• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nice to meet you all! From a shocked small flock owner!

Swifty

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Hello All!

So nice to meet you all. I’ve been a long time lurker of the forum but thought I’d make an account as looking to get some advice!

After researching for quite some time I decided that parrotlets seemed like the bird for me! They sounded like the perfect little characters and I really wanted to develop a bond with a bird and work on training etc.

I decided to provide a new place to land for a rehomed parrotlet, and came across a pair in my local area. The original plan was for just a solo bird but I really liked the idea of giving them both a second chance, and the pictures of their current set up broke my heart. Both in a small budgie cage.

They are in flight cage together now as they seem to be bonded and lived together for years but prepared for if this changes.

Of course in my excitement with new parrotlets I spoke about them non stop to everyone and one of my friends told me about their families budgies who were looking for a new home. Cue me offering to take them in after seeing other pictures of small cages, picked them up and was in a rusty dirty cage held together by string, one has plucked all his flight feathers out. They are now in their own flight cage.

And today I returned home to a lovebird on my front doorstep in a small dirty cage. Who knows where from and at this point I’m panicking a bit. I’m questioning who I would talk to or know who would leave a poor bird like this and I feel a bit over my head and outnumbered by birds.

First off, I’ve made clear to everyone I can think by group message no more birds. Im a sucker but I can’t save them all and I can’t have this happening again.

could I ask

would it ever be possible for parrotlets, budgies and lovebirds to have out the cage time together supervised?

I feel like I’ve compromised my parrotlets relationship with having other birds in the house. Is it unlikely they will be as tame? I was taking it at their pace because of their past. They are both males, no babies possible!

I have small breed dogs, not hunting breeds, would they be alright to be in the same room as the dogs while they were having cage time? They do not jump up at cages but sometimes one does bark as he’s going deaf. At the other dogs not at the birds.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed and sad atm, I had a plan set in my head with the budgies but reading about lovebirds being aggressive to other birds has made me panic about three separate out of cage times, plus fitting in dogs.

i do work from home full time though so least I’m working with more hours in the day!

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:
That's quite the story! I am unsure if there's any member here who owns all three of those species...
@Zara has lovebirds, @fashionfobie has parrotlets @TikiMyn has lovebirds and budgies.
Hopefully they can help you out :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree that you should make it clear you are at your limit. We can only ever take on as many as we can handle otherwise we could compromise medical care/food/ etc. Good job putting your foot down.

A small dog can easily kill any small bird, even if they are non hunting. You can manage them in the same home, but you must always assume the worst will happen and plan accordingly.

I believe you can have all birds out for supervised play. So long as you have multiple play stands, feed dishes, and waters. Adjusted birds will remove themselves for situations they don't want to be in. Space and choice are the most important things. I would wait until you have properly quarantined the birds before they interact. Keep in mind that all 3 of the species you mentioned are native to different continents. Parrotlets -S.America, lovebirds- Africa, Budgies- Australia. They may not always understand each others' body language, but so long as they can fly away it should work. Note that parrotlets can be very aggressive of their perceived nest territory so I may allow common play in a different space than their cages if possible.

I hope this response helps. Welcome to the forum!

Swifty

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
I agree that you should make it clear you are at your limit. We can only ever take on as many as we can handle otherwise we could compromise medical care/food/ etc. Good job putting your foot down.

A small dog can easily kill any small bird, even if they are non hunting. You can manage them in the same home, but you must always assume the worst will happen and plan accordingly.

I believe you can have all birds out for supervised play. So long as you have multiple play stands, feed dishes, and waters. Adjusted birds will remove themselves for situations they don't want to be in. Space and choice are the most important things. I would wait until you have properly quarantined the birds before they interact. Keep in mind that all 3 of the species you mentioned are native to different continents. Parrotlets -S.America, lovebirds- Africa, Budgies- Australia. They may not always understand each others' body language, but so long as they can fly away it should work. Note that parrotlets can be very aggressive of their perceived nest territory so I may allow common play in a different space than their cages if possible.

I hope this response helps. Welcome to the forum!
hello! Thank you for your message! It does help a lot!

I really have put my foot down. Unfortunately it’s happened in the past, partners family has a habit of unloading or trying to unload animals they have grown bored of over the years, and after finding that lovebird today I just can’t anymore. I’m not the type to let an animal want for nothing and the rabbits, Guinea pigs, hamsters etcover the years must have cost thousands. I finally (though I loved them all lots) was down to just my pups and thought I could choose a pet of my own!

I’ll admit this evening I was having thoughts of finding a new home for the Lovie but I am sure I can provide a better life for him than most could. No more though.

Sorry I would never allow my dogs to go near the birds out of the cage as I completely agree it’s not worth the risk, but while the birds are safely in their cages would that be alright? Or would that stress them out too much?

That sounds really promising for after quarantine period. Makes me feel a bit more relaxed. Thank you for the info on the continents that’s really interesting and will do more research on that!

I’ll make sure to keep the parrotlets cage safe for them and away from others to make sure they don’t have to defend.

Thank you so much you’re amazing honestly

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Swifty there is no easy answer on dog/bird homes. You need to be the judge. You know your dog best and are the one who can observe how your birds react. Some birds will always be fearful of dogs in a severe way, others may tolerate some walking about. There are people on this forum who never allow their dogs even in the same room as their birds. There are others who allow their dogs out when the birds are caged.

I personally allow my dog around my birds cages, but not after the sun goes down. I also never allow my dog near their cages if I'm not home. I have a bird room so I close the door and allow the birds to have a peaceful sleep without a pup snooping about.

Keep in mind that dog bacteria is dangerous to birds. So if your dog licks or chews a bird toy it will need to be sanitised with F10 or possibly thrown out depending on the type of toy etc. Also be careful about what kind of chew toys you bring into your house for the birds. Some bird safe woods aren't safe for dogs. Yucca plants for example are rather dangerous for dogs, but common in bird toys.

You need to become a cross-species mediator :)

Trishy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tricia
Hello,
Lovebirds are such beautiful, loving birds to have. Happy and content in their own cage, and enjoy having toys to play with. Thank you for deciding to love and care for this bird xxx

Swifty

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Hello,
Lovebirds are such beautiful, loving birds to have. Happy and content in their own cage, and enjoy having toys to play with. Thank you for deciding to love and care for this bird xxx
he (assuming atm) seems to be a right character! Straight over to me and my partner and tried regurgitation for him which I distracted with a toy. I will get him checkedout at the vet in the week but apart from being very much louder than the parrotlets and budgies Idon’t know why he would lose a home. Strong bite, doesn’t like hands, but nothing a bit of work and a lot of time will hopefully get over

I will try to give them all the best life possible

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome! :hello1:

I went through this too lmao. I got a cockatiel, and all of a sudden I ended up with a kakariki and two quakers (who were all rehomed, I was just a pausing point for a time for them), and recently a sun and jenday conure pair (also rehomed, after a starting to rehab them a bit).

I think it happens with a lot of species. People hear you're an animal person, and all of a sudden you're taking in everything. The hardest thing to learn is saying no!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to Avian Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Gosh, I think you need a sign or a camera over your door, or something. Crazy folks will abandon their pets without even asking if you are able to care for them.
Remember, you don't have to keep these animals that get thrust onto you. You can take them to a shelter or put an ad out and try rehoming them. You have to put yourself first.

I used to have my dog in the same room as the birds once they were caged, the door to the hallway would be open so he was free to leave if it geto noisy. He was never left alone in the same room with the closed cages. If we went out, we'd put him in the hallway.
I have lovebirds and my birds are pretty hardy, not skittish at all, and were not phased at all by the dog. Most grew up around him.
As said above, you will have to try it out and see how it goes. Maybe take him in on a lead or harness to avoid lunging towards cages the first time?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
There’s nothing wrong with turning over the lovebird to a local rescue if that’s what’s best for you and the other birds.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
This is a most shocking situation! I’m sorry someone did this to you. It was wrong & placed the lovebird in peril, if only temporarily. Have they no conscience?!

Swifty

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Thank you everyone for your help and advice!

im in much less of a panic now and feel better about the situation and have come up with a plan for the upcoming months with all of your wonderful help and advice!

the Birds have an aviary for more space in progress which I started today so that’s exciting.

the lovie will bedefinitely staying with us. He’s flown into our hearts at rapid speed.

the budgies and lovebird Will also be seeing the vetthis week too (parrotlets visited last monthjustafter they came home with us)

I’m excited to take on the challenge, work at their pace and get tounderstand and cohabit with these beautiful creatures!

and the dogs have had some other room new toys to keep them entertained safely in the other room for now away from them!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!