• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nika has a grudge?

SgtNikola

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Finn
I've been socializing Nika since I got her, she's good with my friends, loves my best friend and his tiel (Newt), and is starting to get on better footing with my parents. My brother has never shown much interest in her (he's actually a little afraid of her), but is usually around when I have her downstairs in the evening. They get along fine, she won't step up for him, but will allow him to give her treats (if he tries anything else he gets a warning nip). Lately, his girlfriend (Y) has been hanging out at our house a lot. Which, should theoretically be fine, right?

Wrong! Nika has been going out of her way to have a go at her all week! I've tried asking Y to change her shirt (she's fond of tie dye - I've heard that's confusing for parrots), no effect. We tried having her come in with her glasses on/off, left her purse in another room, nothing. Nika will be sitting perfectly calm on my shoulder/lap, or playing on her downstairs cage and will climb/run/glide across the room screaming bloody murder trying to bite her. Y already isn't a big fan of birds, so naturally seeing my 'attack' parrot coming for blood freaks her out. Thankfully, she's been flinching mostly, I'm worried that she'll try to swat Nika and I don't want her to get hurt.

I've never seen Nika go out of her way to draw blood before, a few months ago my dad goaded her enough to draw blood, but that was him poking his fingers in at her for a few days before she snapped. Now that I've been training him awhile, they have a truce and she's fine with him in the room. Y has never really interacted with Nika before, because she's uncomfortable when birds fly. My brother decided she couldn't avoid Nika (and I) forever, and now this... I'm at a loss, is there anything I can try before I just stick her in a cage every time Y is around? Is there anything other than clothes that could be setting Nika off?

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Oh wow! Sorry this is happening. My 1st thought is maybe she reminds Nika of someone from her past? You said she was surrendered to a store before you got her so you really don’t know much about her past. If this is the case, I really don’t know what you can do. Short of giving it time and having the girlfriend be extra careful and calm/relaxed around Nika. But the way she feels about birds, I’m unsure that will happen.
That being said, I don’t trust people who “don’t like” birbs. How serious is your brother about this girl? ;)

It could just be Nika sensing the girl doesn’t like her too. We all know how our birbs can sense feelings and emotions.

I’d hate for Nika to suffer and have her routine changed because of this. How long until you leave for college? Maybe the next few weeks your brother and the gf can hangout in a different room?

SgtNikola

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Finn
Short of giving it time and having the girlfriend be extra careful and calm/relaxed around Nika. But the way she feels about birds, I’m unsure that will happen.
I thought Y looked pretty alright the first time she walked in while Nika was out, she was side-eyeing her, but seemed outwardly calm until Nika went on the warpath. It's a little worrying watching my sweet little bird go on attack. It's like she's the same old sassy, goober I've always known and then she sees Y in the room and goes from Dr Jekyll to Mr Hyde.It's like someone flips a switch in her head, Y comes in the room - attack bird, Y leaves the room - 5 minutes later she's back to normal.
That being said, I don’t trust people who “don’t like” birbs. How serious is your brother about this girl? ;)

It could just be Nika sensing the girl doesn’t like her too. We all know how our birbs can sense feelings and emotions.
They seem pretty serious about each other, talk of moving in together in a few years abounds. I don't know really what to make of her, generally if Sarge likes you, I think you can't be all bad. If Nika doesn't like you, she's just being herself. But we have three rescue dogs in the house, and none of them trust her. Sarge actively avoids her, and the other two just back away when she tries to pet them. I don't know, maybe she just puts off 'anti-animal' vibes??
We're moving into the apartment in the beginning of September, when exactly depends on my roomies. We can try asking them to sit else where... I can just imagine how thrilled Y will be with that arrangement..

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt seems to be the most uncomfortable around new people if they are uncomfortable being around him......I think animals pick up on more than we do. There are also people Burt knows very very well who have been around him regularly since he came home with me but they are very intimidated/afraid of him and he is always on edge when they are near him whether he is in his cage or out. I watch him extra carefully and remove him or them from the situation if needed. I would never forgive myself if I tried to push the relationship between them to be better and someone got hurt........we do not always click with everyone so I figure better safe than sorry. My dog is fine with the same people Burt is not ok with and sometimes Burt is ok with people who my dog is not happy about, we are all individuals who put off different energy and confidence levels and I think that often animals get mixed signals from people.

Is Y totally comfortable and confident being around your family and unrestrained animals? If she is a little uncomfortable then this may add to the weird vibes your animals may be feeling and reacting upon. The other thing I am wondering is if maybe your bird is jealous of your brothers new friend?

I hope you can work something out, it is rather awkward when one of your pets (or all in your case) could be a threat to the safety of your friends/visitors.......we have friends who I just keep my pets away from for everyones safety and comfort.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
The 3 dogs don’t like her either, then she’s definitely putting off anti-animal vibes. They can pickup on that for sure.

This is a tough one, short of just keeping them separate, I don’t know what else to do. And like you said, Y and your brother wouldn’t be happy to be told they can’t hangout in his house, and Nika shouldn’t be kept from her normal routine in her house.
It’s only been happening for a week though, so if Y was willing to put in some effort it could get better. Doesn’t sound like she’d be interested in that though. Also, like @Shezbug said it’s best to not push these situations esp when someone is so obviously uncomfortable with animals.

I just realized I’ve typed a bunch of words, with no good advice for you. So sorry, wish I had an answer :(

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm at a loss, is there anything I can try before I just stick her in a cage every time Y is around?
Actually, that's exactly what you should do!!! Have Nika in her cage with some treat cups set up at the front of the cage. You can set up "treat stations" 5-10' away from the cage on either side. Then, whenever Y walks by the cage, you can have her pick up said treat, walk by cage (while ignoring Nika), drop treat into said cup, and keep on going. This will at least help to teach Nika to associate good things with Y. You don't want to give Nika the chance to bite Y, so this helps in that respect, too!

Is there anything other than clothes that could be setting Nika off?
Nail polish? Make up? Shoes? Hair?

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Actually, that's exactly what you should do!!! Have Nika in her cage with some treat cups set up at the front of the cage. You can set up "treat stations" 5-10' away from the cage on either side. Then, whenever Y walks by the cage, you can have her pick up said treat, walk by cage (while ignoring Nika), drop treat into said cup, and keep on going. This will at least help to teach Nika to associate good things with Y. You don't want to give Nika the chance to bite Y, so this helps in that respect, too!

Nail polish? Make up? Shoes? Hair?
I’m so glad someone with more experience has some good advice for you!! That sounds like a great plan to me :)

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I find it very hard to get along with people who aren’t fans of animals. I try so hard but I just can’t help it I just gain an immediate dislike that can’t be shaken. :lol: I also don’t like the personality that tends to go with those people :cautious:.

Maybe Nika is the same?

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I find it very hard to get along with people who aren’t fans of animals. I try so hard but I just can’t help it I just gain an immediate dislike that can’t be shaken. :lol: I also don’t like the personality that tends to go with those people :cautious:.

Maybe Nika is the same?
I agree! I find animal lovers to be more compassionate in general. I actually much prefer animals to people in most cases ;)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Has Y tried wearing shades around her? She can pretend as much as she wants that she likes Nika, but the eyes will always give her away.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I agree! I find animal lovers to be more compassionate in general. I actually much prefer animals to people in most cases ;)
I agree 1000% animals are so much more agreeable than humans. Although you guys aren’t to bad! ;):lol: