• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie Bird Mom

CanaryMary

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bobbi Germain
I just rescued two canaries. One is green. I think they are molting (sp?), because there are feathers everywhere! The green one seems to be becoming more yellow. I think this may indicate a deficiency of carotenoids in his diet, and I am working on that. I cannot get to the avian vet until September 7. Any tips will be so very much appreciated.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Offer a good canary seed mix and some greens or vegetables, and maybe a bit of egg or egg food as they’re molting. If your geeen bird is getting yellower, perhaps it’s growing up? Carotenoids are related to orange or red coloration.

CanaryMary

Real Name
Bobbi Germain
Thanks. I have offered carrot (orange) and raspberries (redr ) and the little stinker won't eat them! They don't seem to kno Thaw much about green vegetables either (I've tried several) -- except baby spinach, which they "inhale". But I read that I must not give them spinach more than once a week. They do like chopped hard-boiled egg, which I also am to give only once a week. I think you may be correct -- the green bird is much smaller than the yellow one. Maybe I will lose this wonderful green coloring! Thanks for your super advice.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
If you’re worried about giving spinach too much, but they love greens, what about romaine or other leaf lettuce? That doesn’t contain oxalates.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:welave:

CanaryMary

Real Name
Bobbi Germain
If you’re worried about giving spinach too much, but they love greens, what about romaine or other leaf lettuce? That doesn’t contain oxalates.
Thanks. I have read that romaine and leaf lettuce contain mostly water and are not that beneficial for the bird. I was really hoping to get some orange and red for them -- in the event they need more carotenoids.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome! :cheer:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I don’t mean iceberg lettuce but the dark green or reddish leaves. I thought romaine and leaf lettuces were healthy. If you’re looking for carotenoids HIW about peppers, including hot peppers; orange squash, cooked or raw; carrot, possibly minced?…. Broccoli florets are tempting to many birds esp with seed squished into the florets and have lots of vitamins too

the red and orange foods will make newer feathers look more red or orange.
You can find hot peppers that the birds may like more in import food stores. Im betting that pepper cores and seeds will be enjoyed by canaries as they are by parrots.

while they’re molting and growing new feathers I’d give the egg more often. Or buy dry egg food and feed as recommended for molting birds. My birds are molting and are going to get more little protein treats in the next month or so.

CanaryMary

Real Name
Bobbi Germain
Thanks for this fantastic information.