• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nickel plated chain?

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry if this is common knowledge.

Are parrot toys hung with nickel plated chain (compared to stainless steel) safe for our birds? I am concerned about lead poisoning.

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Parrot toys should be stainless steel I thought.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Parrot toys should be stainless steel I thought.
I thought the same. But the little $5-7 toys we see couldn't possible have a SS chain, right? :confused: I'm confused :blink:

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
nickel plated is safe. it's galvanized/zinc-plated which is more common and toxic.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm the worry wart. Right @JLcribber ???

I have some toys I bought that I forgot to ask if the leather was the right type. .....so I'm going to rethread the blocks on leather I know is safe.

Love my zon's. ..

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A lot of them are nickel-plated, which I really dislike. I worry, too, and it's one of the reasons my preference for toys made of natural materials gets stronger every day.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Nickel plating is safe, though I'd opt for stainless for beaky birds or toy abusers :)

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nickel plating is safe, though I'd opt for stainless for beaky birds or toy abusers :)
Now saying this makes me go :omg: Can you say what'll happen if they abuse the nickel plating?

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Now saying this makes me go :omg: Can you say what'll happen if they abuse the nickel plating?
I would be concerned about the plating wearing off, which could lead to rust, or at very worst ingestion of the plating. I think it would have to take a lot of abuse to get to that point. No more of a danger than powder coated cages IMO.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would be concerned about the plating wearing off, which could lead to rust, or at very worst ingestion of the plating. I think it would have to take a lot of abuse to get to that point. No more of a danger than powder coated cages IMO.
Thanks for your response. So your saying it would take Much time and abuse and water if we are talking rust.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Thanks for your response. So your saying it would take Much time and abuse and water if we are talking rust.
Yeah. You'd definitely notice degradation of the finish before that point. I have a few nickel plated washers and wingnuts on my perches, as well as nickel plated chain hanging the branch above the tiels' cage.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've found that washing then makes them rust pretty fast (sometimes right after washing). Sometimes when they come, before I do anything, they're already rusting. So all the assurances in the world from other people about how safe they are don't reassure me. :(

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I've found that washing then makes them rust pretty fast (sometimes right after washing). Sometimes when they come, before I do anything, they're already rusting. So all the assurances in the world from other people about how safe they are don't reassure me. :(
Depends a lot on the quality and thickness of the finish. Underneath that plating is steel which rusts very easily.

If you're concerned just use SS. It's not worth losing sleep over.

CStone

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The liberty bells that are used on bird toys are also nickel plated. I've found that keeping them as dry as possible at all times preserves them fairly well. When I do notice any sign of rust or wear, I toss it and replace. I have a bag of bells in various sizes handy. I wouldn't bother replacing NP chain, though. I would use plastic chain or SS if it was a toy that is meant to be a forever toy.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Depends a lot on the quality and thickness of the finish. Underneath that plating is steel which rusts very easily.

If you're concerned just use SS. It's not worth losing sleep over.
Yes, that's what I've done, basically. I just wanted @Flipper to know. I think there are a lot of toys with very poor quality plating out there.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Yes, that's what I've done, basically. I just wanted @Flipper to know. I think there are a lot of toys with very poor quality plating out there.
Definitely. You always have to be careful though, even that Caitec foraging cage which is advertised as stainless was actually chrome plated. My metal containing toys (that will be used/beaked often) are from Avian Stainless whom I know I can trust.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks everyone! You have been so helpful!

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
The liberty bells that are used on bird toys are also nickel plated. I've found that keeping them as dry as possible at all times preserves them fairly well. When I do notice any sign of rust or wear, I toss it and replace. I have a bag of bells in various sizes handy. I wouldn't bother replacing NP chain, though. I would use plastic chain or SS if it was a toy that is meant to be a forever toy.
Another great option is the Stainless Steel Skewers.