• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Young Tiel

kczoe321

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Kerri
Hi guys!

So yesterday I went to a pet store to get food for my fish and I couldn't help but look at the birds. There was this one cockatiel that ran up to the side of the cage and attempted to follow me through the glass. I am a sucker for friendly birds, and this one was so cute that I stared at him or her for a long time before asking an employee if I could hold him. (Not sure if this bird is a male or female but I don't like calling birds "it" so i'm just going to say "him")

The employee told me that the cockatiels that I was looking at were not friendly because they were not hand fed and tried to direct my attention to another cage with a lone tiel in it. I looked at the bird in front of me, who was trying to climb the glass to get onto my presented finger, and asked if I could try to hold him anyway.

The employee was shocked that he was so friendly and could not believe it when the bird did not even try to fly away, but instead calmly perched on my arm.

I was hooked from that moment on.

Baby tiel came home with me, and he is just the cutest thing ever. He reminds me of Blue when he was young.

I have him set up in a completely different room as Blue, for the sake of quarantine. My hope is that eventually they can be introduced and get along. I would never cage them together, as Blue is very territorial of his cage, and I know that he would not enjoy sharing his space. I know that it is a very real possibility that they might not get along, especially since Blue is a feisty parrotlet. I am going to take it day by day.

I have a few questions for you guys. This bird is already so different than Blue that I feel inadequate at reading his body language and vocalizations. He seems to be incredibly friendly and somewhat awkward and bumbling in his movements. He seem to be more comfortable on me than in his cage, and when he is in there and sees me he tries to get out, almost frantically.

One thing that he does that I do not understand is bob his head when I talk to him and let out a dinosaur-esque trill. It does not sound like any other cockatiel noise that I have heard so far. It almost reminds me of a baby bird noise, but the people at the store told me that he was a few months old (they did not know his exact birth date). The head bobbing confuses me. Blue has never done this.

If you guys have any advice for me, about anything at all, I would greatly appreciate it. I genuinely adore this forum and love reading all of the posts on here.

I will attach a picture of the new young tiel, it's not possible to tell their gender until their first molt, right? Or am I wrong?

I tried to post a video of his head bobbing/dinosaur squacks but I cannot figure out how to do it on here.

Here he or she is! (Sorry about the long winded post) :swoon:

IMG_3652-1.JPG

(Ps. I am holding millet to try to coax him into eating, is that wrong? Blue is not interested in millet at all but I thought that Cockatiels loved it)

Catarina

Strolling the yard
Aw such a story :heart:
Looks like a pretty girl to me but I could be mistaken.
Not sure about the head movement, did you get a vet consult? Some parrots have some movements they repeat just for fun could be it.
Cockatiels are quite sociable with diferent species so with a bit of luck you parrotlet may have a new friend, at least to look/talk too. My late cockatiel and parrotlet loved each other tho the parrotlet was a ton more dominant.

Maybe the tiel will warm up to the millet, some forget big things can be food so maybe try giving small pieces.
Sorry for not being able to offer more help but I have to say looks like you got a sweetie on your hands. And baby tiel choose to be with you and that is so speciale

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
Looks like a baby girl to me. Is/was she very vocal? I personally wouldn't worry too much about being cage clumsy, she's just not used to it yet. This is and old video of Pepper trying to get me to let him out and sometimes he would lose his footing
She's beautiful!

IceTiger

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marisca
He/She looks so pretty. If I had a guess I would say he is about 3 - 4 months old because when I got Gracie-Nita at 3 months old she barely had any spikey hair do. Just 2 really small feathers standiing up. His seemed to have a little growth to it

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Congrats - very cute! At only a few months old - too young to tell if male/female by coloring. My males were very vocal at just a few months - lots of whistling, warbling, etc.
and the head bobbing and trilling (if I am understanding what you mean) almost sounds like he is wanting to be fed.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Very cute tiel! Baby tiels are notoriously clumsy. You may want to keep his/her perches low until you can make sure he/she can safely maneuver. And tiels are very social little creatures. They love to be with you- and they love millet. :)

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Congrats! S/he is beautiful! Baby 'tiels are so cute :xflove:

GoPack

Strolling the yard
What a great story and a beautiful little bird!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:congrats5: On your new tiel! He's adorable (or she). I like that he chose you to be with!:heart: Has he eaten much since you brought him home? Maybe the sound he makes is because he is hungry. I'm not sure about the head bobbing. Make sure you let him practice playing alone on a play stand and in his cage, as well as being with you. When he does ask to come out, and you're busy, just call and talk to him as you go about your business. He will eventually learn he has to wait, and you will let him out when it's time to play. A loose schedule helps a lot.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations on your beautiful baby.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
What a beautiful baby you have, congrats!
I just love baby 'tiels. :heart:

Wishing you many happy years with him or her! :)

kczoe321

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Kerri

Okay so here is a mild version of his head bobbing and dinosaur sounds. Are these normal Cockatiel vocalizations?

I'll have to get a better video of him doing it :smileflower:

Sorry if i'm being crazy, i'm just a new Cockatiel momma and i'm trying to get to know him :pinklol3:

(Ps. Don't mind my sister singing in the background at the end)

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
OMG adorable. It reminds me of how we got Buddy. We absolutely weren't going to get a 'tiel, having just lost one, went to the bird store, and she just latched on.
Congratulations!

jk0801

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenna
:omg:
He/She is absolutely adorable!!! I am obsessed!

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your gotcha story is delightful! :fairy:

I think your tiels bobbing and screeching is her begging to be fed. Are you sure she's finished being weaned? Has she been eating for you?

I've heard some folks talk about feeding warmed baby food on a spoon to young birds. Maybe you could also soak some pellets and put in in there too.

Your new baby is super cute :swoon:

kczoe321

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Kerri
@CeciliaZ @Tiel Feathers @Aubrey I managed to get a better video of him making his strange dinosaur squawks. Last night he kept going onto my shoulder and pressing up against my face or head as close as he could and let out these noises. I'm not sure what to make of them, but maybe they are normal for a tiel?

What do you think?

(Sorry about the bad lighting)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is the eating enough? Some baby tiels regress when they enter into a new home and need to go back to formula. He's really cute.

kczoe321

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Kerri
That is a great tip about the perches, @sunnysmom I will lower them right away. He is so awkward! :spinlol: He hasn't quite figured out how to maneuver onto and around the different perches yet, and I am a little concerned that he hasn't been able to find the food or water dishes yet. He will eat and drink out of them when I have him out and hold them up to him but I have yet to see him eat or drink in his cage.

Maybe he is making those noises because he's hungry?

Or maybe i'm just a worry wart :cool: