• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Night temp/ cage cover question setup for my molting macaw

Dinochicky

Moving in
Real Name
Kieran Varela
I have a newly adopted B&G macaw who started a molt shortly after coming home to me. The poor girl really is going through it. Initially I was covering her entirely at night but she seemed more fearful of that, and less fearful of being half covered as I have her now, in the pic below. Is this ok? I’m so worried she gets cold. We have our AC at 75F and we are in South Florida. Thanks!

Attachments

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Welcome to the Avenue!! :birdance:
Make sure that she isn't in a draft (good windows, not by a vent) and I think this setup will be fine. They can adjust to people temperatures as long as it's not a huge change. I don't have my birds next to a window because they startle easily. How long have you had her?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It can get chilly if they are under a vent , or if your windows let in a chill. My windows sure do! I always Viber the back when we get chilly weather at night. One of my cages is by a vent, but I have acrylic on top so stops that draft .

Some birds like to be covered some dont. Let her guide you

Edit! Ha @CrazyKozmo we say same stuff!

Also is it molt , or feather destruction? Any bare patches ?

Dinochicky

Moving in
Real Name
Kieran Varela
Welcome to the Avenue!! :birdance:
Make sure that she isn't in a draft (good windows, not by a vent) and I think this setup will be fine. They can adjust to people temperatures as long as it's not a huge change. I don't have my birds next to a window because they startle easily. How long have you had her?
Thanks so much! It’s been three weeks since we brought her home. Hard to tell from the pic but I adjusted the cage after some previous advice here, so it has 50/ 50 wall window. She does seem to enjoy looking out the window and I know that’s what she was used to at the rescue. This molt is making it even harder to tell how she is settling in because she seems so uncomfortable. I have a humidifier going and mist her although I’m not sure she enjoys it, and I’m hoping that is not eroding a chance of building trust? Anyway thank you for replying

Dinochicky

Moving in
Real Name
Kieran Varela
It can get chilly if they are under a vent , or if your windows let in a chill. My windows sure do! I always Viber the back when we get chilly weather at night. One of my cages is by a vent, but I have acrylic on top so stops that draft .

Some birds like to be covered some dont. Let her guide you

Edit! Ha @CrazyKozmo we say same stuff!

Also is it molt , or feather destruction? Any bare patches ?
Thank you so much for replying I appreciate your help! I think it’s molting because the feathers are totally intact/ flawless and there is no blood in the quill or evidence of chewing. No bare patches on her and she has sooo many pin feathers on the back of her head and neck especially. Her wing and tail feathers are in a very ruffled, messy condition from a life on a seed diet, which I’m very slowly correcting with the use of added supplements. As I said in my other reply I’m using a humidifier and misting her, not sure she likes the latter. Do you think it could erode my building trust with her to continue to try mist if she seems unhappy with it? We have AC so I know the air is drier. Apart from getting a nut from my hand she really just seems to want to be left alone. Thank you!!

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd suggest, if possible, give her a bath. Set her in the tub, use a handheld shower head set on gentle. Give her a good rinse including under wings, under tail, over back, head, face, chest. Whole body should be wet. Then let the shower head hang down. I point mine to the side of the tub, so bird can run in & out if it chooses. Act silly, sing, talk, slap the water & laugh. Make a game of it. Macaws usually love to shower & it will help with the molt.

My previous macaw, also from a bad home, was filthy when I got her. I had no choice but to stick her in the tub minutes after I got home with her. She not only looked bad she stunk like an old wet dog that had been living on the street. At first she wasn't happy, but once she had a good soaking she screamed in delight. After that she'd play peek-a-boo with the shower curtains, run in/out of the water, laugh, flap & get me all wet.

My current macaw loves showers & the goofy bird will actually lay on her back in the tub. She flaps, screams & has a ball getting her & me soaked.

Dinochicky

Moving in
Real Name
Kieran Varela
I would love to but she won’t step up yet. She lunges at me so I’ve totally backed off until I see her relax. I would love nothing more than to have her out with me in the garden, couch, shower etc. I can’t wait to win her trust so I can make her life so much better

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Put a large animal feed tub, a large casserole dish might work , they will bathe in sn inch or two of water in Bottom of cage . Dpadj around in it with hand, have a faucet or fountain running, the sound of running/ splashing water is a real trigger for bathing. And then to one side of her let her move into it , spritz water up and ket it fall back down. You can try over her but spray way up let must fall back down

Dinochicky

Moving in
Real Name
Kieran Varela
Put a large animal feed tub, a large casserole dish might work , they will bathe in sn inch or two of water in Bottom of cage . Dpadj around in it with hand, have a faucet or fountain running, the sound of running/ splashing water is a real trigger for bathing. And then to one side of her let her move into it , spritz water up and ket it fall back down. You can try over her but spray way up let must fall back down