• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

No More Penny :(

SuzySmith76

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzy Smith
Well I no longer have Penny, after 14 months of owning her and taming her the way we were both happy, she had escaped by a door being left open. # weeks prior to this, we were given a 2.5 year old Male Cockatiel names Jinxie. After a few birdie dates the birds got on so well, Jinxie made a smooth transition to our crazy family life.

When Penny escaped we put her cage outside, but it began to get dark and cold, and not a week later, I feel in my heart that she has gone, it's winter here in New Zealand, so birds who are use to being indoors have no chance of survival. i have put up posts on Facebook etc but no sightings of our Penny.

But we are enjoying having Jinxie with us, I'm not sure if I want to replace Penny just yet.

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
Aw. No bird will ever replace Penny.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Don't give up.........it's early yet, someone could have already rescued Penny and is wanting to get her back to her real owner. Put flyers up in the neighborhood on bulletin boards in grocery stores, put them up around local schools AND do social media. Fingers crossed..........so sorry you have to go through this.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
:sadhug2:
I'm so sorry. ... I hope she finds a way home to you

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I'm sorry she escaped and you might be right but never give up as she may have went to somebody or got found right away. I lost Lurch a year ago and still update his Craigslist lost ad every week just in case someone has him and finally realizes that he may have a family that he and they miss. I was just sent a message about a lady buying a starving Parrot that looks almost just like him. I don't think it's him because it's supposedly a female and the beak and eyes aren't a exact match but who knows. I sent the vet a message describing him and we'll see if they respond.
Hoping she turns up and has a new friend to hang out with. Sounds like your new male needed a loving home so either way it was meant to be. I was given Dobby by Momazon here after she was making sure I was ok and her life took a turn and she couldn't keep Dobby but she knew I would make a good dad after what Lurch and I went through to finally being friends. He fits in great and loves my sister and we hate having a quiet house with no fid around.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I'm so sorry Penny got out!
:sadhug2:
Don't give up, you never know if someone will still find her and help her to get home.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry. Don't give up hope. Keep looking for her, talk to neighbors and hand out flyers.

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Keep putting out fliers..hand them out to neighbors if you can
Give them to schools, starbucks, pizza places, vets, shelters/rescues/sanctuaries, the mail carrier, schoolbus drivers, grocery stores, anywhere that will take your flier.
Post on your city's FB page and surrounding if needed. Join lost/found or pet centered groups and post a missing ad there too.
Keep an eye on Craigslist (For Sale, Pets, Lost & Found) as someone may find and put the bird there. They might mistake your bird for a parakeet, so always check in to make sure.
Or someone may try to sell her. I had run into an ad with a very, very identical tiel (but now seeing him in person, darker beak, black nails, baby down ect) it wasnt my bird.
Try to put up fliers everywhere possible (Mail box or door to door, giving people one) and see if someone can help you put them out further.
I've seen many reunited bird stories, who had flown even 35 miles from home or just 4 blocks away. Sadly I wasnt aware of the possibility of her getting 25 miles away with simply a few days..
Pepper could be anywhere.

Put ads out on birdhotline, 911 Parrot Alert, My Lost Pet Alert, any lost/found pet sites.

Good luck. My Pepper is still missing to this day and I understand your heartache. I feel horrible every time a storm breaks, or when it gets very cold, heavily rains and all just thinking about Pepper.
We did get some unsure sightings reported after it snowed here.. there is the chance she survived the snow and is still out there.
There was a 'tiel who supposedly survived 5 months of cold, winter weather in Britain only 4 miles from home.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry. I hope you find her.

JCG351

Meeting neighbors
As others have said don't give up. I lost mi pajarito as well from a friend leaving one of the feeding doors slightly ajar and since my birdies are wild one very slyly pushed it up and escaped. My whole family pretty much accepted her death because they followed her up until crows started going after her after a while they found her feathers scattered on the floor with blood. Well in that situation one would guess she was forever lost and I don't blame them for thinking so. Well, me being stubborn refused to accept it without proof. After a few days, me liking drawing, influenced me to draw her as a tribute..leading me into posting about her almost everywhere...with no luck, I started looking up reference photos and somehow ended up where I feel like I should have started....at the local animal shelter page. At the time we wanted to adopt so I pretty much looked at the page daily, well to my content they had her there. Don't give up looking for your birdie, ours survived by flying into an open house, Penny could have done the same. Wish you the best of luck, shared my story to show there is still a possibility, as birds are quite resourceful.

SuzySmith76

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Suzy Smith
Naww Thanks you all so much for your kind words and wisdom, in my heart i'll never give up, a lot of people here have plastered her photo everywhere, there's been alot of birds here in Kaiapoi NZ that have gone missing and a few of them were cockatiels, I viewed a few that were found but unfortunately they were'nt Penny. But have offered to give them a forever loving home if their owners were not found.

Jinxie however has settled into our crazy life and absolutely loves my husband, bonded with him straight away, i'll eventually get another bird, but not an aviary bird, as Penny has a special place in my heart she was one of a kind aviary bird that i tamed to be loving, gentle and quiet.

I'm looking into getting a Indian Ringneck? do they go well with cockatiels? any advice will be greatly appreciated.