• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newest batch of chop'n'freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
I just made a new batch of chop'n'freeze today. I take pictures of every batch because it's always so pretteh! See?:

chopnfreeze013012.jpg

Anyway, all of the birds were cat-calling at the chop'n'freeze as I was making it, going, "Woo woo!", "Yummmm!", "Hey!", and making kissy noises and wolf whistles. Archie, having only been with me for two weeks, had not been here yet when I was making chop before. That didn't stop him from joining in the enthusiastic babbling. So I turned to him and said, "Archie, you don't know what this is! Why are you all excited about it?" He looked at me, looked at his bowl, then said, "Nomnomnomnomnom! Eeeeeeee!" Smart, cute, and a freaking great eater!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It looks great!

Matt

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Looks amazing...It looks like I'm going to have to get in on this chop business.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
yum! what all is in there? i have yet to make any chop, so i'm trying to gather ideas:D

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would like to know too. Looks great!

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Details and ingredients please!

copswife30

Real Name
Kathy
I agree don't just put us a picture on there and leave us hanging :hangin:we need the ingredients ;)

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
beautiful chop mix! I make one similar to this too.. :)

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Looks very nice!

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'd also love to hear what's in it! I'm always looking for new variations for the boys =)

brittneydee

Jogging around the block
Ok I've never seen or made anything like this. I'm jumping on the bandwagon and we're demanding more info! Puhleeeeease? :D

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
:lol: I'm happy to share the deets. Of course the ingredients vary based on what vegetables are seasonally available, but I do have a system. I actually recently sent it to Leza, so I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote to her:

"Vegetables (obviously): I don't know what resources you have available to you, but I volunteer at a local farm and in addition to my weekly box of organic veggies that I get through them (and whatever's growing in my own garden), they will donate some of the bruised veggies that are still edible but not sellable. This is a cheap way to get a wide variety of seasonal organic veggies. I always make sure that I buy a couple of sweet potatoes and some kind of squash in addition to whatever veggies I've already gotten.

Grains: I stay away from corn, wheat, soy, and most rices, and stick with whole oats or oat groats, barley, quinoa, amaranth, and wild rice, or any combination of the above. When I can find teff I get it, but in Austin it's hard to come by the whole grain vs. the flour.

Legumes: I use an organic 13 bean soup mix.

Sprouted seeds: For a long time I used the Dr. Bird mix from Sprout People (sproutpeople.org), but then I discovered that it's much cheaper to just go to my local organic grocery store and make my own seed mix.

Herbs: I order the following from Mountain Rose Herbs (mountainroseherbs.com): French Green Clay (better known as Montmorillonite), Acai, Anise Star Pods, Bee Pollen, Chamomile, Chia, Cinnamon, Cordyceps, Dandelion, Echinacea, Elderberry and Flower, Eucalyptus, Flax seed, Ginger Root, Goji Berry, Hibiscus, Honeysuckle, Hyssop, Lavender Flowers, Milk Thistle, Red Clover, Rosehips, Spearmint, St. John's Wort, Turmeric, and occasionally I'll throw some other goodies into the order as well. The above are just the things I buy regularly. When I get in my herb order, I dump them all out into an unused tray from the top of the macaw cage, mix them thoroughly, the re-bag them. One order will last me a whole year.

Supplements: Red Palm Oil and Coconut Creme Concentrate from Tropical Traditions (organic, fair trade, sustainably grown and ethically farmed), Grapefruit Seed Extract

Instructions

You will need a very large mixing container. I use the top tray from my macaw cage (I don't like having those trays on the cages anyway because they block too much light), but I have friends who line their bathtub with saran wrap and mix it in their tub, and other friends who bought a trough from a feed store and use that.

Day One: Start sprouting 1 Cup of the seed mix
Day Two: Continue caring for the sprouts
Day Three: Continue sprouting and soak 1 Cup of the bean mix
Day Four: Cook the beans until soft. Cook 1 Cup of each of the grains. Cook the sweet potatoes and squash. Chop all your veggies (I generally have 10 - 15 lbs of veggies, which means that the ratio of veggies to other foods varies, but that's ok since it would also vary seasonally in the wild). Chop up your cooked sweet potatoes and squash. Combine the veggies, grains, legumes, and sprouts. Add 8 - 10 Cups of herb mix, depending on how many veggies you have. Melt 1/4 Cup each of the Red Palm Oil and the Coconut Cream Concentrate, then drizzle it into the mix. Add 40 drops of GSE (Yes, that's right, 40 drops. You will have about 20 pounds of food, so it breaks down to about 2 drops per lb). Mix the whole shebang thoroughly, then pack into containers or baggies that are small enough for you to use the entire contents of each one in 3 days or less. Toss 'em in the freezer and you're set for a good long while. You just let a container thaw in the fridge for a day or two before you're ready to serve it, then spoon it out into their bowls. Easy peasy.

Things to consider:

* Buying all the ingredients up front can be pretty costly (If you buy veggies instead of volunteering for them or growing them yourself, they tend to cost an average of $70. The grains and legumes total no more than $20. The sprout mix can cost $10/lb or thereabouts. The herbs cost $150 or so, but that's for a whole year's supply. And the RPO and CCC from Tropical Traditions are about $50, but again they will last you for a year or more.), so to defray the cost, I will sometimes go in with a friend or a few friends to buy and make chop'n'freeze together. Plus, socializing while doing it is really fun. But even if you did it all yourself, it breaks down to about $7/lb, which really isn't that expensive. It just seems like a lot to pay all at once.

* The whole procedure of cooking, chopping, and packaging it up takes an average of 6 hours, so make sure you set enough time aside to do it.

* Depending on how many birds you have and how much they eat, you might need to either go in with friends or sell part of it to other bird owners, because I've noticed that after 3 months or so it starts to get freezerburn, so you really want to make sure that yourfids can finish it in under 3 months. I have 6 fids who eat chop'n'freeze as the majority of their diet, and the whole batch lasts me about 2 months.

Ok, I think that's it. Let me know if you have any further questions about it!"

For this particular batch, the veggies include: fennel, arugula, radishes and radish tops, spinach, chard, kale, carrots and carrot tops, green beans, celery, broccoli, brussels sprouts, baby bok choi, beets and beet tops, tomatillos, red, orange, yellow, and green bell peppers, jalapenos, thai chili peppers, sweet potatoes, butternut squash... I think that's it, but I might have forgotten something.

I feel I should mention that the birds get this and only this in their bowls. I hang any fresh fruits I give them in their cage as it would be in a tree, and all their dried goods (which includes Harrison's, TOPS, Phoenix Foraging's UnPellet mix, as well as an organic seed and nut mix) goes in their foraging toys. I will also weave leafy greens in their cage bars, and will hang fennel tops, carrot tops, bamboo shoots, and any other long, frilly greens in their cages. As much as possible I want them to work for their food. And they love it! I've never kept or fostered a bird who hasn't become enthusiastic participants in this way of life. :)

Last edited:

BayuCah'ya

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emily
Oh, and another tip that I forgot to add: I thoroughly wash the sweet potatoes and squash before I boil them so that I can use the boiled water from them to cook the grains. Since a lot of nutrients get leeched out of the taters and squash into the water, and since grains absorb most of the water they're cooked in, the nutrients lost from the taters and squash get absorbed into the grains. That way there's a minimal nutrient loss in the cooking process.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow!! what an awesome recipe! I'm so going to be making this soon for my flock!

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Thank you for the detailed instructions!

Sounds wonderful! I feed a huge variety of things already, but I like the idea of the frozen mix with a little bit of everything every day.

I have two cockatiels, so I'll see about scaling down a bit. Thinking cap is on!

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
If your birds haven't eaten chop before, it would be wise to try making it on a much smaller scale at first. I've tried a number of times, with various recipes, and with no success as yet. Fortunately, the chickens have always loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.