every once in awhile normally when he has new pins coming in,he wont want me to touch him at all.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Oh my, I never knew that they grew out of some thing like that! hmm good to know. Well I am respectful of him and if he yells or tries to bite me then I leave the head scratching alone. lol He definitely doesn't like his body being touched. Heck, I don't think he likes to be touched at all. He likes to be on me and stuff but not being touched. When we have step - up down and he knows it well then he will be allowed to be on me more but for now he only gets limited time on me since it's really hard to get him down. I guess he's just one of those birds that doesn't really like to be touched huh?

HungryBird

Rollerblading along the road
How old is Iggy now? Malachite loves it when I pet his head but he is still young. I hope he doesn't change his mind. I love petting his head. Does Iggy let you pet other places like his feet? Will he let you touch his beak?

Status
Not open for further replies.