• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New to Umbrella Cockatoos

Award

Moving in
Real Name
Alison Ward
We are currently fostering an umbrella cockatoo and I would very much like to keep her. She is 22, has only ever had one other home and is gentle and sweet. My first love is African Grey's (we have 3) and I have never been drawn to bigger birds, I know nothing about Cockatoos and don't know where to start. I have loads of questions, but first and foremost she regurgitates a lot when in her cage. As far as I can make out she doesn't seem to be doing it to any particular object. Is this unusual?
Many thanks

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your new foster baby. I'll tag some people who can answer better than me. You're sure she's regurgitating and not vomiting?

@cassiesdad ? @Sylvester ? @JLcribber ? @BirdEE ?

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
She sounds like a sweetie whom you're lucky to have found!! The regurgitation isn't typical though - you should get her to a good avian vet asap. Is she eating? Is it accompanied by violent head-shaking? Does it have a smell? Try to keep her eating, and especially drinking, until you get her in.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You're sure she's regurgitating and not vomiting?
...is she head bobbing before and during the regurgitation? If so, that could be that she wants to "feed" something, or someone. Has she "assumed the position" for mating...even though there's no one else in the cage?

You probably know the difference between vomiting and regurgitation...vomiting is more a forceful stream...regurgitation, a slower (usually) thicker substance.

If you have concerns, it's always best to talk to your AV...

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I don't think it's as common in cockatoos as it is in macaws - if she's doing it in her cage, rather in response to affection, I'd check it out. I would also keep track of her weight on a daily basis for now.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Regurgitating is unusual with female cockatoos. My first stop would be an avian vet and do a culture and sensitivity and blood chemistry to make sure it isn't a health problem. I would suspect a health issue before a behavior one in this case.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You have bird experience. It not much different. There's going to be a honeymoon (3 weeks to 6 months) before you will see her true character.

Has she (ever) been to a vet? That is always the first order of business to get a baseline condition and diagnosis/treatment for any disorders. Thank you for fostering.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
I’ve never personally dealt with the regurgitation for being sick (thank god) or mating (I see it coming in body language and I quickly divert his attention). I would definitely take the advice from the others above and see a vet. It could be mating, as every bird is different, I would just find it a tad unusual given you have not had her there long she’s doing this out of mating behavior. This being because of what JLcribber said, you’re well at the beginning of where they’re still scared and haven’t let their guard down. Which leads me to believe maybe it’s something for a Vet to check out. In the mean time, consider things such as diet changes since she’s lived with you, sleep schedule changes, etc. Moving is stressful, especially for cockatoos who tend to bond strongly to their owners. And She could have picked something up during the relocating.

Given its unusual behavior for a female if it’s mating, are you sure it’s a female? Has she laid an egg for the previous owner or been DNA tested? She could be a He. And it is that time of year. I happened to walk in on a “session” my cockatoo was having with a toy in his cage when I came home from work the other day......I have since moved the toy so he couldn’t lay it on his neck (that’s his thing for some reason).

Last edited: